Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 31st, 2013, 07:48 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default 120mm M1028

USMC weapon 105 120mm M1028 120mm canister!! Duck shooting anyone?
A couple of thoughts on this weapon.

1) Due to the fact its a main gun round & its primary use is vs soft targets would it make sense to remove the HE penetration value.
Not disputing that the core has one it just stops it being fired along with the main gun at hard targets. This will stop it "double firing" so often, main gun & this weapon.
Cant treat as a sort of AP ammo I assume due to the HEAT round using those ranges.

2) Despite the fact it is carried by urban tanks it has an "arming time" Watching slow motion video of it in use it takes a while to break up & scatter so is not that lethal at close range.
Cant give it a lower kill value for close range so perhaps if possible give it a minimum range of 2 or 3

3) It has an accuracy rating one less than the main gun which is fair enough for targeting a hard target but vs soft its probably pretty hard to miss.
If remove AP effect could adjust accuracy to 16 (one better than main gun) & perhaps reduce kill slightly.
Realise accuracy uses a set formula but this is a rare weapon type so minor tweaking may be okay.
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:12 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 120mm M1028

Originally the "TUSK" tanks had only the M1028 and no main gun.
The problem was that this made them incapable of engaging armored targets or targets at range.
So now the M1028 is placed in weapon slot #2.

This unfortunately allows these tanks to "double fire" their main gun vs infantry type targets.
Removing AP/Sabot/HEAT ratings from the M1028 wouldn't solve this (tho it would make the M1028 cheaper).
Short of removing all HE/HEAT ammo from the main gun I don't believe there is any way to stop the "double fire" problem.

I'm not sure the minimum range thing would work on a direct fire weapon (i.e. non-mortar/ATGM). The other problem with this is in most urban battles is much of the time you can't even "see" an enemy unit till you're adjacent to it. So "see" it then back off to the minimum range?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:53 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This unfortunately allows these tanks to "double fire" their main gun vs infantry type targets.
Removing AP/Sabot/HEAT ratings from the M1028 wouldn't solve this (tho it would make the M1028 cheaper).
Short of removing all HE/HEAT ammo from the main gun I don't believe there is any way to stop the "double fire" problem
Agree hence the reason I suggested removing its armour capability so it at least does not fire at armour targets, your not going to shoot this round at them unless you are caught with it loaded & need to clear the gun.

Quote:
I'm not sure the minimum range thing would work on a direct fire weapon (i.e. non-mortar/ATGM). The other problem with this is in most urban battles is much of the time you can't even "see" an enemy unit till you're adjacent to it. So "see" it then back off to the minimum range?
I am not sure if its possible either
And yes your right if the enemy is to close the weapon is no good, that's the idea this round will not provide good close defence capabilities in my view, that's why you still carry HE MGs & a grenade launcher.
The range of weapons carried by TUSK tanks means you can engage targets in all types of cover. its a veritable 1 man (okay 4 men) army.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:54 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Short of removing all HE/HEAT ammo from the main gun I don't believe there is any way to stop the "double fire" problem
Agree hence the reason I suggested removing its armour capability so it at least does not fire at armour targets, your not going to shoot this round at them unless you are caught with it loaded & need to clear the gun.
Actually I did just that in my custom OOB variant, M1028 is ONLY a giant shotgun shell.

However I haven't found canister shot to be all that effective.
But no doubt there are times one shot can clear a hex tho.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein