.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 9th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Sergeant

magnate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: What other games are people playing??

Do those of you who play MtG Online use the free MTGplay or the nasty WotC Online thing (where you have to buy virtual cards!!)?

I've installed MtGplay and it looks fabulous but I can't find anyone to play with - I find doing it with totally anonymous strangers not very satisfying, 'cos you can't discuss it with them afterwards ....

Just checking out the new Anacreon now - TVM Cainehill!!

CC
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Corporal

Aikamun is on a distinguished road

Like these threads every once in a while. Have decided to leave MMORPG's behind. They have a community but minimal gameplay. Returning to strategy games. My Favorites are:

Dominions 2
Space Empires 4

Downloaded Titans of Steel, Anacreon 2, and the Chaos League Demo. Believe it or not, I am an old Blood Bowl fan. Threw out complete sets of Advanced Squad Leader, Starfleet Battles, and Car Wars but kept all of my Blood Bowl stuff. Shocked to see this game returning to computer.

I will weed these five games down to three so as to receive more enjoyment from the best.

Thanks again for the thread and info,
Aikamun

Editted: Instead of Anacreon 2, evaluating the Hyperion Mod for Emperor of the Fading Suns.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:35 PM

Corporal

KroolDeath is on a distinguished road

This has been an interesting thread indeed. There is quite a mixture of gamers playing Dom2, which is a good thing. We've seen pure stragetists, folks who like multiple genres, etc. Its even given me some insight on some other games I might like to try that aren't necessarily mainstream so many, like me, may not have heard of them.

Keep em coming folks!

Krool
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:38 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Aikamun said:
Have decided to leave MMORPG's behind. They have a community but minimal gameplay.
That's one of my big gripes against them. Do any of them have any sort of real persistent universe in which a player's (or guild's) actions actually matter? Where there's a real, threaded storyline whose flow you can actually affect, instead of the typical scripted "events" developers occasionally throw in, which the game companies have confused with the concept of "content"?
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:48 PM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road

I wish a mmorpg like that actually came out but comon I bet years will pass before one like that comes out.
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:23 AM

Private

mmalficia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Truper said:

Have you been playing Hyperion MP? I was a big fan until Matt came out with the Version that increased all the movement allowances to what I thought were absurd levels. I stopped playing it at that point. I'd be interested to know if you're playing that Version, and if so, how much you enjoy it.
grin well hes up to a gamma release of the curent Version MP's are toned down for the most part still a few "fast" units left in the later epochs (new for gamma to help the ai compensate theres 3 files that change reserch and production values for the ai players early,mid,late game .. that and certain transports now cost massive amounts but generate a limited amount of income .) MP is good but i mainly play on my laptop solo as games tend to drag out over weeks at a time :> all in all think the old engine is pushed as far as it can go .. hence my wish for a new Version ..

i still play a bit of SPWAW too but theres just to much of a learning curve to even atempt to not embarase the hell out of myself in mp against most of the diehards that play ..

far as MTGplay im just looking into it to keep tabs with my bro not about to pay to buy decks got better things to spend my cash on. i spent some time in the irc chat getting to know a few folks thou and was a mixed experience.

Mmal
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Sergeant

magnate is on a distinguished road

That's the whole point about MtGplay - you don't have to pay anything. You download all 11000 cards and make decks and play with them. It's only the official WotC Version ("Magic Online") which requires you to buy virtual cards. Bloody scammers.
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Aikamun said:
Like these threads every once in a while. Have decided to leave MMORPG's behind. They have a community but minimal gameplay. Returning to strategy games. My Favorites are:

Dominions 2
Space Empires 4

Downloaded Titans of Steel, Anacreon 2, and the Chaos League Demo. Believe it or not, I am an old Blood Bowl fan. Threw out complete sets of Advanced Squad Leader, Starfleet Battles, and Car Wars but kept all of my Blood Bowl stuff. Shocked to see this game returning to computer.

I will weed these five games down to three so as to receive more enjoyment from the best.

Thanks again for the thread and info,
Aikamun
I think you can only download old "Titans of Steel" the freeware Version, wich lacks tons of new pathes/improvements/weapons and most of all lacks compaigns. You need to get "Titans of Steel: Warring Suns " (which is commercial sequel) to get the full enjoyment of this game. (unless of course you meant that you got the comercial Version from the warez site )
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
magnate said:
That's the whole point about MtGplay - you don't have to pay anything. You download all 11000 cards and make decks and play with them. It's only the official WotC Version ("Magic Online") which requires you to buy virtual cards. Bloody scammers.
I'm curious:

1) Does the software enforce the rules?
2) Is it legal?

I used to play MtG a lot back at college, but I stopped around Homelands. I never had any lotuses or moxes, but I still have an unlimited Timetwister, and a bunch of dual land cards.

I agree that sealed deck is probably the most fun way of playing it, unless you find someone who's willing to forgo "power gaming" and play theme decks. Some of the most fun games I've had include playing an Ice Age deck against a Fallen Empires deck.

The absolutely coolest deck I've ever seen was a Lich deck.
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mmalficia said:
i still play a bit of SPWAW too but theres just to much of a learning curve to even atempt to not embarase the hell out of myself in mp against most of the diehards that play ..

I play it mainly in Sp in self designed battles because i love the tank simulation there I don't play it in mp because of similiar reasons . I don't know how big the battles are there but i guess with lots of units and so it isn't fun anymore when i have to manage 500 units .
Tanks aren't cost effective there probably in mp cause PaK/Anti-tank infantry is much cheaper but in close combat they kill tanks with ease .
I personally like tank battles there but find the infantry management too cumbersome

I once was tempted to start a mpgame of SPwaw but when i read a bit on the board first and saw a recent discussion where ppl said that they like to use flak guns / tanks as a multipurpose weapon because they are so costeffective i thought i don't want to play this way .