.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Complete newbie can't get a scenario made to save his life ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrati View Post
The editor is very easy to use. That will be where you set your scenario up. Start with the date for the battle and then onto the map. I recommend using the extended map editor, off of the main menu, it's handy "undo" will be the most important feature you will ever need, as laying roads sometimes take on a mind of its own . You can generate a map with it and then tweek it. Save it ...
Map done, no issues. Saved in slot 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrati View Post
...back to the scenario builder where you now load your map, set your date and now choose opponents and purchase the troops.
This is the issue for me? What scenario editor? Where's the link on the Utilities tab to get to this? Sorry, but Im completely missing this. The HTML help docs don't tell me where this troop purchasingis.
The Scenario Editor comes as a choice under the game main screen. See the large button entitled "EDIT" and try hovering your mouse over that and looking at the information in the hint line at the top of the screen where it says "Build, Edit and Save custom scenarios"....

It really is a good idea to read the Game Guide (AKA "Manual") to find out about the game!

- See the Section entitled "Main Game Screen", and the box describing the buttons available. Press the Link on the Left Hand Side of the display marked "Main Game Screen" to get to this section.

- Either press the blued link in that box marked Editor or the LHS link marked "Scenario Editor"...

-
Quote:
The HTML help docs don't tell me where this troop purchasingis
That's strange, since the scenario Editor section has this text in it, near the top of the sub-section marked "Scenario troop deployment and editing" (in bold too)...
Quote:
Purchase is as for normal battles, but points are unlimited, as the troops on the table are what you decide

Deployment is basically similar to normal battle deployment with loads of extra features added on

Placement of troops is pretty much standard, it is the editing that differs

So
A) Purchasing is much the same as in regular games, which you will already have played before jumping into scenario design. Try reading the section of the Game Guide entitled "Purchase Screen", if not familiar with that process.

B) Deployment/placement Is basically the same as you are used to from playing a standard game. If not familiar, then read the GG section "Deploying Units". Also see the box with the extra deployment screen features available to you described in the Scenario Editor help section.

C) Eventually, you may want to try waypoints in your scenario design. For experienced designers only - see the GG section entitled "Waypoints".

If you have not played any normal battles, then do so to gain familiarity with purchasing and placement etc.
Main Menu Screen -> Battle Button -> etc (see the GG link "Playing a Single Battle" for help)

Andy
Old July 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Private

DaveyJJ is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for your patience. My confusion is coming from the fact that it seems to me that there are two different ways to get to the editor ... from the main play game screen, then also from the tab that says utilities. I do see the troop purchase screen in the help docs obviously, but it did not see specific instructions as to how to get to that screen ... I will read everything more thoroughly after the kids are in bed.
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post
Thank you both for your patience. My confusion is coming from the fact that it seems to me that there are two different ways to get to the editor ... from the main play game screen, then also from the tab that says utilities. I do see the troop purchase screen in the help docs obviously, but it did not see specific instructions as to how to get to that screen ... I will read everything more thoroughly after the kids are in bed.
Internal map editor <> External extended map editor (for CD owners only)

External extended map editor help is in the "CD Extended features" section of the GG ...

Scenario Editor <> Either map editor

Map Editor -> Manipulates map data. Map editor is a completely separate routine. E.g - launch a generated battle and then use "view map" and then use the edit map key. You are now calling the internal map editor screen to edit the prospective map for the forthcoming game, but you are not in the scenario editor.

Scenario Editor -> Edits Scenario data, (Buy troops, place troops, set V-hexes, edit units, Set formation reaction turns, set start line for user campaign scenario, etc) of which the map data is only a single (large) data block. (Maps can be saved off individually). Scenario Editor includes a link to call the internal map editor (just like the view map function) , but when you are editing a map - you have temporarily left the Scenario Editor.

However, casual users tend to refer to "The Editor" as the inclusive set of (Scenario Editor + Internal Map Editor).

Andy