.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 8th, 2007, 05:56 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Production queue limit problems

The queue is too short!

I've hit this before with low-resource units like Shamblers but this time I hit it on good stuff.

I'm playing Helheim. I have Riches from Beneath and Fata Morgana up. I have good scales.

Oops--I tried to recruit a Hangadrott, Helhirding's to my holy limit and Mounted Hirdmen to use up my production capacity. I ran out of ability to queue units before I quite used up my available resources.

Please make the queue longer!!!
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Production queue limit problems

What is the limit? I've never had probs with it.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Sergeant

Nick_K is on a distinguished road

1 commander and 100 ordinary units per province per turn
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Wow, 1300 resources/turn? Presumably this isn't the 3.08 patch or it would be even higher (I don't know how much lightweight scale was increased). Maybe I should give Fata Morgana and Riches from Beneath a second look.

On the other hand, it is somewhat realistic that you can't train unlimited amounts of soldiers even if you have enough blacksmiths to forge all their armor. Maybe each soldier has to get a personally signed plaque from <the new god> before he'll fight, and your pretender can only schedule so much time for each province. Kind of similar to how the commander academy can only produce one new commander per turn because, uh, the commander cadets want their fifteen days of fame (since they know they're going to get killed soon) and purposefully stagger their graduation dates so each one gets his name in headlines all month.

I'm just sayin', instead of a bug in implementation you can think of it as an extra constraint on unit production, albeit one which is rarely a limiting factor.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:59 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Defending an implementational shortcoming with roleplaying logic is funny. Even though the limitation here is justified, as you'll have to set the bar somewhere after all.
Emergency comic relief
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM

First Lieutenant

It is the 3.08 patch.

Note that this is *NOT* my highest resource province, either--I've got one I recently captured that's even higher. Mountainous terrain, it only has 4230 people but it's getting 1313 resources/turn--and that's with a perennial 5 unrest due to a brigand lair.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:33 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

How hard would it be to implement a repeat build feature? A "make unit until out of recources" type thing, with a warning of how many this turn, and a listing of the cost?
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

"repeat build" is handled -to a degree- by shift-clicking (it queues five soldiers instead of one).

The maximum unit limit per province per turn was 50 in Dominions 1 and 2, and was changed to 100 in Dominions 3 to encourage larger non-summoned armies (along with the 50% gold increase). It is not an arbitrary bug, and is there for strategic reasons (albeit slight and mostly limited to the realm of annoyance).

Instead of viewing this as putting a limit on your globals, try castling farmlands (which must have at least half those resources), and recruiting there. If you build a castle in every province, you could end up with many 100's of units per turn (though good luck finding that kind of leadership).
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Fate said:
"repeat build" is handled -to a degree- by shift-clicking (it queues five soldiers instead of one).
That doesn't keep you from having to go back and make new orders frequently. Every turn in case of holy units or commanders.

Quote:
The maximum unit limit per province per turn was 50 in Dominions 1 and 2, and was changed to 100 in Dominions 3 to encourage larger non-summoned armies (along with the 50% gold increase). It is not an arbitrary bug, and is there for strategic reasons (albeit slight and mostly limited to the realm of annoyance).
Why???

Quote:
Instead of viewing this as putting a limit on your globals, try castling farmlands (which must have at least half those resources), and recruiting there. If you build a castle in every province, you could end up with many 100's of units per turn (though good luck finding that kind of leadership).
I didn't build either castle.

The first one is my capital. I don't have the game open right now but it's definitely on a square with normal movement. The second one I captured.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Sergeant

Nick_K is on a distinguished road

Limiting the number recruitable each turn has an effect on gameplay.... but I think that limiting the queue size mainly adds to micromanagement - it's very rare for me to expect 100 units to be built in one turn. In particular, the lack of a queue for commanders leads to a fair amount of micro