This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Official Request Thread

Please add the ability for a user to delete his own threads, particularly if noone has yet replied to them. I was testing out the new prefix thing to see how it looked, and can no longer delete my posts.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyron View Post
Please add the ability for a user to delete his own threads, particularly if noone has yet replied to them. I was testing out the new prefix thing to see how it looked, and can no longer delete my posts.
Please ask a moderator to delete your threads, and they'll be happy to do so.
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

moderation is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Official Request Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
That would be very cool! And it's nice to have the printable version. But at the top right I see this instead, not "view all":

"Show 50 post(s) from this thread on one page"

The link looks like:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/print...?t=29054&pp=50

I tried doing this, but it didn't help, it still only gives 50 posts:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/print...=29054&pp=9999
I see, yes. So as it is now, a lengthy thread would need to be saved in a series of pages. I'll look into the possibility of improving this down the road.
I hope the option to view all post in a single page is fixed soon. I just tried viewing this forum as printable and got http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/print...?t=40202&pp=10 . Changing it to &pp=50 doesn't help. No matter what do, the forum only lets you see 10 posts at a time. Is the number of posts you can view based on the thread length? In any case, it's rather weird.
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
In my opinion, that is quite lame. Why increase the burden on moderators unnecessarily? Most forums in my experience allow one to delete mistaken threads as a matter of course... Surely the option would be subject to the same 30 minute (?) rule on post edits, and would be disabled if there are any replies.
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderation View Post
I hope the option to view all post in a single page is fixed soon. I just tried viewing this forum as printable and got http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/print...?t=40202&pp=10 . Changing it to &pp=50 doesn't help. No matter what do, the forum only lets you see 10 posts at a time. Is the number of posts you can view based on the thread length? In any case, it's rather weird.
We're not aware that it's broken... The default setting for vBulletin is to show 40 posts per page, and Mindi has raised that to 50. It's likely to stay that way. If we remove the cap, it's possible that loading an extremely lengthy thread into one page would bring the server to it's knees if it happened often enough.

The question is, why are you only able to see 10 posts per page? It shouldn't matter when you're using the view printable version, but have you adjusted the settings in your user cp under edit options?
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyron View Post
Quote:
In my opinion, that is quite lame. Why increase the burden on moderators unnecessarily? Most forums in my experience allow one to delete mistaken threads as a matter of course... Surely the option would be subject to the same 30 minute (?) rule on post edits, and would be disabled if there are any replies.
I agree it's a pain in the butt and I, too, wish it wasn't necessary. Based on past experience, though, this setting will save the moderators time and headaches when fights occur. The reasoning is it's much easier to delete threads than it is to moderate a complaint when evidence has disappeared. If you send me a pm with links to the threads, I'll be happy to delete them.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herode View Post

Still, a little button at the end of each post linking to the top of the page could be nice
There is a "top" link at the bottom of each page. Not sure what we can do about adding one to the bottom of each post...
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post
Could you remove the once a minute cap on PMs?

Jazzepi
Check it out, we may regret it later - but here it is: Shrapnel Games now has a chat feature for the community. This feature can be accessed through the quick links tab on the toolbar. Please understand that this kind of feature cannot be constantly monitored, so please remember that our forum rules apply in chat as well. If you violate the rules in chat, you may be banned from using that feature. If the chat feature becomes a resource for trolls and user fighting, we will have to disable it's use, so please play nice.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
I agree it's a pain in the butt and I, too, wish it wasn't necessary. Based on past experience, though, this setting will save the moderators time and headaches when fights occur. The reasoning is it's much easier to delete threads than it is to moderate a complaint when evidence has disappeared.
Aye. And that's why it shouldn't let one delete a thread that has been replied to (aside from moderators), just threads with only the first post in them (up to the normal editing time limit).

In a fight situation, someone might post a nasty thread, then think better of it and want to delete it. As it is, they can edit out the text, but it still leaves a thread clogging the boards. Of course, if they want to delete it after some flaming went on to cover up the evidence, they should be stymied, same idea as the 30 minute edit rule.

Quote:
If you send me a pm with links to the threads, I'll be happy to delete them.
Somebody had already taken care of it.

Quote:
There is a "top" link at the bottom of each page. Not sure what we can do about adding one to the bottom of each post...
I'd recommend against adding one to each post... Posts are already horribly cluttered with useless cruft as it is. If anything, they could stand to go on an IM and silly progress bars diet! All that really needs to be there is the avatar, edit/quote buttons, who posted it, and when (eg: SEnet's boards). Everything else just makes the task of reading posts more annoying by increasing wasted space and emergent scrolling. If one wishes to look up all the extra info, its just a profile click away!

Last edited by Fyron; August 21st, 2008 at 03:33 AM..
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if anything can be done to trim down on the social networking bookmarks chicklets. Many of these sites I've never heard of.