.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road
Default 60 Player MegaGame Discussion Thread

This is an open thread to discuss a 60 player MP TCP/IP game I will likely host in the near future. This is NOT a signup thread, but rather a thread to discuss the best selections/options for the game. The game will include ALL the nations that exist in all of the ages (total as of 3.06 is 60). You will need to use a mod to play this game and it will be based on Gandalf’s Single Age mod (but slightly modified – v2). This mod does not change the basic game play.

There are a couple of game settings that are not open for discussion – and are simply my personal preferences. The settings not open for discussion (unless you want to tell me how awesome my preferences are) :

• The map we will use is here: http://67.66.187.69/dominions3/perpetualitysmall.jpg
• Speed: 24 hours per host for the first 18 turns moving to 48 hours per host after that. Once the game gets into turn 70+ we will up it to 72.
• Victory Conditions: 650 out of 1000 (~65%) provinces controlled, or the surrendering of all other players (the latter is much more likely).
• Graphs: On
• Hall of Fame: Highest possible
• Magic Research: Difficult or Very Difficult
• Magic Site Density: 40 (default middle age setting).
• No other mods… this is because we can’t be sure they will work properly. If this one goes off well I might try and host a CB + WH modded game of this.
• The only real house rule: Arcane Nexus is BANNED. I already thought this spell was overpowered in larger games… but with 60 players I fear there would simply be a rush to put it up as fast as possible. Casting Arcane Nexus gets you put on AI.

Things I want input on:

• What “age” do we want to set this in? This matters as far as the indys that we fight. I think I can easily update the mod to set the game in another age besides early if desired.
• Do we want Magic Research Difficult or Very Difficult? My desire is to make it so at the very end of the game the biggest players have acquired about 60-75% of the available research points. I’m leaning toward Very Difficult, but I’m not sure of the consequences…
• Nation Selection. I normally do random nation assignments because I like to try new nations and I dislike the standard “first poster gets whatever nation they want” method. However I know random nations wouldn’t appeal to everyone. So state how you think they players should pick/assign nations here. Try to think of something fair but not complicated.
• Patch Level. Do we wait for the next patch? I keep hearing it is coming out soon...

Also, I’m not a modder and I don’t really have the time between hosting/playing games to delve into the wonderful world of modding… but…If there is modder (or two) out there who would like to contribute to this huge game (and future games) there are a few things that would be extremely handy:

• New Nation Flags for some of the duplicate era nations (maybe just change the color on 2 of the 3). This could be a separate mod but it would probably be better to integrate it into the Single Age v2 mod.
• Larger Hall of Fame – it would be great if the mod could include a HoF that is 25 in size!
• More Global Spells – it would be great if the mod could give 10 open Global Spell spots. (if anyone can think of reason that would be very bad mention it here).

Remember this isn’t a sign up thread – just give me your thoughts! If there is something I didn't think of or address here, feel free to bring it up.
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 60 Player MegaGame Discussion Thread

I like EA best for indys.

I would like very difficult research as well, there is a tendency to pass over all the lower level spells, unless your desperate, saving gems for just the high level stuff. Would be fun to use the low level spells for longer. Never played with difficult or very difficult research so no idea as to the long term consequences.

Nation selection, I really think in a mega longterm game like this a player should get a nation they really, really want to play. How about everyone gives a top 5 in order of preference?

Patching causes alot of hassle, especially with new players, also it looks like its going to be a pretty big patch so everyone will be keen to use it. Having the 2 new nations will be fun too. So I say wait for the patch. It will probably take some getting going, a game like this anyway.

Finally, what if the game does not fill up ie... all 60 nations or not taken? Leave them out or have them in as AI?
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

Peronally, I like my bidding system; but with a game like this, we'd need alternates - are the alternates stuck with the bids of whomever they replace? I suppose they'd have to be. Also, just managing the bids for 60 players would be quite a headache.

Very hard research is a real problem for certain positions which are heavily magic dependent - Pythium, Marignon, for example. I think a system of bids would help to alleviate this problem, as well as making all 60 nations viable.

The flags are easy from a modding standpoint, but I'm no good at drawring.

The other two options would require diving into the executable, I believe. For one thing, the window isn't big enough to display more than 5 globals, so you'd have to add a scrollbar to the GUI, which I don't think you can do, at least at present - so even if I code-dive I don't think I can change that.

Finally, if you're going to ban Arcane Nexus - I can add a line to disable it in the many-nations mod. Likewise, if we wanted any other mods - I suggest my blessing hotfix, which many nations (LA Ulm for example) rather need to use some of their sacred units. All it does is allow regular bless to affect undead, and it definitely works I've tested it pretty thoroughly.

I should say, given how powerful Arcane Nexus will be, and given only five slots for globals, people will fight over it, and fiercely, so it may not be needful to disable it.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Sergeant

solo is on a distinguished road

I concur on suggested mods and EA, and would also like to try very difficult research.

Otherwise I agree with Meglobob to allow players to select nations, and think first come first served is okay, because many nations have similar versions.

If not all nations are taken, I think it's best to leave out the ones not selected. If only 30 or so want to play, we might consider have each player control two nations instead of one!
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Nation selection, I really think in a mega longterm game like this a player should get a nation they really, really want to play. How about everyone gives a top 5 in order of preference?

I agree it would be nice to give people what they want - but even if people gave me a top 5 or top 10 its pretty likely that with 60 players a number of players still wouldn't get the nation on their list.

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Patching causes alot of hassle, especially with new players, also it looks like its going to be a pretty big patch so everyone will be keen to use it. Having the 2 new nations will be fun too. So I say wait for the patch. It will probably take some getting going, a game like this anyway.

I wouldn't mind waiting for the next patch if it is going to come out in the next 2 weeks or so. I'm not going to wait a month+ however. Anyone have any rumors on when it is coming?

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Finally, what if the game does not fill up ie... all 60 nations or not taken? Leave them out or have them in as AI?
Probably put them on hardest or second to hardest AI.
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

I'd suggest to use a wraparound map, but I know that it might be a problem to get such a large map for so many players...
Emergency comic relief
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

An ambitious plan. I do think you are headed for some trouble tho just in the sheer number of players involved. It is hard enough to get 18 players on the same page (pretenders uploaded, mods correct, etc). The thought of trying to manage 60 is daunting. Additionally, player turnover will be a problem. As DrP says, you'll need alternates. But with a game of this size I wonder if there are enough players in the community to support a full staff and alternates.

Personally, I think you would be better off trying with just two ages first: maybe early vs. late?

BTW, you cannot mod the size of the HoF or the Global Enchants. We asked for this as a game setting in the beta and it was not accepted by the devs.
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

I would like very difficult research, because this game will be so big, else everyone will have researched everything too early.

About the selections, i think random assignment is not so good here, as this game once started will likely take ages before it is finished, so everyone should have a nation he likes. Maybe a system, where everyone has to give 5 proposals he would like to play and then he would get a nation out of the proposals. (this would still be work for the host, but id like a system, where you still have a chance to get a 'good' nation, even if you are late to sign up)
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Colonel

Quote:
DrPraetorious said:
Peronally, I like my bidding system; but with a game like this, we'd need alternates - are the alternates stuck with the bids of whomever they replace? I suppose they'd have to be. Also, just managing the bids for 60 players would be quite a headache.
Yea I have my own bidding system I worked on awhile back that I considered... but really I want the setup to be rather simple. I think this game is too big to be trying out bidding on for the first time.

Quote:
DrPraetorious said:
Very hard research is a real problem for certain positions which are heavily magic dependent - Pythium, Marignon, for example. I think a system of bids would help to alleviate this problem, as well as making all 60 nations viable.
Maybe just difficult then? Any more opinions on this?

Quote:
DrPraetorious said:
The other two options would require diving into the executable, I believe. For one thing, the window isn't big enough to display more than 5 globals, so you'd have to add a scrollbar to the GUI, which I don't think you can do, at least at present - so even if I code-dive I don't think I can change that.

Ahhh well thats a shame - but not that huge of a deal.

Quote:
DrPraetorious said:
Finally, if you're going to ban Arcane Nexus - I can add a line to disable it in the many-nations mod. Likewise, if we wanted any other mods - I suggest my blessing hotfix, which many nations (LA Ulm for example) rather need to use some of their sacred units. All it does is allow regular bless to affect undead, and it definitely works I've tested it pretty thoroughly.

I'm not opposed to mods that fix verified known bugs - provided thats all they do. There probably are a number of them.
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
An ambitious plan. I do think you are headed for some trouble tho just in the sheer number of players involved. It is hard enough to get 18 players on the same page (pretenders uploaded, mods correct, etc). The thought of trying to manage 60 is daunting. Additionally, player turnover will be a problem. As DrP says, you'll need alternates. But with a game of this size I wonder if there are enough players in the community to support a full staff and alternates.

Well, while I do think getting 60 might not be possible, all my large MP games fill up in less than 12 hours normally. I'm reasonably confident I can get about 30-40, we'll just have to see if we get more .

I think I've gotten pretty good at managing games, so I'm not concerned about the admin time.

I would require passwords from everyone so we can replace a missing player. I don't normally require alternates because I can usually find replacements for players fairly fast on the forums - worse comes to worse the nation gets put on AI.

I know there are a number of players that dislike including AIs in games (I know I do) but with large a game it's going to happen occasionally.