.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:44 PM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pretenders?

Well then it's a good thing Nerfix is not spamming his useless ideas here, but rather suggesting a decent pretender.
It seems posting ideas for additions is much more logical here than on a fan site. Please tell me what's so horrible about one pretender idea being mentioned in one thread. If I have an idea can I propose it? And if so should I then deny that it could ever posess any validity? Do I make any sense?
So mods are acceptable but suggesting that the actual developers make changes is some sort of heresy? I just don't understand.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:21 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road

The fact is, you (Zerger, MStavros, Aristoteles) just got mad at Nerflix because he disagreed vehemently with your desire to mod, and now you've decided to be antagonistic toward him.

PLEASE STOP! It's not helping the Boards out any - it's not constructive, and it's kinda immature.

You may think what you like, but please keep it to yourselves.

[ October 02, 2003, 23:18: Message edited by: st.patrik ]
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:41 PM

BANNED USER

Aristoteles is on a distinguished road

decent pretender? LOL
You must be kiddin'.
Everyone can make one, it takes like 60 IQ..
Nerfix had posted too much foolish things already. Making a pretender, posting it here, and asking the devs to implent it to the original game, is just another foolish, idiotic thing.

Constructive ideas can help, but this is NOT an idea, and this is NOT constructive at all.

If you ask me, he just wanted to see his own little pretender in the vanilla game, so he could brag about it later on.
It is incredible, that some of you cannot see it.

[ October 02, 2003, 22:41: Message edited by: Aristoteles ]
Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:12 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I don't want to make maps with unplayable nations due my 1337 tweaks. And no, it doesn't have to be unplayable, but you are stuck with that pretender. What if someone wants to play non-CW Pangaea with Lord of the Wild? I don't like maps that stuff the mapmakers choices down the players throat. Thats why i would like to see ability to make preset but not hard-coded pretenders in custom maps.

And i posted something constructive in the modding thread, so please, would increasing the cost of new magic picks to 40 balance Ancient Lord at all?

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:54 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

I do think this is getting way too personal. Suggestions and brainstorming are healthy things for any project as, even if the ideas in question never make it into the game, they do (normally) provoke enough entertaining discussion to get new folks interested and quite possibly consider taking a look at the demo.

In this case, people seem to getting awfully heated. If anybody is angry at Nerfix for posting his Pretender God idea, then they should stop and consider the fact he asked if anybody was interested and I said yes. Is it rude, then, to ask first and post when encouraged? He has made his feelings on modding perhaps a bit too clear, but he has also attempted to mend some fences there, and it takes maturity to try and put arguments behind one. It is time to live and let live.

We are all fans of the game here. Something to stop and consider before posting is that we also act as representatives of the Dominions community to the new folks now joining it. Many people here on the Shrapnel Boards are discovering Dominions for the first time, having never even heard of it before this new section appeared.

Whether we are looking to do so or not, our Posts here are forming their first impressions of the Dom community. If they like the feel of the game as reflected here, they might just give the demo a try. Even the best games will fade without new blood, and smaller companies like Illwinter and Shrapnel depend more on word-of-mouth than anything else to promote their games. Like it or not, those words are coming out of our mouths, and while nobody exactly has a responsibility towards the game, isn't it worth refraining from acrimony in order help make sure Dominions has a long and healthy future?

Just something to think about . . .
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:17 AM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

Personally I wouldnt consider Dominions 2 as "the vanilla game". It implies that somehow mods are more flavorful whereas in reality I highly doubt Dominions 2 will see a mod sufficiently interesting to be superior to the standard game. Not because I think all mods are bad, but I've seen about one mod for a good game that was better than the standard game. Mods are mainly decent for occasional variety. And with Dominions 2 adding variety isn't too much an issue nor is fixing balance issues I'd imagine.

I like to think of Dominions 2 more as the supreme game.

Not that I don't plan on downloading any LOTR mods...