.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 22nd, 2003, 03:17 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Big Problem - Unbalanced random events

I think a positive luck scale should eliminate the worst events entirely, but they should still be possible without positive luck. That way order/misfortune would be less of an obvious choice. Maybe order should have less of an effect on random events too, since the income is a pretty big bonus on it's own.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 04:13 PM

Corporal

Raen is on a distinguished road

I was playing a game where that random event about heroes liberating one of your provinces occurred in the province where my (rather wimpy rainbow) pretender was searching for sites. Bye, bye pretender.

Random events need to be toned down a bit .
Old November 22nd, 2003, 04:34 PM

Major

Things like that can always happen unless random events with an attack are completely removed, wich would IMO be a bad solution to a non-existant problem.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The random events have already been set to mostly avoid the beginning of the game when it can cost you the whole game.

Luck scale doesnt affect the number of events, only the type (good/bad)

Order/Chaos scale affects how often they happen (with good and bad affected by luck)

The game setting can also affect whether they happen sometimes or alot.

Certain events are more common based on other scales, province conditions, seasons, actions you have taken, etc.

There is no zero. So even if you pile ALL the settings to having as few events as possible then you get maybe a 10% chance in a province that you have not picked on in any way. Everything you do goes up from there.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:18 PM

Corporal

I think it's very much a problem. In a game against the AI, you could always either play it out for the fun of seeing if you can recover from it or start a new game.

In a PBEM game, however, where I had committed to playing for several weeks, I would be very upset if something like that happened in the first 20 moves.

I think the events happen way too often anyway, even with the rare setting. Perhaps another very rare setting would work.

The way it is now, I play with the rare setting and feel almost forced to take Order +3 so that they happen what I consider a reasonable amount of the time. That's just silly.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:32 PM

Major

The possibility of losing a pretender to a random attack is not a problem that needs fixing because: A)It's very rare, and B) you can prevent it easily by having retreat orders on your frail pretender. Or you could have him guarded.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:40 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by Teraswaerto:
The possibility of losing a pretender to a random attack is not a problem that needs fixing because: A)It's very rare, and B) you can prevent it easily by having retreat orders on your frail pretender. Or you could have him guarded.
Fine, so pick another random event that can't be defended against.

The point remains there are some of us who absolutely loathe random events and feel they happen way too often in this game.

As I said before, having to set events to rare and setting order to +3 just so I can get what I feel is a *normal* amount of random events seems very silly.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:46 PM

Major

I've found that with order 3 they are rare even with the common setting. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyway, I do think something should be done to make luck a better choice, maybe making the catastrophic events misfortune only.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Truper is on a distinguished road

I've found that with order 3, random events rare, that I get hardly any events at all. So what's "normal"? One event every 30 turns or so?

To me, the real problem with the scales as currently set up is that order is the only one with a serious effect on income. Since order 3 is therefore mandatory, you might as well mine misfortune for the points.

My preference would be to have order, productivity, and growth all have the same effect on cash - that way there might actually be variety in the scales that people chose to maximize.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:10 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Sammual:
I would like to see the larger bad random events limited to Misfortune 3 and scale them down from there. I don't like losseing 1/4 of my capitals population on turn 3 with luck 1.
Yeah, I suggested something like that in another thread - a luck system that would classify all events as major and minor, and yield an overall probability like this:

ML=major lucky event
SL=small lucky event
SU=small unlucky event
MU=major unlucky event

Luck scale values and overall event probabilities (assuming an event occurs):

Luck..ML...SL....|....SU...MU
+3......40....40....|....18....02
+2......32....39....|....26....05
+1......24....36....|....32....08
+0......15....35....|....35....15
-1.......08....32....|....36....24
-2.......05....26....|....39....32
-3.......02....18....|....40....40

So with +1 luck, only 8% of the events would by major unlucky events.

I agree that if I spend 40 points on Luck 1, I want a major reduction in barbarian invasions and vineman uprisings... but I don't really expect that to suddenly make me immune to bad weather, for example=)

-Cherry