War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM

Private

Andrew.Hope is on a distinguished road
Default A couple of noob questions:

Been playing WinSPWW2 on and off for a year or so now, got a few questions I couldn't find answered in the guide:
  • How can I make my units spot enemies better? I'm doing a Long Campaign as Russia and I keep losing tanks to close assaults even when I've manually (right clicked) scanned a hex several times for enemy troops. I get that your soldiers can't see everything but it's a bit too much when a ready, unbuttoned tank platoon has had 5 turns sitting still looking in a field and seeing nothing, when it turns out there's 9 enemy riflesquads in the field.
  • Truck-loaded infantry and equipment is always risky and it's to be expected that sometimes lucky artillery strikes will completely wipe out whatever you've loaded on to a truck. How can I protect against this? It seems like every map I lose half a rifle company because 20 hexes from the front line the AI dropped 75mm shells right onto my trucks. Are there enemy scouts/FO teams that I've missed calling in these strikes? What can I do to prevent my trucks getting pounded every map by (seemingly) random artillery?
  • No matter where I place my own on-map artillery, by the 10th turn enemy guns are raining down on them. Conversely, I rarely see more than the odd mortar or howitzer in the enemy rear. How can I find more of them (apart from using scout planes) and how can I stop the enemy spotting my own artillery? I've tried placing them behind hills and in forests but nothing seems to work.
  • Last question for now: I play on the biggest-sized map possible and with a full core of 200 for large battles: because I don't like wasting too many spots in my core on trucks, a lot of my infantry walks into battle. I read in the manual about toggling a company to AI control and setting waypoints for them to follow, and this does work, but not really very well. I've tried setting one way point (so there's a 2km line from my platoon to where I want it to walk to), and I've tried setting a dozen little waypoints (so that the lines follow a road or a route through trees, etc.) but using the AI to walk your troops to the front where you can retake control of them never seems to work right, and I'm sure I'm screwing it up somehow. Does anyone have any tips for this? I'd like to avoid the tedious first 10 turns of a battle moving each individual platoon 3 hexes across the map

Appreciate any help.