This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How is the game now?

Much better as of late. The patches have fixed many of the more glaring bugs, I'm more used to the UI quirks, and I really like the gameplay. With the Balance Mod, the AI can really survive well -- even small low tech ships are quite durable to combat.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:23 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

Well, the AI can perhaps survive, but he can't actually kill a player. For that matter, 10 AIs together couldn't kill a player, even a newbie. The attack part of the AI scripts are really incomplete, especially in regards to the fog of war feature. Other than that, most bugs are being sorted out.

Personally I don't really enjoy playing the game all that much, though. The new modding possibilities are great, combat is an improvement, and there are several other smaller improvements as well, but the user interface and the main windows are so awkward and slow that it takes away much of the fun with the actual gameplay.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
GuyOfDoom said:
Quote:
Slick said:
I wouldn't. I got the latest patch just for possible future use, but I can't even muster enough interest to check out all the fixes because I just don't find it fun. And none of the fixes address the things that make the game unfun. Except 1: the game now should process turns when minimized - great, but not enough.

I'm playing other games.
I get increasingly confused about comments like this. Honestly I think any critiques of this game right now are just being nitpicky. The game is the best 4X game out there right now.
What you consider nitpicky, I don't. I know what I consider fun, and SE:V aint. I was responding to the original question by another user. Sorry if it confused you.
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Sergeant

GuyOfDoom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Slick said:

What you consider nitpicky, I don't. I know what I consider fun, and SE:V aint. I was responding to the original question by another user. Sorry if it confused you.
I'd be curious to know what you consider fun then.
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
GuyOfDoom said:
Quote:
Slick said:

I'd be curious to know what you consider fun then.
Wow, that was probably the most ridiculous reply ive seen in the last few weeks. Cant you just acknowledge his opinion regarding SEV ? He says he dont have fun while playing it, there is absolutly no way to argue over that.
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Sergeant

GuyOfDoom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ragnarok-X said:
Wow, that was probably the most ridiculous reply ive seen in the last few weeks. Cant you just acknowledge his opinion regarding SEV ? He says he dont have fun while playing it, there is absolutly no way to argue over that.
I could easily say that about 95% of the criticism I've heard of SEV. The complaints I hear range from "it runs slow" to "I hate the UI" Which translates to "I've played SE IV for so many years that I hate things that are different."

It's a new game, made by a single person. It's continously evolving and it gets a large amount of support from the developer and interested player base. SE IV was a great game there is no doubt, but instead of continously critiquing SEV how about people volunteer to help fix it.
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
GuyOfDoom said:
"I hate the UI" Which translates to "I've played SE IV for so many years that I hate things that are different."

Uh, no. I don't think the UI is as bad as people say, but it does have issues. (why did the game ship with no condensed lists for units, and why do some screens still not have that option? Why are my custom layouts never saved? Why are some common options stuck into sub-menus? etc)

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

I don't think that's it, Doom. At least for my part, it's got nothing to do with me not liking what's 'different'. And I hadn't even been playing SE IV all that much before SE V was released.

To put things back in perspective, for my own sake, I fired up SE IV again; it's *amazing* how fast and easy it is to interact with ships, colonies, anything in that game, compared to the new one.

Even such a small difference in game mechanics as the 'double-click'( SE V ) vs 'single-click'( SE IV ) makes a big impact on how much you have to 'work' to get things done.

That said, I'm not giving up on SE V until Aaron does.
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Sergeant

Yimboli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Raapys said:
That said, I'm not giving up on SE V until Aaron does.
Or the publisher? *cough* moo3 *cough*
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Phoenix-D said:
"Why are some common options stuck into sub-menus?"

That one is easy; there is not always enough space for buttons, given the massive sizes used. This is particularly true of the construction queue window... oi. When we started complaining about this stuff, Aaron said it was too late to try to restructure the basic framework of the UI... :-\

Yimboli said:
"Or the publisher? *cough* moo3 *cough* "

The developer/publisher relationship between MM and SF1st is not the same as what Quicksilver and... whomever it was... had. AFAIK, SF1st did not contribute (much? any?) money to develop SE5; it was funded by MM.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.