.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Corporal

Corvus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nub Bash 2010 - Late Age - Started

I underestimated the chokepoint... And I was hoping whoever had the staff of storms died or something.
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
You've done a bad thing Bogarus (by freezing the seas), although it was not unexpected. This has cost me much grief. It is almost tantamount to a declaration of war. But forgiveness can still be yours. Just make right your transgressions by taking down that global and surrender any remaining sea provinces. You know you've no business beneath the waves anyhow. No need to drag me into the war as well.

We should also probably vow to keep the Arcane Nexus down from now on. This is also a bad thing. Lets just slug it out and finish it.
Now why exactly would I do either of those things? Playing your opponents game always results in a loss unless he doesn't understand his own game. Obviously, you've prepared a strategy which would be very good for a late game high-resource slugfest... If I were to try to play that game, I'd get creamed!

As far as I'm concerned, as soon as I put the Arcane Nexus up, I figured that you would consider that a declaration of war since most other people do. It's fine if you want to continue on with neutrality, but there's no way I'm paying to remove the icy seas. As I mentioned after I cast it, it has a few purposes:

1: Prevent you from easily collaborating attacks with Ulm--you will remember that you parked a little army rather close to my coast on the turn I cast it.

2: Provides a convenient way to convert water gems back into astral pearls via the Nexus.

3: Forces you to expend pearls to get rid of it. (exchange your pearls for my water gems). This also has the bonus effect that if you do decide to try dispelling it, it will be that many more turns before you can try to dispel the Nexus again.

I consider it a very good move, and what you're suggesting would indeed be a very bad move.

The way I look at it, if you have somehow come up with a strategy to stop my Arcane Nexus, I might as well see what it is--even if I lose, what I gain in the experience is worth more than the game itself.

If you don't have a coherent strategy for destroying the Nexus (other than by some vain attempt at salesmanship), then it will go back up without any problems and you will be left still poorer in the gems I am actively spending to combat you.

I'm not going to follow your suggestions unless I feel they have some sort of concrete benefit to me. "Your Word" has no value at this stage in the game. I figure you don't attack me because you think you'll lose what you send or because you cannot find a suitable invasion route. Either one is fine with me. The more turns I get against Ulm one-on-one, the better. It's not like you're ever going to magically ally with me and attack Ulm... That would be rather crazy.

We could consider that to be your act of loyalty if you like. Take two of Ulm's castles--then I'll consider you an ally.

Last edited by Verjigorm; August 16th, 2010 at 11:38 PM..
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:41 AM

Corporal

Good luck, you and R'lyeh are in the way of all of them but 1. And I have like 5 metric tonnes of vampires I can sneak in wherever I want.
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Basically, for the most part this has been a fight between you (Bogarus) and Ulm on that northwestern continent and frozen seas is an obvious tactic if you fear attack from the sea and your opponent is a water nation. It is certainly a good tactic and you are indeed a fine and crafty player. That being said, tis still a bad thing that the peace loving inhabitants of Atlantis will not be able to soon forget.

It was of course foolish of the dwindling numbers of remaining players to ignore the Nexus for so long, but it will not necessarily guarantee you a win.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; August 17th, 2010 at 02:52 PM..
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

That's true, but it's awfully nice to be in control of it. It has already spawned two very nice secondary globals and I won't say how much other stuff I have already purchased with it.

I think I need to revise my reason for your non-aggression. I'll state that the most likely reason you haven't done anything is because you are concentrating your efforts on swallowing up various AI holdings.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
I think I need to revise my reason for your non-aggression. I'll state that the most likely reason you haven't done anything is because you are concentrating your efforts on swallowing up various AI holdings.
Well, I had been distracted with AI Mictlan and finishing up Utgard after they went AI. Holding huge numbers of provinces it not really my goal though and can be a headache. But at the same time, kinda seems ridiculous to attack one another till the AIs have been either contained or defeated. Though the victory condition of last man standing is obviously intended for human players, how can a nation be said to win a game if there's an AI nation like Jomon leading in most of the score graphs (globals not being considered) still remaining.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Well, I had been distracted with AI Mictlan and finishing up Utgard after they went AI. Holding huge numbers of provinces it not really my goal though and can be a headache. But at the same time, kinda seems ridiculous to attack one another till the AIs have been either contained or defeated. Though the victory condition of last man standing is obviously intended for human players, how can a nation be said to win a game if there's an AI nation like Jomon leading in most of the score graphs (globals not being considered) still remaining.
I thought the reverse was true--that it would be ridiculous to fight AIs when there were humans to fight. If I wanted to fight AI's I'd play SP.

Additionally, even accepting the premise that "AI Players should be conquered first", the fact that in order to fight against AI players, Ulm would have to go through me conflicts with the notion.
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Corporal

Actually, when I took the Locmar port from you that opened up All Sorts of possibilities to plunder Mictlan. Their strong dominion's just been slowing my expansion armies down a bit.

EDIT: Oh for crying out loud how are you still in that fort- .... STORM DEMONS AGGH I knew I forgot to set my vampires to do something
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
Actually, when I took the Locmar port from you that opened up All Sorts of possibilities to plunder Mictlan. Their strong dominion's just been slowing my expansion armies down a bit.

EDIT: Oh for crying out loud how are you still in that fort- .... STORM DEMONS AGGH I knew I forgot to set my vampires to do something
Your dominion has been purged. Now all who come shall die for real.

I'm hoping you mean "guard my Black Priests" because.... Damn dude... Those guys got *** raped rather quickly. One turn, BAM! No more priests. :P At least the first couple of times you attacked, you enveloped them in vampires so they wouldn't get eaten until the end. I figured you were getting sloppy.
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

...or not... 3 candles in 1 turn from zero...