.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some thoughts on improvements to the game

On further checking I have to apologize to Llamabeast. My memory on some fun conversations is tooooo long.

Alneyan ironed out the original pbem stuff. And I think Arralen. I dont remember even playing a pbem Dom game yet much less run one. Esben Mose Hansen if anyone would have (possibly) more credit for initially for a pbem server since he had the first working server up and made the code available. (too complicated for me. Used python and sql)

All I did was a Dom3 webpage but never made it actually start games.
http://www.dom3minions.com/lab/MakeGame.htm
That was way back when there was talk of the possiblity of an official Shrapnel server. I kept popping it up in conversations to show that it could be done.

@LB: I do apologize. The search engine here is crap but it does appear that most of the conversation I remember was almost a year before you started your project. I apologize for thinking you had seen all that before it jumped into your head. We do all appreciate your work (especially me)

Sheesh does anyone else think Im talking about me? The only examples Ive given that Id chalk up to me were the "probably examples of things done wrong" such as mega games and semirand. The only other projects I had major input in are pretty much dead (mostly involving maps and map gens). I was trying to come up with examples where there was lots of discussion on how nice it would be and how it might be done. Maybe I do need to just bow to the idea that we all just do our own $#!^.

Or as Sombre says, maybe it just comes down to the quality. Ive always left that rating up to him. Obviously I can enjoy a discussion no matter how likely it ever might actually happen so Im afraid Im not the one to care about that if its important. It would probably be impossible for me to come up with a conversation that was impossible to do and led to it being done (at least outside of the beta group forum) so I concede.

@QM: Sorry to hear that there isnt much conversation in the threads. I had the impression it was community agreement. I remember many argument threads that had to be stomped about balance which CBM pretty much took care of. I thought those were the first shell of it.
Still awfully good work though. Kudos to you for it.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; June 30th, 2009 at 05:20 PM..
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:21 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Esben Mose Hansen if anyone would have (possibly) more credit for initially for a pbem server since he had the first working server up and made the code available. (too complicated for me. Used python and sql)
Perl, not Python! Unfortunately, to me. But yes, kudos to him for making those things available.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Oh. That was all before my time actually. Maybe I've been repeating his work! Mine's also in perl. Sorry lch!

I think I may try to learn Python sometime soon. C# too.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Nice.

Heehee. The CGI I was working on to act behind that web page was written in BASIC. Almost a certain guarantee that someone would have reworked it. A web app written in basic is sacrilege.
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:40 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
Oh. That was all before my time actually. Maybe I've been repeating his work! Mine's also in perl. Sorry lch!

I think I may try to learn Python sometime soon. C# too.
I've read the game Elemental from Stardock will allow modding of the AI via Python. Lots of other modding options will also be available... might be the perfect place to start.

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
No reason for apologies, it's not uncommon that people come up with the same ideas, knowingly or unknowingly. That doesn't contradict what I have been saying.

I can heartily recommend C# and Python, too. Both are very elegant and powerful. While I've been working a lot with PHP, I create most of my scripts in Python now. It ships with Gentoo Linux and every Mac out of the box, too.
Emergency comic relief