.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 30th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. In Progress.

Do I understand it right that hosting has been postponed because of server problems, heh? If I don't complete my turn now and then stale like Pythium did, I will be very unhappy. If hosting has not been postponed, please, let's change the timer NOW so that it shows correct time.
Or another proposal. If we can't trust server time, let's give it up altogether and post valid hosting time here like it is done in manually hosted game (PashaDawg's games are a good example)
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Finalgenesis
Yes, you will run out of gold very fast, much faster than you expect it. And, as I said, words and guides are good on paper and if you manage to make a good and efficient killing machine of your generated chaff, I'll say "WOW!". Seriously, they're absolute crap, especially for LA where armor is so high. If they manage to do 1hp damage each before they die, that'll be great.
Research really turns the tides for R'lyeh. Alteration spells convert this chaff into decent troops but you won't live long enough to see it in action. Or maybe you will live... With 10 provinces, 5000 pop total and 150 research per turn by turn 30. That makes little difference

The difference between Ermor and R'lyeh is that Ermor needs little to no money at all and thus can spam castles and temples, recruit mercs, etc. R'lyeh, OTOH, needs money for EVERYTHING (including the chaff you have to pay for, remember it. And you will be crying when you realize that you have 2000 mad tritons eating 200 gold each turn that you have absolutely no way to use and absolutely no way to get rid of. Well, maybe make them starve, but that's tricky and problematic as well)

Quote:
I get the impression that shifting to void specter and other summons is a must later in the game.
Are you serious? With 35% sites (LA standard) and 15 water provinces you'll have about 8S per turn unless you're very lucky (or very unlucky). Void spectre costs 25, IIRC. What are you talking about?
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano View Post
Do I understand it right that hosting has been postponed because of server problems, heh? If I don't complete my turn now and then stale like Pythium did, I will be very unhappy. If hosting has not been postponed, please, let's change the timer NOW so that it shows correct time.
Or another proposal. If we can't trust server time, let's give it up altogether and post valid hosting time here like it is done in manually hosted game (PashaDawg's games are a good example)
Ano, what are you raving on about now?

The server was freezing up sometime after the last host. Gandalf reset the timer and everything seems to be working fine. This gives ya a little extra time to account for the frozen period. I don't show any stales for last turn in the stats file.

I see that AI Eriu is now dead (main post to be updated). Who has done this terrible thing? I suspect it was the Supplicants. Now I man is looking for a fight, and we challenge you to bring it to them ASAP.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Ano, what are you raving on about now?
I'll tell you. I just want things to be predictable, nothing more.
Quote:
Which gives ya a little extra time to account for the frozen period.
I just want to know if server time reflects real hosting time and if you will not again change 48 to 8 or smth like that. If this time everything is fine, I'm glad because I'm having terrifically hard days now and thus not much time to play.
Quote:
Now I man is looking for a fight
Didn't understand this sentence
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:56 PM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano View Post
Are you serious? With 35% sites (LA standard) and 15 water provinces you'll have about 8S per turn unless you're very lucky (or very unlucky). Void spectre costs 25, IIRC. What are you talking about?
No need to overreact there, I am perfectly aware of my inexperience and limitation of having only tried LA Ry in SP games. Those are some good points and I'm getting the urge to wring out more experienced player's advice on these issues, but I'll refrain in this case.
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
No need to overreact there
Sorry, if this sounded rude or something. I didn't want that. It's just still strange for me why so many people still consider LA R'lyeh and uber-power. Perhaps, they never tried playing them in a competitive MP. I'm not talking about you here. It's quite understandable that you read what others write and base some of your opinions on that

And the idea that needs to be learned from my post about Void Spectres is that unless you have serious reasons to think you'll have many gems (clams are a serious reason, for example but this way is also not so easy for the Dreamlands) you should not plan summoning many arguably effective things for 25+ gems. You will be always short on gems and never have enough of them if you play competitively.
LA Ermor can count on its summons because it has a 15D income right off the bat. R'lyeh has 3S. It's easy to compare
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Ano, as far as I can tell the current time is as reliable as it's gonna be unless something else goes wrong or delays are requested. I have not asked Gandalf to correct the time down because of the freeze problem. And so people have some extra time to play around with this turn.

Sorry I meant AI Man.

Speaking of turn time, we are scheduled to go to 56 hours around turn 30. I am considering putting that off till turn 40. Personally I have plenty of time right now and not many provinces to worry about, but that is just me however. I will hear opinions on the subject though.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; June 30th, 2010 at 05:25 PM..
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I strongly object.
Moreover, I must tell you that karnoza will be going on vacation from July, 10 till 24 or so. So I will have to play for 3 nations during that period (currently I'm controlling C'tis and Ermor as you know). That's a bit much for me, especially considering the complexity and size of the turns.
Even if it wasn't so, still the further the game goes the bigger demand for communications is. Team game normally needs much more time than a regular MP and it is currently very hard for us to do turns inside 48h timer. I'd suggest even further increasing the timer but I will wait with this suggestion until there's a desperate need.
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:56 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

If there are any objections (and looks like there are) then we will proceed as normal as per the schedule until we reach an agreed upon maximum. I will initiate 56 hours as of turn 31.

I still suggest Ano, you not play more than a single nation if you can help it. The time demands on you will only grow as your province count increases, not to mention skewing the experience level of the team. Though with less players, the communication overhead should be less.

I recommend shedding some of those extra provinces to reduce your workload. Children of Crom will be happy to take over those burdensome provinces from C'tis. Just let us know which provinces you need us to take over in the west. Please raze the temples, but leave the labs intact. Thanks.

Last edited by Septimius Severus; July 1st, 2010 at 02:05 AM..
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:38 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Hmm, regarding the indy nation for game 3, looks like Atlantis in the middle of that small sea would require a resource bonus as their cap can't gather resources from sea provinces.

R'lyeh is a fun option and can be played with high growth, high order, low dom, for players like Ano who are concerned about freespawn MM, income, or dom effects. Not necessarily the best way to play the nation though.

It should also be possible to mod crab hybrids and slave units to be amphibious. Which would be something of a bonus.

Other option is to go with a strictly land based indy, possibly LA Ermor or whatever else is left.

Last edited by Septimius Severus; July 1st, 2010 at 06:48 AM..