.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:54 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new linux user having probs w/ dominions

If you are using Gnome try turning the visual effects off (Preferences->Apeareance->Visual Effects) they seem to cause problems with Dom3. And use proprietary drivers.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I can't remember where I heard about "suspend" problems, but I do know that it crashes my friend's (very dodgy) laptop running Ubuntu (probably 8.04), and also my laptop (utterly ancient and running Puppy Linux, which is a much less slick kind of beast so not very surprising).

The Ubuntu forums should know lots about this. They are excellent. But in general I believe it is probably worth using proprietary drivers. Maybe there is a workaround for the suspend crash.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:04 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
I can't remember where I heard about "suspend" problems, but I do know that it crashes my friend's (very dodgy) laptop running Ubuntu (probably 8.04), and also my laptop (utterly ancient and running Puppy Linux, which is a much less slick kind of beast so not very surprising).
Linux doesn't have a problem with suspend mode in general, though, those are hardware/driver issues. I have no troubles with suspend/resume. Puppy Linux is an abomination, BTW...
Emergency comic relief
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM

Corporal

analytic_kernel is on a distinguished road

Just to help clear up any confusion, ATI's proprietary drivers are generally called fglrx and there are a couple of open source ones that ship with Xorg, radeon generally being the one you would want to use from among those. These drivers are almost certainly kernel modules, and so you can check which one is loaded with:
Code:
lsmod | egrep 'radeon|fglrx'
(More refined methods exist on various distributions, but the above should work just about anywhere.)

Also, you may want to look at the output of glxinfo, specifically the vendor strings. If you see Mesa in one of them, then there is a chance (though not a guarantee) that software rendering may be being performed.

As part of the troubleshooting process, I would definitely start by stripping down the in-game rendering options as much as possible, and then adding them back one by one or cranking them up in increments. It could be that a particular option, such as grass, is the killer.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

OK.

well I reinstalled the proprietary drivers. Everything runs fine and I'll just not use suspend. Also dominions runs great now. I can set everything to the highest detail, except for battle detail which is on 'very high', a step below the highest 'too high'. On very high I get ~27 fps, on too high it was about 5