.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game: Fearsome Legions (in progress)

Wait a minute guys. Meglobob going AI like this is very uncommon and I'm sure he had his reasons not to post here first. To tell truth I'm also very disappointed of this development but I don't think this game is over yet. I have much fight left in me and if no further players goes AI I believe the game is still open.
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:27 AM

General

Oh, and Meglobob also went AI in Feohtan. I can assume he really had pressing matters that didn't allow him a more courteous course of action.
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:43 AM

General

10 hours to host and Ulm hasn't submitted his turn yet. I hope he doesn't disappear on us

To tell the truth, I've never participated in a game in which so many players went AI. Furthermore, some of the players, Man, Ctis, Arco and Marignon were actually quite powerful and not at all in bad positions. I must say that this tends to ruin one's fun when playing the game.
I mean, common guys, if someone wants to quit why not post here first and let us first try to find a sub?

If Ulm goes missing, it will be the fifth disappearance in this game and will leave only me and Abysia to duel it out.

Or, maybe Caelum and Atlantis will grow stronger and will pose a real threat towards gaining supremacy
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Believe it or not, this game does not even compare to another of Zach's games, Bastions of Power, for staling. 3/4 of the nations in that game went AI, many of them world powerhouses. In that game, I cannot even get to one of the few players left... i'm surrounded by AI nations.

I don't know. There must be something about Zach's games that just makes people go AI. I'm not blaming him... I appreciate the hosting very much. But it is very frustrating when so many go AI.

As far as this game, Atlantis should be a reasonable power in about 12-14 turns, if we play that long.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:25 PM

General

That's a real bummer about Zach's games, of course it has nothing to do with him as host, just bad luck.

You know what, it the scale of game deserting there's even worse then going AI (IMO) which is staling. Like Man had done in this game and like I hope Ulm is not about to do as well. I don't know, but don't ppl care about the other player's in the game?- I mean how much effort does it take to post for a sub, or to turn AI instead of staling.

Bah. Whatever. Lets go on, whose left, and finish the game (hopefully w/o further derters).
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Corporal

DireAussie is on a distinguished road

>Man, Ctis, Arco and Marignon were actually
>quite powerful and not at all in bad positions

C'tis could have held out for longer and progressed further in the game. If he had asked I would have declared peace with him and went to war together against Marignon and Pythium. Though I think because of his horrible scales and being forced to keep all his militia to defend his castles his income and research totally sucked and he was never going to be a contender for the win.

Arco...he seemed to get real annoyed at Ulm attacking him and ever since then his assault was relentless, abandoning all research. He destroyed himself. I feel that with diplomacy he could have done better, but perhaps he's not interested in it or it failed.

Marignon on the other hand had a great chance of a win and a great influence on the alliances in the game, which is why I was so upset. Since Pythium attacked Marignon last turn the AI will fight back. That leaves me to research away while Pythium has to deal with the crap the AI throws at him. If Wraithlord is a better player than me he might be able to deal with it swiftly and easily (unlike me with C'tis!) but Marignon does have large hordes...

Thus the predicament of Ulm - if things go bad in Pythium he'll have to attack me earlier than he would have had to pre-marignon AI, lest I get too powerful. Its no secret that he's my staunchest ally and is a largely the reason for my later game successes; I dont want to war on him, and I believe he doesnt want to attack me either. Now its pretty likely ulm will have to fight a lot earlier than expected if he still wants a chance to win himself.

Anyway I'm happy to continue with the game even if it ends up in a duel between Wraithlord and I. I havent yet had the chance to play end game multiplayer so it will be good practice if anything, and wraithlord is most definitely more experienced so I'll surely learn a thing or two.

>That's a real bummer about Zach's games, of course
>it has nothing to do with him as host, just bad luck.

I'm grateful for zach having a computer up 24/7 hosting the game, and its been a super-reliable connection. But admittedly there are other hosts who have the free time to deal with their player's needs more actively; Zach doesnt seem to read the boards or PM's too often going by what I have seen over the course of this game. Perhaps that makes people less inclined to ask him for help so they take the easy way of setting AI rather than finding a replacement.
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM

General

"Marignon on the other hand had a great chance of a win and a great influence on the alliances in the game, which is why I was so upset."
Me too, in fact Marignon was at war vs. you which could have given a real chance to either Ulm or myself.

"Since Pythium attacked Marignon last turn the AI will fight back."
Well, actually the AI has attacked me first disregarding the NAP+6 Meglobob has agreed to just one turn earlier. And this, after a short but very costly war he has waged against me

"That leaves me to research away while Pythium has to deal with the crap the AI throws at him. If Wraithlord is a better player than me he might be able to deal with it swiftly and easily (unlike me with C'tis!) but Marignon does have large hordes...
"
Don't think there's any possible way to deal swiftly with the AI of a nation that has spent so *many* turns hoarding blood slaves. I don't know the extent of scouting you have on Marignon but I tell you, he has some unholy flying deamon armies. Hey, I'll do my best though

"Thus the predicament of Ulm - if things go bad in Pythium he'll have to attack me earlier than he would have had to pre-marignon AI, lest I get too powerful. Its no secret that he's my staunchest ally and is a largely the reason for my later game successes; I dont want to war on him, and I believe he doesnt want to attack me either. Now its pretty likely ulm will have to fight a lot earlier than expected if he still wants a chance to win himself.
"
Well, Ulm dropping out of contact (I also tried to PM him) indicates that this really doesn't matter. He could have made a difference, one way or another, but he is absent. While we're at it I suggest we give him another turn or two and if he doesn't appear by then we ask Zach to AI him as well.

"Anyway I'm happy to continue with the game even if it ends up in a duel between Wraithlord and I. I havent yet had the chance to play end game multiplayer so it will be good practice if anything, and wraithlord is most definitely more experienced so I'll surely learn a thing or two.
"
I was actually thinking along the same lines, meaning: you have an obvious advantage over me and are likely to win but even if I fight a loosing battle I'll learn a thing or two in the process what makes it worthwhile for me. As for my experience, it tells me you're in a good position to win.

But I hope I'll make work for it a bit

"I'm grateful for zach having a computer up 24/7 hosting the game, and its been a super-reliable connection. But admittedly there are other hosts who have the free time to deal with their player's needs more actively; Zach doesnt seem to read the boards or PM's too often going by what I have seen over the course of this game. Perhaps that makes people less inclined to ask him for help so they take the easy way of setting AI rather than finding a replacement.
"
Yeah, I guess you have a point there.
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I am attacking Marignon this turn as well. Admittedly, I will only be able to take his sea provinces, but he has quite a few, and it will at least hurt the AI's income.

-Atlantis

I occasionally post something useful.
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM

General

Hey it seems we have Ulm back with us

More reason for Abysia to be concerned
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM

General

Guys, would you mind if I ask Zach to switch to 72h host?

I'm handling a large scale war vs. 2 tough AIs and one super tough opponent and this actually is taking quite a lot of time.