.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 Plus v0.1

I was wary to try this mod because of .exe modification and judging from the download stats quite a few other people feel the same way.

But as part of building up the modlist I gave it a look and was very impressed, particularly by the sprite extraction and modification. So I thought I'd ask if it's ok for me to repackage this mod into replacement nations, making it 3.06 compatible in the process. It would use standard mod structure - no extra .exes or anything of the kind. I thought I saw a singularity post around here recently,...

If he's still working on the mod then maybe he'll release a version in the future - I'd love to see that.

On the other hand, if he's leaving the project behind or has no plans to continue,.. I can make it more accessible to people so they can enjoy his work (some of which is very impressive indeed).
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:56 AM

Corporal

Singularity24601 is on a distinguished road
Default Is it just me?

Hello peoples,

I'm back from overseas, but I'm putting Dominions 3 on hold for the moment, as I am currently in my most important semester at university and what little time I can afford is currently spent working on other projects (eg, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms).

However, within a few days, I will repackage my mod to work without .exe modification (glad to see that a #charge command has been implemented), with optional instructions for .exe editing for aesthetic reasons.

PS: Is it just me? Realistically, I would think that armies would be composed mainly of cheap units, with a minority elite. However, I find that in Dominions games, I invariably conquer the territories surrounding a fortress, then churn out the maximal number of the most expensive units for the rest of the game, making all the cheaper units useless save at the ultra early game. I believe this discrepancy can be solved if units cost *time* as well as material resources. Perhaps if the "resource" costs were multiplied... although "resource" costs are only partially equivalent to time cost, reflecting production "bandwidth" but not "latency".
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it just me?

Cool - good of you to do so :]

I totally agree with you about some units in every lineup seemingly becoming useless. I personally like to play with armies of the more common uits and only a few elites, for thematic reasons,.... but I also attempt to make it so in my mod nations the elites (particularly sacreds) aren't automatically the only thing worth building. I believe the counterbalance mod also attempts to do something about this, although I can't really get into it without some kind of explanation of the rationale behind it. Certainly making useless units usable greatly increases the variety of the game and it also helps the AI out - it won't matter if they throw money into non-sacred non-elite units if they're getting a good deal.

I'd also like to see games without indy poptypes - that way the armies of a nation would be more accurately represented - instead of fighting Abysia and getting swarms of horse brothers, generic archers and amazons charging at you. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is,.. a new map possibly? This would also assist the AI and would assisst the creation of more potent AI only nations, since you could be sure they'd be building their optimal national lineup.
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Corporal

Singularity24601 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it just me?

Sorry for the delay peoples, some issues came up... Also, I won't be around for another 2+ months. Anyway, here's my old mod updated to run with v3.06 and not require .exe modification. However, this also means that the "Argyraspists" have been renamed to "Silver Shields", since the old name conflicts with the existing "Agyraspides" mercenaries.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 513341-Dominions3Plusv0.11.zip (109.7 KB, 95 views)