.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 28th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Private

escafoides is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb friendly All Age game - A Nicer Shade of Green - (Recruiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatus del Dragos View Post
I don't have a preference, because I don't know the difference.
The same here xD.
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Private

Koral is on a distinguished road

CBM preference is 1.82 and I'll play LA ULM.
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

My suggestion for newbs is to try vanilla games for your first MP games. It's best to learn the basics of the game in vanilla before jumping on the CBM train.

Quote:
As for differences, roughly, all CBM versions have some spell price tuning that differs from one version to another and the big changes are; no gem generators after CBM 1.41(clam of pearls, blood stones and fever fetishes), no forge hammers, jade knives and dousing rods after CBM 1.6, and a whole lot of item price changes, added item effects etc, after CBM 1.6.

That's why I suggest a vanilla game for first timers, recent CBM versions can be a big change if you've only played SP so far, and tho this *is a mostly CBM cult forum not all new games start with same CBM versions as two CBM cults now exist, the pre and post 1.7 CBM.
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Corporal

CthulhuDreams is on a distinguished road

Executor is right, fundamentally it boils down to do you think the game is 'better' if you remove gem gens, nerf blood hunting and remove dwarven hammers, at the cost of a ****ton of changes that may or may not be important.

Good advice overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
My suggestion for newbs is to try vanilla games for your first MP games. It's best to learn the basics of the game in vanilla before jumping on the CBM train.

Quote:
As for differences, roughly, all CBM versions have some spell price tuning that differs from one version to another and the big changes are; no gem generators after CBM 1.41(clam of pearls, blood stones and fever fetishes), no forge hammers, jade knives and dousing rods after CBM 1.6, and a whole lot of item price changes, added item effects etc, after CBM 1.6.

That's why I suggest a vanilla game for first timers, recent CBM versions can be a big change if you've only played SP so far, and tho this *is a mostly CBM cult forum not all new games start with same CBM versions as two CBM cults now exist, the pre and post 1.7 CBM.
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:55 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by escafoides View Post
Quote:
The same here xD.
Below is what I wrote on the sister thread as a sort of quick guide to the CBM changes.

---------------------------

A good rule of thumb up until CBM 1.5 was that if it works in vanilla, then it'll work in CBM. (as the transition from vanilla to CBM was fairly easy up until CBM 1.5, as until then CBM mostly only added things to the game by fixing unused/unusable things). Edit - So if you play a nation a certain way in vanilla, then it's very likely to play the same in CBM upto 1.5.

CBM 1.6 removed the gem generating items Clam of Pearls, Bloodstone and Fever Fetish, so CBM 1.6 does play a lot differently to vanilla if you are highly reliant on gem generating items. Otherwise it plays more or less the same.

CBM 1.7+ removed hammers, along with changing a whole host of other things, and adding numerous spells and nation boosts. I haven't played a game with CBM 1.82 to tell for certain how different it is from vanilla, but my guess is it's pretty big, as I'm currently playing a CBM 1.7 game, and I can already tell it has a very different feel to CBM 1.6. (as I played several CBM 1.6 and games, and CBM 1.7 is a different beast all together. Although CBM 1.82 is certainly better than 1.7, but both are a different playing experience to vanilla).

If we go with CBM 1.6, then I'd say you'll be fine with your vanilla knowledge just as long as nothing about your strategy involves gem gens.

If we go for CBM 1.82, then you best bet is simply to play SP game with your nation (and maybe against the other nation in this game) so that you can get some idea what the changes are. But it'll be hard for anyone to give you a good opinion on how 1.82 plays right now, as hardly any games have been played with it for people to know how it plays. (and those MP games that are using it are likely in the early stages)

----------------------------

IMO Executor and CthulhuDreams are largely right in advising new players should play vanilla before CBM, but with the proviso IMO that gem gens shouldn't be part of any game. As they really don't work well at all, and anyone who gets too used to needing them to be competitive in MP games (as several players have in the past), will find it a lot more difficult to adjust to non-gem gen games (which is all games using CBM 1.6+).

But I personally think that playing wise, CBM 1.6 plays close enough to vanilla (with the exception of gem gens) for me to say that it provides a better MP gaming experience for new players than just playing vanilla does. As vanilla has a lot of problems due to the large number of units, summons, items, spells and pretenders (ie. large parts of the base game) that are pretty much unusable due to their cost and/or general uselessness. But CBM addresses most of these problems in versions 1.0 - 1.6, meaning CBM 1.6 provides the most "fun" (fun = variety of strategic options) while still largely maintaining it's connection with the vanilla game. All IMO of course

Last edited by Calahan; February 28th, 2011 at 10:11 AM..
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Corporal

SirMu is on a distinguished road

So yeah, after this discussion I think my vote is still for 1.6
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

Ossa is on a distinguished road

I'd like to join with EA Sauromatia

And I dont mind which kind of CBM we're playing.
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

Ossa i feel the need to challenge your noob status. I'm pretty sure you were in one of my first mp games, and i've seen you in several non-noob games since then, such as YARG1. not saying your trying to sneak in or anything, but i would like you thin about whether or not you really are for this game. most of the other players have less than 3, or even 2 mp games
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

I think Ossa's gave away his true intentions. At least I'm assuming it did. The game is still on 9 players either way
Old March 1st, 2011, 02:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Ossa is on a distinguished road

Oh... I didnt mean to sneak in, I just thought "newb-friendly" did mean that also semiproffessionals could join in. My fault