The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:45 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Anyone know of any other good TBS games??

Quote:
Enigma said:
I have Emperor of the Fading Suns but I do not think it works anymore with Windows XP. How do you make this game work. I do not remember if it is multi-player. It is a game that would be a great multiplayer I think.
I have it working in Windows 98, because i have my desktop (and now my notebook) dualbooting in win98/winXP, so i use Win98 for games and WinXP for everything else...

EFS allows multiplayer using PBEM or Hotseat and there are several mods and specialized maps only for multiplayer.... but is kinda hard to find someone to play it by PBEM these days... i myself play solo with the Nova mod and sometimes hotseat with a friend that likes the game too...
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:54 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I have no problem with EFS on Windows XP, without any kind of specific setting (I am using SP1, and the Home Version for lack of anything better than that). There might be a problem with sound or the like, but VDMS would take care of such problems. I should perhaps go back to playing this game once of these days. Hmm.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I have no problem with old games in WinXP (even MoM which everyone says wont run). But I have 2 drives. My C: is NTFS format which makes WinXP run so nice, and my D: for games is the older FAT32 file format.

Alot of the problems I see with WinXP Im thinking might be in there. If people upgrade to WinXP then the harddrives stays in the older format. They dont seem to have problems with games. If people install WinXP or it comes installed, then its usually formated NTFS style which runs faster and less file problems, but doesnt seem to like older games.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never noticed any difference at all when running old games from a FAT32 partition/drive as compared to a NTFS partition/drive in WinXP or Win2k... DosBox is good for running actual DOS games, no need for voodoo magic or dual booting in that case. Games written for Win95/98 that were a hybrid of DOS and the windows layers on top of DOS don't work too well in DOSBox, and sometimes need an actual win98 install. WinXP is better at running old games than Win2k, but still not too good at it...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 05:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
I have never noticed any difference at all when running old games from a FAT32 partition/drive as compared to a NTFS partition/drive in WinXP or Win2k... DosBox is good for running actual DOS games, no need for voodoo magic or dual booting in that case. Games written for Win95/98 that were a hybrid of DOS and the windows layers on top of DOS don't work too well in DOSBox, and sometimes need an actual win98 install. WinXP is better at running old games than Win2k, but still not too good at it...
I considered DosBox to be voodoo magic. All I have to do is install my games on D: and they run fine. No reason for any program or dual boot. But I have been keeping DosBox in mind in case I ever find anything that refuses me.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 2nd, 2004, 08:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

If you have about $50 to drop($30 for the GBA, $10-$20 for the game), get a classic gameboy advance(the non flip top Version), and Advance Wars 1 or 2, they are excelent war strategy games you can take with you where ever you go. It's kinda like Empire Deluxe, but each unit is set up to "rock, paper, scissors" another unit. Navy is a little underpowered, and air is a little overpowered but it's still fun. You also get to chose from about 16 different Commanding Officers which define your army's traits. Also there are many "tactics" games for GBA, like Fire Emblem, it's like Advance wars but with RPG characers instead a modern army, also Tactics Ogre: Knihgt of Lodis, one of my Favorites, you raise an army of 32 charachers, customize their classes, spells, skills, and armor, and go on an adventure to retrieve a powerful artifact. It has excelent multiplayer if you can find someone else who has it. I haven't played them yet, but Final Fantasy Tactics and Onimusha Tactics are similar to Tactics Ogre. There are also lots of RPG adventure games out for GBA too.

I second Stars! It's a little primative but excelent.

Alpha Centauri and it's expansion are VERY good, too.
Old November 6th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Corporal

eddieballgame is on a distinguished road

Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire & Age of Wonders-Shadow Magic are superb TBS games. Both are very moddable & multiplayer frendly & stable ( hotseat for both as well is lan & direct IP ). AC/AC otherwise known as SMAC was giving a 97% by one of the leading game magagzines. Highest ever!