.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM

First Lieutenant

FAJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dramatica - A Very Dramatic Game. Game on.

Do we discuss the mod nations here? I have some thoughts on the amazons.

#1 The name is hard to remember how to spell, I end up deleting the failed attempts and just put "the amazons"

#2 Dragon scale armor seems a bit heavy for amazons. I know there are theme issues and modder's choice, but the whole nation seems very beefy on protection. As Abysia, I felt light in the armor department D:

#3 The sacreds appear to be somewhat out of control. Recruitable anywhere, sacred cav with naturally high defense and protection at what is really too low of a cost in resources (and maybe gold)

#4 The PD is effing scary! Is it meant to be so dead-hard? Unless I am mistaken, does the PD contain sacreds + priests to bless them?

The nation in general leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When playing against it (or with it in SP) I felt like the theme was: "Onyx amazons should have high protection; amazons are agile so should have high defense; they are a religious based society so there should be lots of sacreds. Lets put sacred, high prot. high def. units everywhere! and make em easy to mass" I do not think that the limited strength in magic balances this out. At least not on a small map.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Yeah - there's an unexpected boost to dragonscale armour in CBM which throws amazons out of whack. It's fixed.

Ditto the resource cost/gold cost/recruit anywhere sacreds. And the PD, which is just silly.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Major General

My experience this game was certainly that the sacreds were very available and easily massed. Sacreds are also the only units with a melee punch, which makes you want to use them even more. Their cost was probably too low at 40g, and the resource cost was definitely too low.

I hadn't bothered looking closely at the PD before this game, but I think it's a bad thing to have PD that can kill Van raiders reliably when it's high enough.

Check the attached file - a lot of the issues are addressed. I'm not quite sure about the lizard riders still - they're pretty much a worse deal than Oiorpata as things stand (10g and 2 res more to buy, but lower strength, hp, defence and morale. You do get one more point of torso prot and the semi-useful 50% PR though).

I'm not getting a great deal of enjoyment out of playing an unbalancesd Themiskyra in this game, and it's no longer useful for balance testing either. If circumstances were different, I'd cheerfully declare myself neutral and use my territory as a handy sandbox for looking at what could reasonably be done by the nation in the later stages of the game. Unfortunately, I don't think that's likely to happen.

PS: A question for everyone: How come Garnet Amazons are only immune to fire if they aren't sitting on a gryphon? Is it some sort of weird allergy, perhaps?
Attached Files
File Type: zip themisk.zip (106.1 KB, 40 views)

Old January 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Digress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciencePro View Post
Between the strong Earth magic and the cheap items i think i could have beaten skaven eventually.

The Skaven would have won through eventually, in my unbiased opinion.

Random thoughts on the stumpies ..

The Dwarven warriors high morale is their great strength, units have to be killed to a man, sorry dwarf, before they rout.

The 40 protection Runic Ward shields on the Runeguards seems too high - maybe they should have some cold resistance added and the shield dialed down.

Maybe the troll slayers and giant slayers should be low level summons rather than out of the box trample counters. Forcing the player to do some research if they find they have elephants etc. as neighbours.
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Reducing the protection of the runic ward is probably not completely unwarranted... 40 is an awful lot of protection for a shield.

However I disagree with making slayers unrecruitable. Dwarf armies are so ridiculously slow to build, they need to have a pretty good trample counter available or they are completely screwed. Dwarven magic being what it is, forcing them to have to have strong research out of the gate would be pretty harsh.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

I moved the dwarf discussion to the mod thread. Just to keep this thing in topic.

About Themiskyra and its current version in the game. Yeah, it's OP, I should've given it a bit more testing at the beginning. But it is the mod we started the game with and we cannot change the mod mid-game without major hassle, so IMHO let's just go on with the game. Let's pretend that "Themiskyra = Ashdod" when dealing with it. As for the fun factor Gregstrom mentioned, perhaps he would like to search for a sub? Themiskyra is in a powerful & intresting position and the appereance of a new player could be considered as a "handicap" as far as the nation is concerned.

And to bring this thread even more on topic:

LOLZ! Greg is cheaterz! Lisetn guys, let's gagn ihm! Supsire buttsecks!

(I would've written a detailed RP post, bit I'm in a bit of a hurry now, that was much faster to type)
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:17 AM

Major General

It's not too much of an issue really - the way Van's dompush is going, Themiskyra will be out of the picture in ~10 turns. No point getting a sub for that sort of timescale, so I'll just spend my time killing as many Vanir, vampires and Blood summons as possible. I haven't seen the Heliophagii yet, but it's just a matter of time...

Old January 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digress View Post
Our rats will hoover up what provinces we can whilst Shin-no-longer-camping-on-our-border marches west.
Feel the chaff of the Bakemono!
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
It's not too much of an issue really - the way Van's dompush is going, Themiskyra will be out of the picture in ~10 turns. No point getting a sub for that sort of timescale, so I'll just spend my time killing as many Vanir, vampires and Blood summons as possible. I haven't seen the Heliophagii yet, but it's just a matter of time...
Ha! Only LUZERS would have a problem with Themiskyra! All you need is high end summons with good mage support. You guys are such newbs...
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Digress is on a distinguished road

The huge chaff rich armies of the Skaven continue to grow despite my best efforts to "prune" them - my luck scale is turning into a ridiculous militia spawning monster.

Bahh ....