Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Misfortune 3 Death 3 scale - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road
Default Misfortune 3 Death 3 scale

Af far as I understand, quite risky combination, but having access to fortunetellers using which I like to compensate it, I want to understand how exactly risky it is.

What is better , misfortune 2/death 3, or misfortune 3 /death 2 (if we take to account only risks of such events as plague, etc)

In one of tests with M3D3 I've got Palgue(halved population) in home province 1st turn, which is not what I really liked.

Is there some events which are possible only on Death 3?
Or this plague event could happen with luck3Grouth3 as well?

Is there any list of these events and conditions, switching probability of event on?
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:07 AM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Misfortune 3 Death 3 scale

Play around with it. I'm not sure what the chances are, but way, way, way more often than you want to throw a game you'll get a terrible pop loss event within the first few turns on your capital. What does that phrase man? 25%? I'm don't know exactly, but way higher than I'd bet on something important.
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:08 AM

BANNED USER

Ink is on a distinguished road

there is always a better way to get 240 points than M3D3

and no, the plague event is specific to the death scale, it cannot happen with growth (however another event, ancient presence, which kills pop can happen with growth)

I swear I once saw a great thread enumerating these events, but I've never been able to find it since. I do remember that there is a pretty good set of events for death-luck-magic (dying princes, and plagues yielding death gems, well that latter one might by death-misfortune-magic, but could be good for some...)
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:28 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Maybe this?

http://www.freewebs.com/dominions2/events.html

Mis-2 Death-3 is really bad because plague frequency becomes common, and you're getting quite a few bad events. Mis-3 Death-2 is also bad, because you get a lot of bad events, many of which are the plague event. I don't like Mis-3 in general, because you're getting more events and they are pretty much all bad.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vfb For This Useful Post:
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

Thanks, vbf. Just found it. I understand all this, about bad events diring bad luck . I was more interested in trying to compensate with fortunte tellers something, while avoid gaime-ruining events like

A plague has struck the land. Empty cabins and rotting corpses litter the landscape. Half the population of the province has died. (Rare if Death 1 and common if Death 3).

The question now is what's the differese between "common" and "rare", if difference in MF2 and MF3 will add less probability of plague then MF2/D3 ?

P.S. I'm also really in love with luck3, but it's boring to use the same start every time, just want to try to combine together several ideas to have some fun and some diversity.
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:16 AM

Private

Benjamin is an unknown quantity at this point

Vfb, you are my hero. I've been trying to refind that forever.
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

that being said - I think the events were reworked under dom 3 - at least I know there are some events I have never seen under dom 3.
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

After reviewing the list, it looks like the game is quite limiting in experinments because during first turns, if you have death3 - you can get this plague and that's end of game. If you have at least death2 - you can have another event, which kills 1/5 population, which is also devastating, especially if you get it 2 times. There is no time t do some prevention.
So, I found Death 2/3 unusable. It would be much more balance if some extremal events (good or bad) were more rare first months, especially when it goes on your capital.
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:36 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Its possible to take D3 if you take L3, but I wouldn't do it, and there's very few nations that could consider D3 under ANY circumstances.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

the only way you can start with high D and high Mf is if you have an awake pretender who has powerful fortune telling. And you plan on just letting them sit in your capital. Ie, its really not worth it.

(Lady of Luck, Jade Emperor, and Oracle - all under CBM - are the ones that come to mind).