World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old January 7th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

DeadZone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4x dead. PC games dying. Gave away PC. :(

Oi, I like my GC

PCs are more customizable and easier to upgrade too
Consoles tend to be, here it is, be happy with it, if you want something better, you tend to have to buy a completely new one

PC Games have better support because you get patches, mods, better Online play, etc
Console Games tend to run better because there is only one type of machine its running on, because PCs are upgradable, devs push the specs because they know, sooner or later, something will come out that runs there game fine, you dont have this option with Consoles (which is why games run fine on all consoles, but some PCs will struggle to run some games)

At the end of the day, consoles are for people with little time or who are simple folk
PCs are for people with time or like the freedom (like me... on both accounts there lol)
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

and then tere's the handheld market...

*hugs advance wars*
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DeadZoneMDx said:

PC Games have better support because you get patches, mods, better Online play, etc

Exhibit A: XBox Live. The experience of XBox Live is tremendous. It patches games, distributes extra content, and is amazing Online play.
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

Ok, how about this one then

Start-up time

PCs = Start up the machine, then insert disk, play, eject disk, insert disk, play, etc

Consoles = Insert disk, start up the machine, play, shut down machine, eject disk, insert disk, start up machine, play, etc

One huge advantage PCs have over consoles

Just to note, I wont, in a million years, touch the XBox (Im one of them anti-microsoft people)
Old January 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DeadZoneMDx said:

Start-up time

PCs = Start up the machine, then insert disk, play, eject disk, insert disk, play, etc

Consoles = Insert disk, start up the machine, play, shut down machine, eject disk, insert disk, start up machine, play, etc

Just to note, I wont, in a million years, touch the XBox (Im one of them anti-microsoft people)
Unles you are yalking about a Final Fantasy type game or console based Myst/Riven you included WAY to many steps in the Console startup time, and that seems like a trivial argument to me to be a "huge advantage". It goes more like Power up, open tray, insert disc, watch 3 second load screen and play, turn off when board turn back on and skip steps 2-4.

For PC it's like: Power-up PC(depending on machine this can take 30 seconds-almost 2 minutes), place CD in tray, wait for auto load, if auto load crashes, use the icon, or comand line to launch the game, game launches, but crashes immeadiately due to memory error, reboot and repeat steps to launch again, play for 20 minutes and crash because of 9X-XP compatibility or glitch caused by rushed programming with the logic " get it out the door we can fix it later wit teh patch", Download said patch(takes 5minutes-2 hours), instal patch, play game, experence severe joystick/gamepad glitches and realize there isaconflict in the game with your joystick drivers, update joystick drivers(20 minutes), play for another half hour till video card causes glitch, update video card drivers(5-20 minutes), play some moreand realize that your machine isn't powerful enough to run this game at full settings and 100-300 dollars will have to be spent and sensative components will have to be installed.....
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:12 PM

Major

Quote:
DeadZoneMDx said:

Start-up time

Too bad, because you missed out on some truly tremendous games. Halo (1 and 2), Ninja Gaiden, etc...
In fact, for not having played Ninja Gaiden, I curse you as the unholy one. Ninja Gaiden is just that darn good.
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

Wow Hugh, I take it you have had some bad problems in the past
Ive never had any of these problems ever (Some EA games excluded, and Ubisoft sometimes)

For my PC: Power up: Rarely longer than 20seconds, place CD in tray, I have auto run disabled by pref., so hit exe. and thats it, I play until Im bored or wants/needs to do something else
IF I do need a patch, well, its a perfect excuse to do some house work/something else for a few minutes
And plus, like instar said, XBox is also using patches, and they wont take any longer to d/l cos they are on the same connection after all

As long as your OS is configured properly and is 2k or XP, you tend to be fine (Yes its microsoft, so I will agree that it can be a big pain in the rear at times)

And anyway I was referring to playing different games, not the same one over
Old January 10th, 2005, 03:12 AM

Major

My PC boots up in less than 10 seconds. A 10k RPM SATA hard drive can do that. Well, that and a gigabyte of RAM. And a 2.4C P4.
One PC I had took longer than 5 minutes to get all the services fully running (I was running DB software, the 3 server packages needed for a complete install of a product I was developing against, and everything else needed) I could go get coffee in less time.
Edit:
Oh, my PC can probably boot in about 5s or so. It is pretty quick.
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:43 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

One of my coworkers has a PC that sometimes takes half an hour to boot up, because it often starts up with a blue screen of death and he has to keep shutting it down and powering it back up until it works. Then it runs scandisk which takes a few minutes. It's a Compaq running Windows 98. The computer tech guy has given up trying to fix it.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:47 PM

Colonel

mottlee is on a distinguished road

sounds like time to replace the PC, has he tryed to reinstall windows????