The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Illegal immigrants sue Wendy\'s...

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
I think we just need to complete the process and annex Mexico. We already have half of the old territory, might as well integrate the rest. Maybe the people could finally get decent lives going without the horribly corrupt governtments they have had for decades/centuries...
"Meet the new boss/Same as the old boss".

I'm not sure that our merely mildly corrupt government would really be an improvement.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

Annexation isn't the way to go all it would do is create another welfare state. US should be exporting cheaper consumer goods to mexico along with forcing mexico to reverse its stance on forbidding americans and american business from owning land in mexico (they are still a wee bit sour about the other northern 2/3rds of mexico we squatted from them I think) allowing Us industries and developers to get down there and make some real in roads.

Also, you want to really get illegal immigrants, set the national language to english and put everything illegal immigrants need in english-only too.
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mephisto said:
As far as I understand it it was a program that required Wendys and the immigrants to participate, not just the immigrants.
Why is hiring someone to do your legal proceedings bad? People are hiring other people all day long to to tasks for them in every aspect of the lives. And if these people mess up why should you not hold them responsible for it?
If I screw up as paramedic or lawyer I will stand to my obligations towards my patients/clients.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that hiring someone to do your legal proceedings is bad. But not following through with your own legal responsibilities or obligations (such as correcting the issues of citizenship, legal work permits, or immigration), then using the legal system to punish someone else who didn't follow through seems a bit bent to me.

If a lwayer, doctor, or paramedic failed at their job, of course they'd be accountable. But then, you can be sure they followed all the appropriate steps needed to get there and become accountable, too.

The issue for me is not that the lawyers didn't do their job, but that the knowingly illegal workers are expecting them to follow rules they themselves do not feel obligated to. Yes, the lawyers screwed up, but aren't those who persist in remaining illegal when they've more than enough opportunity not to be screwing things up too?

Old October 9th, 2006, 10:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Why not just allow anyone who doesn't have a criminal record to immigrate?
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:28 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Azselendor said:
...along with forcing mexico to reverse its stance...
I mean no offense when I say this, but...what would give the US the right to try to force a friendly sovereign nation to do anything?

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
Quote:
Azselendor said:
...along with forcing mexico to reverse its stance...
I mean no offense when I say this, but...what would give the US the right to try to force a friendly sovereign nation to do anything?
Same way Mexico gets off *****ing about how we treat its illegal immigrants.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Black_Knyght said:
A number of "Amnesty" and similar programs have come and gone, over the past decade at least, and yet these people still remain illegals.

Can ypu provide further details or information on amnesty programs for illegals over the past decade or so?
Old October 10th, 2006, 03:42 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Black_Knyght said:
Okay, is it just me or is this insane?

ILLEGAL immigrants, using our LEGAL system, file a lawsuit to punish a company for not handling their ILLEGAL employment better.....!?!?!?

Illegal immigrants sue Wendy's
If Wendy's broke the law then they should pay. Being illegal employee or immigrant, doesn't give a company the right to treat people like slaves.

I support any ones choice to work for a living, however I feel that legal immigration is the right way. When people come here illegally and then often are given the mistaken right to vote, and those votes, in the tens of thousands, do fraudulently effect the out come of legitimate elections. They cheat legal Americans out of their right to free un-tampered elections. They tap our welfare system and health care providers from billions each year that only end up increasing health care costs and taxes. While I believe everyone should have access to health care, especially children, I feel that regardless of our a person legal standing as a citizen they should be treated, helped, but then sent back to the country they came from. The illegal immigration is cheating the immigration system and slowing the process for those who want to live and immigrate here legally.

Prove to the people who want to live here that if they follow the rules they win. However, if they take the short cut and sneak into the US we will eventually catch them and then they will be sent back to their home nation. While there is no legal penalty past being deported for illegally entering this country, there should be a punishment that enforces the law to the degree that if you illegally enter this nation you will pay for that crime. However what that punishment would be and then implementing it would cost billions and be no more affective in the end than the current system. So what are we left with? We have millions of people who want to come here to make a living, to better the of their families and themselves. No one can blame them for that. And no one should.

However legal immigration should be the way that is done. So the only effective method for slowing the flow would be to make it very expensive, even to the degree of prison time, to any employer who hires an illegal immigrant too work. Eventually no company or farmer would risk it and the word will get back to those who want to sneak in that not only will they not find a job, but also they will be caught and deported. (If they repeat the offense then perhaps jail time.)

People have the right to want to live and make their lives better. God only knows that as the third largest nation in the world now, the US can certainly do more to help those who really need our help than we have in the past.

I will even bet that if we gave the opportunity for Afghan and Pakistan refugees to come here and live, even though they hate us, they would come. They would come because they know that a life in the US is far better than the life they would have otherwise.

As to Mexican illegal immigration, well Mexico has to step up to bat as well. We all know that the Mexican government wants as many illegal immigrants in the US as they can force across the boarder. They want this to effect election out comes, to burden the US economically, and to send a message, "hey it was our land before it was yours and we want it back!"

If Mexico’s economy was better, and God knows it should be, then those people who would otherwise come here, would instead remain home and make a life for themselves in their own nation. Tell the Mexican government to get off their lazy asses, end the corruption, get it into gear, and do the right thing for their own people and nation.

Until the system is addressed, all those illegal immigrants that are working here in the US, make them PAY TAXES!

We might not be able to stop the flow of illegal immigration, but we can at least make damn sure those working pay their fair share of taxes to help pay for the services for those who don't or can't work.

Edit: Corrected Spelling added content.
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Corporal

Lord_Shleepy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AMF said:

They've been slinging hash, and cooking french fries, and broiling hamburgers for $5.25 an hour so Americans can have their dollar cheesburgers and their quarter pounders with cheese.
Actually, if you divide $313 by 5.25 you get 59.6 hours, which I doubt that Wendy's would allow. He was probably
making 7 or 8 an hour. Not that it makes any difference -
poop wages or week old rancid poop wages still boil down to
the same thing (an unpleasantly chunky stew). I just couldn't resist nit picking.
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Corporal

Lord_Shleepy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Azselendor said:
The biggest solution to ending illegal immigration is to understand why they come here.

That is, predominately, work and a better-life. Perhaps the US should focus some attention to building Mexico into a better a country with good jobs and quality of living.
Hmm..."better". Planning an invasion of mexico are we?