Exclamation Re: WinSPWW2 version 6.0 Upgrade patch

The patch is now available.. see the first post

Don
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Private

Yorick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WinSPWW2 version 6.0 Upgrade patch

Thanks! I'm looking forward to use it :-)
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Just played a scenario (sorry, forgot the number) with the new patch. It was a British Commonwealth--mostly sub-continental--assault vs the Germans near Monte Cassino.

After the battle was over the British were penalized for artillery overload. Thought this wasn't supposed to happen since the changes allowed unlimited artillery for the assaulter. Also the battle results screen didn't include victory determination (draw, marginal or decisive win). Not that I can't do the math, but it had always been there before.

Anyway, my compliments to Don and Andy for their outstanding work.
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

If you can recall the scenario number it would be very helpful in allowing us to test this further. The win-lose-draw screen should have appeared.

The original way the game was scored and the revised way are both displayed so players can make their own determinate about how they did. Personally, I have always found the end game victory messages a distraction but we include them just as the original game did and they should be working when the game is over so if you can find that scenario number that would be very helpful.

Thanks

EDIT 1:

Was it #8 Dickens I (Hill 445) 3/44 and did it give 130 arty overload points to the Indian player ?

If yes one mystery is solved..... those points were given to the Commonwealth player for German defensive artillery overload. If player 2 gets the points, it's player 1 that went over and that is confirmed after the end of turn one with the message:

Points granted to opponent for Artillery Overload
Player 1: 130 Player 2: 0

P1 ( Germany ) gives up 130 points to P2 ( India / Commonwealth )

If it's not that scenario then I have to start over so confirming if this is the one would be very helpful

EDIT 2:

Further tests indicate other older sceanrios produced around the same time all display Victory description messages after the Battle report screen but scenario #8 does not even when it is run using a 4 year old EXE so the arty overload issue isn't an issue for the reasons given in the first EDIT and running the scenario with an older EXE indicates the problem with the Victory report screen is at least 5 years old and not the result of any changes made with the latest patch. However, I have made a note on next years list to investigate this and see if a way can be found to correct that scenario so it will display the Victory message at game end but for all I know it may have been that way since day 1.

Don

Last edited by DRG; April 14th, 2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

EDIT 1:

Was it #8 Dickens I (Hill 445) 3/44 and did it give 130 arty overload points to the Indian player ?

If yes one mystery is solved..... those points were given to the Commonwealth player for German defensive artillery overload. If player 2 gets the points, it's player 1 that went over and that is confirmed after the end of turn one with the message:

If it's not that scenario then I have to start over so confirming if this is the one would be very helpful

EDIT 2:

Further tests indicate other older sceanrios produced around the same time all display Victory description messages after the Battle report screen but scenario #8 does not even when it is run using a 4 year old EXE so the arty overload issue isn't an issue for the reasons given in the first EDIT and running the scenario with an older EXE indicates the problem with the Victory report screen is at least 5 years old and not the result of any changes made with the latest patch. However, I have made a note on next years list to investigate this and see if a way can be found to correct that scenario so it will display the Victory message at game end but for all I know it may have been that way since day 1.

Don
Thanks Don, you got it, it was indeed #8 Dickens I (Hill 445). Sorry for the memory loss. At the end of battle it was the Commonwealth who had 35 points subtracted from a 130-point overload, not the Germans. Since the Germans had an overwhelming advantage it didn't affect the outcome. Not something to worry about.

Seems that I stumbled on an out-of-date scenario that's not worth the trouble. Please don't go out of your way to correct this. You and Andy have already done more than enough, and I'm most grateful for your reply.

Cheerio and take a much-deserved rest. You've earned it!
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:03 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Many many thanks for this patch, very nice. Installing it now.

My two favorite games are SPww2 and ASL...
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

Don
Replayed from a late-game save. You are vindicated once again: The standard score was Germany 1987, India -15. With the overload penalty the total score was Germany 1987, India 115. Obviously I misread the battle result screen the first time. Sorry for the senior moment .

Thanks again and have a great day.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Private

veneficus is on a distinguished road

I don't come to the forum often but still play regularly.

This new patch is incredible, thanks for your continued efforts on this game. Perhaps the finest ever made.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:13 AM

Corporal

void1984 is on a distinguished road

This patch completely changed the way I use the off-map artillery.
Now their delay outside the gold spot is 5 or 7, so I seldom change where the heavy barrage goes. For a fast reactive stopgap I use 80mm mortars.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:47 PM

Private

Joe1960 is on a distinguished road

For anybody wondering my v5 LC is apparently working fine in v6 though I only have a few turns done so far.

As an added bonus, or perhaps its just me and my set-up, all screens seems much more crisp and clear and easy to see and read. Something done to the background in the menu screens it appears.
I also like the unit I.D.'s that now show on friendly units.

Also, if I am reading the file correctly, the German OOB is the same as in v5 so the english name mod is being used by myself - at least the internal dates are the same.