.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM

Corporal

Mysterio is on a distinguished road
Confused Castle Reinforcement

For all you experts out there, I need an explanation:

My Army A is in my castle that's currently under siege and the walls have been broken down; the enemy can storm the castle next turn. I want my Army B to join Army A behind the castle walls, since I anticipate that the enemy will storm the castle. So, I order Army B via the "Move" command to move into the province with that castle. Why did Army B instead engage the force that's besieging my castle when I didn't give them the "Move and Patrol" order?

Thanks.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM

Sergeant

Slobby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Castle Reinforcement

Once you are besieged you effectively lose control of the province to the enemy. What you could have done is have Army B move into the province and have Army A break siege and they would have combined forces.

The only exceptions that I'm aware of are a) if Army B was composed entirely of stealth units they can sneak into the castle b) if Army B teleported in they would come in through the lab (assuming one is there) bypassing the siegeing force.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM

Corporal

Mysterio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobby View Post
Once you are besieged you effectively lose control of the province to the enemy. What you could have done is have Army B move into the province and have Army A break siege and they would have combined forces.

The only exceptions that I'm aware of are a) if Army B was composed entirely of stealth units they can sneak into the castle b) if Army B teleported in they would come in through the lab (assuming one is there) bypassing the siegeing force.
So, once an enemy is in the province that contains your castle, all friendly units entering the province automatically engage the enemy units (with the exception of the 2 cases you listed)? I wish the manual made that clear, since I would have mobilized Army B sooner. Failing that, like you said, I would have broken the siege with Army A as Army B was entering the province.
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
So, once an enemy is in the province that contains your castle, all friendly units entering the province automatically engage the enemy units (with the exception of the 2 cases you listed)? I wish the manual made that clear, since I would have mobilized Army B sooner. Failing that, like you said, I would have broken the siege with Army A as Army B was entering the province.
It's only logical that a castle under siege won't allow any enemy troops to just walk inside. On the same note the castle under siege won't allow any enemy troops to walk out of the castle unharmed.
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

You can rout from sieges still.

And stealthy troops that come into the fort won't participate in the battle. But all stealthy oens that are in it with orders other than hide will fight.

LA Agartha guide
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:09 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Yeah it's easy to leave a sieged province, you just break siege with retreat orders.