Old December 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post
I created a chm file of the game guide. Please check whether it is useful.

I use firefox myself and there is no problem.
Perfect!!!! Thank you very much!

I just finished a 36 turn random game, US vs. Germans, January 1930.

I had a fair number of light tanks, and he had a HUGE number of halftracks! One of my tanks had 8 kills!

I blew up an enormous number of his troops, but still only got a marginal victory...despite controlling all the vp hexes. I did lose three of my tanks, however.

Quick question:

Is there a quick and dirty ratio between the number of hexes vs. the number of build points? I used 750 points, for a 40 x 40 map, meeting engagement, and it seemed a little light on forces.
Try campaigning,at least you and your units will improve from experience.
Did you lose alot infantry or did your HQ's get beat-up?
I have times where The AO barely survived,and was thankful to get a marginal to go on and fight another day
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Private

DennisS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Try campaigning,at least you and your units will improve from experience.
Did you lose alot infantry or did your HQ's get beat-up?
I have times where The AO barely survived,and was thankful to get a marginal to go on and fight another day

OK, understand that this is the first battle I played to completion, and without reading the rules. I did run through the tutorial. The first (lame) attempt at a scenario, I never even attempted to use the "R" key...and really didn't have the concept of "command" down.

As a retired Master Sergeant, I fully appreciate span of control, and command, control, and communications. I am pleased that these concepts are treated with the respect they deserve.

So, in this first real attempt, this is how I purchased my forces:

40 x 40, heavily wooded, spotty fields offering decent fields of fire.

750 points, I am the Americans, January 1930.

The points may not work out to be perfect, memory is tricky at my age..heh heh.

One spotter aircraft
Light tanks, a dozen or so.
One company of leg infantry.
Three mortars, 81's I think.
Four machine guns, medium and heavy.
Two scouts...on foot
One arty spotter

I had no transport (mistake #1), and had to leg it to the victory locations. There were two large groupings of flags, and I sent about 40% of my forces to each one, and kept a small reserve on the north-south road between the two areas, including all four of my machine guns.

I sent two of my light tanks along the northern and southern roads, each generally oriented east-west. I found good locations just off the road for all four, and gave them instructions to not shoot until stuffses were within 4 hexes.

Well...along the northern road, a TON of personnel carriers came along. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! It took a couple of shots from the 37mm popgun to kill them all, and heaven knows how much infantry was killed along with them.

This was the key to this game. I don't know how many points the AI spent on these APC's, but I never saw another one during the game.

The northern vp area was eventually attacked, en masse, by fair number of infantry units, I would estimate about 20. I shifted my machine guns to the north, and found excellent fields of fire for each.

My vp locations were on the west side of a major road, and any assault HAD to come across the road. They never made it...a PERFECT kill zone. I zeroed in my mortars on the other side of the road, and brought up the reserves.

The AI had some artillery, and I used my A0 to un-suppress units just about every turn. This worked out pretty well.

Don't know what I will try tonight, there is no way I am up to a campaign yet...have to figure out the mechanics.

I have all the Combat Mission games, Advanced Tactics, and a slew of other games, but this one is the best, by far.
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

try fighting in the pacific, LOTS of wood, near 0 open ground, SMGs, satchels and grenades are you best friend there IF you play some allied nation, say usmc, you'll have more smgs than the japanese, giving you a better chance as you'll usually be fighting at 50 yards from your enemy, if not already on melee (get rangers/commandos/native troops for melee)
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:56 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Game manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post
chm is a format for help files by Microsoft. I think it stands for Compiled HtMl. MS provides a free tool "HTML workshop". Basically it can compile a group of html files into a single file. It should be working under win98 or later, IIRC.

Are you using Linux, or win95?

BTW
If you can use FF or IE to view GG, use it. For the chm I created, you can't use "open in new tab" to have a full view of a page -- the index side form is always there. I don't how to get rid of it, not a good user for the help workshop.
I'll have to grab it at home, as usual our Techo Overlords won't let anything though that would improve the functioning of this machine!!! ^&**^$^)(&!!!!

Thanks
Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe