Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old April 25th, 2016, 10:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: APC Development and related topics.

Tracking these closely...

First good data look at the T-15 BMP with update.
http://www.armyrecognition.com/april..._52504162.html
http://www.armyrecognition.com/russi...res_video.html

BOOMERANG update Don and I have been watching this one for years now. There at one point it seemed like this would be fielded much sooner but, due to economic and technical issues it didn't get off the ground and was in danger of being canceled. This spawned the BTR-82A which is probably Russia's best APC in the field.
http://www.armyrecognition.com/april..._12404163.html
http://www.armyrecognition.com/russi...fication_.html

Just reading my daily newspapers.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old August 13th, 2016, 04:24 AM

Lieutenant General

It is important to be watchful of the the words written into the references used in equipment. I see a growing excitement over certain Russian equipment in this case the T-15 ARMATA APC/IFV. The words that seem to be passed over by some readers in these refs posted are "...based upon..." which by definition is the same "as modified from" etc. etc. The most obvious difference between the T-15 and the T-14 ARMATA MBT is in the engine placement which is front mounted on the T-15 and rear mounted on the T-14 MBT. There will be armor differences as well which are well covered in what we have already available to us on the web. It should be further noted that the T-15 WILL NOT be the main APC/IFV of the Russian Army but will be used instead by more specialized troops. That distinction will fall to the Kurganets-25 and our "old friend" the Boomerang, now more clearly defined as the BUMERANG K-16 APC and K-17 IFV. This discussion would also cover Israels NAMER. Which is about to receive in typical Israeli secretive fashion, a new companion APC/IFV, the EITAN 8x8 which is a major departure from it's normal "tracked armor" frame of mind. They've successfully kept this vehicle "under wraps" obviously for sometime. From what I have thus far, we could be looking at one of, if not, the most advanced and protected APC's out there. Again look at the embolden word in the last sentence. The JANE'S ref I believe was the first to note the EITAN which is included below.
http://www.armyrecognition.com/march...g_vehicle.html
http://www.armyrecognition.com/russi...res_video.html
http://www.armyrecognition.com/augus..._10208162.html
http://www.janes.com/article/62755/i...st-wheeled-apc
http://www.defence24.com/423491,eita...in-advantages#

It would be my hope that we "slow down" just a bit and let the information flow. There is enough equipment that is out there NOW that we don't even have in the game or for that matter has even appeared in any of the threads as of yet.

Trust me I have many files on my system to cover the above. All I'll say is "when I can I will" I just can't do it now and it kills me to know this could be my third year that I probably can't submit to the Patch Thread even if only to be a PITA to Don.

I just feel sometimes we're rushing ahead to meet "certain expectations" only to find as we've discovered not that many years ago, we had to clean up the OOB's of equipment that never got off the ground for various reasons, or were only prototypes or test bed platforms. And if "properly" entered and fielded, we had to modify them in light of newer and better information because they just weren't that "battlefield game changer" everyone thought they'd be when put to the test or they were used beyond "kicking the tires".

Every new car you'd like to buy looks REAL GOOD until you've owned it for awhile, it's the one you don't like quite as much but are wondering about none the less, that'll more then likely be the better car for you. We would call that a "gut feeling" too often ignored with regrets later.

Do you understand where I'm trying to come from here?

Ask yourself why I used the above, from a job I disliked due to industry practices after I retired, but if there's enough of you "it looks REAL GOOD" people out here, just maybe I should reconsider-so I paraphrase-Want to buy a car? !!!

Yep-Still Tracking this equipment and development in my own way.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; August 13th, 2016 at 04:35 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old August 13th, 2016, 10:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: APC Development and related topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
......... This discussion would also cover Israels NAMER. Which is about to receive in typical Israeli secretive fashion, a new companion APC/IFV, the EITAN 8x8 which is a major departure from it's normal "tracked armor" frame of mind. They've successfully kept this vehicle "under wraps" obviously for sometime. From what I have thus far, we could be looking at one of, if not, the most advanced and protected APC's out there. Again look at the embolden word in the last sentence. The JANE'S ref I believe was the first to note the EITAN which is included below. Regards,
Pat

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eitan.png
Views:	417
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	14403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	1424
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	14404  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old August 13th, 2016, 10:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
It is important to be watchful of the the words written into the references used in equipment. I see a growing excitement over certain Russian equipment in this case the T-15 ARMATA APC/IFV. The words that seem to be passed over by some readers in these refs posted are "...based upon..." which by definition is the same "as modified from" etc. etc. The most obvious difference between the T-15 and the T-14 ARMATA MBT is in the engine placement which is front mounted on the T-15 and rear mounted on the T-14 MBT. There will be armor differences as well which are well covered in what we have already available to us on the web. It should be further noted that the T-15 WILL NOT be the main APC/IFV of the Russian Army but will be used instead by more specialized troops
Yeah " based on" could mean a lot of things. For one , nowhere is "concrete" used to desciribe a component of the armour package of the T-14 as it is for the T-15 and the speeds as reported by army recognition T-14 vs T-15 are not the same .....not really even close......70 kph vs 80-90kph. ( maybe it's all that concrete......) and that doesn't make sense if the point of the 15 was to support the 14's The basic chassis may be from the same basic stock but that's where the similarities seem to end,

I'm not making any radical changes to the set up we have now without more info but I acknowledge that I missed some of the ERA first time around but details were even harder to come by first time around

Don

Last edited by DRG; August 13th, 2016 at 11:16 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old August 14th, 2016, 12:11 AM

Lieutenant General

Amen to that.

It seems since the Ukrainian Crisis started and we entered into the "Chilled/or Chilly(?) War" all this equipment is coming out of the woodwork, though in regards to the Russian ARMATA Package that's a long "on again off again" program going back to the "BLACK EAGLE". We respond by moving up the M2A2 SEP V3 program, UK with the CHALLENGER upgrades with Germany, France etc. etc. responding in kind. Australia is practically revamping their entire Army and it's equipment from an Infantry based one to one that'll be more mobile and Armor heavy. Every current truck in their inventory will be replaced by about 4-5 variants of the German MAN family of trucks within the next five years or less. It's the largest military truck deal made in a very long time.

We are in a period now worldwide of the greatest introduction of new equipment we've seen probably since the Cold War. And for us that'll present it's own set of issues which is why I'm being a little more cautious than normal and spending more time tracking and researching many of these pieces of equipment and trying to sift through the data to find the "commonalities" among the many refs out to properly establish as solid a baseline for any given piece of equipment becoming available to us.

Quite frankly, I don't want to spend the next fifteen years "fixing" equipment when I can be playing with it in a game instead.

It's just where my "heads at" right now.

The EITAN Icon looks real good!

Sometimes I wish I had another "me" I could pull out of a box to help me here, however, and I hear you, that thought scares the crap out of me as well let alone what how CINCLANTHOME would feel about that!?!

Anyway Savannah calls in the morning where a little R&R and a couple of "pints" of SMITHWICKS in the evening should set the world right again!

Enjoy your weekend everyone and take care.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; August 14th, 2016 at 12:29 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:23 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
The EITAN Icon looks real good!

Thanks...... once some actual dimensions are published I can adjust the size to match..even a photo of it parked beside something else would be helpful but for now that's "close enough"
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:55 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Nice short video of the Eitan 8x8 HERE
(unfortunately not driven past anything we know the size of)

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old August 14th, 2016, 12:31 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

In the pic is a good view of what appears to be a M2 MG, length of about 1,654 mm (65.1 in). Import it into a photo program (I;m away from my PC atm) and use that as a measure for a rough guess. From looking at the two humans I would guess that from the driver to the beginning of the two rear extensions (just above rear wheel) would be about M113 sized but much taller.
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Nice short video of the Eitan 8x8 HERE
(unfortunately not driven past anything we know the size of)
Yeah that's where I got that top view photo
Old August 21st, 2016, 01:17 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Little update on the new USMC ACV.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...ther/86131020/
I give the BAE variant the edge because they took into account the 13-man USMC rifle squad when designing their vehicle. The SAIC version only carries 11 passengers.
http://www.naval-technology.com/news...-phase-4842337

And in other news it looks like the aging AAV (formerly LVT-7) is getting yet another upgrade.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...tico/81869442/

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein