This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old May 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Attachments are not working

Since about a week attachments do not work anymore, when you upload a file PHP gives some Stream error messages and if somebody tries to download the attachment he gets a 404 error. Maybe the server's disk is full so that it doesn't accept any new uploads?
Emergency comic relief
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Attachments are not working

It is rather amazing that they allow attachments so freely. Screenshots, joke graphics, game saves. Some are HUGE. There are tons of attachments from years ago. Even games that arent carried by Shrapnel anymore.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

Argh! They have worked intermittently actually. We've fixed this problem twice in the last week and a half or so and somehow it keeps getting changed back which breaks it. I'll have Richard fix it again while we are still hunting down the issue.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM

General

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
It is rather amazing that they allow attachments so freely. Screenshots, joke graphics, game saves. Some are HUGE. There are tons of attachments from years ago. Even games that arent carried by Shrapnel anymore.
The strange thing is just that everybody wonders about these errors and reports them in their threads, but nobody investigates why they happen. I am quite sure that it could be because of something as simple as a full disk. Who is the admin for this server? Why isn't there even a forum about the Shrapnel forums itself? (unless this forum is meant for that)
Emergency comic relief
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

Dude, chill. First off, we were aware of the attachments problem and have been working on it. As Gandalf said however, attachments are somewhat of a luxury on any forum. This specific forum is a forum for Shrapnel itself and people can report issues here and we are aware of several issues, although most people report issues directly to me.

However, there are some things that were broken when we did the last upgrade because we did a lot of custom work to get certain features to work that were considered important to the community. Some of them still don't work 100% correctly, but they allowed those with certain formats to continue using those formats. At this point, those things are not a priority as we will not be continuing to use this software package in the future and the at some point the Law of Dimishing Returns kicks in.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Actually I think it tends to be that everybody "reports" them in their threads but no one reports them to the staff. Even a PM would help.

But yeah I think that the Shrapnel General forum is probably the best place if you want to start a discussion thread about the Shrapnel forums. Or anything Shrapnel which isnt particular to one of the games.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:01 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mindi said: At this point, those things are not a priority as we will not be continuing to use this software package in the future and the at some point the Law of Dimishing Returns kicks in.
Now you've piqued my curiosity as to why you plan to stop using UBB. These forums have the best publically available BBS interface of any of the boards I visit regularly.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM

General

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Actually I think it tends to be that everybody "reports" them in their threads but no one reports them to the staff.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant with different wording. And as such, nothing happens. Sorry if I may have sounded rude.
Emergency comic relief
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
capnq said:
Quote:
Mindi said: At this point, those things are not a priority as we will not be continuing to use this software package in the future and the at some point the Law of Dimishing Returns kicks in.
Now you've piqued my curiosity as to why you plan to stop using UBB. These forums have the best publically available BBS interface of any of the boards I visit regularly.
Have you used other boards with UBB? Board with expensive forum software are rare.

Usually people like it because all of the boards they visit are free-code boards, and one UBB board. In that case yes it usually comes out ahead. But when compared to other pay-for boards its not necessarily on top.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:13 PM

General

Well, about the interface thing, I really don't like how much you'll have to do manually with the bbcode tags in UBB. With phpBB you just select some text in your textarea, click on "bold" or "code" or "url" or whatever, and voila, the text is encased in those tags. For this board, you have to fill out some popup dialogs and then the result is just added to the end of the textarea. The Javascript from phpBB is smarter, and because of that I usually type the bbcode tags by hand here.

P.S.: Oh yeah, I'm german. I have to nag!
Emergency comic relief