.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Showing our appreciation for the Devs.

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
sincerity is meaningless. a construct. an illusion. a delusion. there is no such thing as intrinsic sincerity.
Heehee. This is such an oxymoron statement that it made me smile.

As for the $$$ thing, the devs have stated often that is not a driving force for them. Especially when someone tries to justify a change based on it. What they do, they do for fun. The changes we have gotten in the game have been strongly affected by the conversations (both good and bad) that occurred in this forum.

Its not hard to find examples in the archives here. Great idea threads with posts by the devs, then whether or not the thread went sour and whether or not any progress was made on that particular item. Some people here are very talented at getting their suggestions attention by the devs, and some people here are equally talented at getting the devs to turn away from a subject.

So I also will pile on loads of saccharine appreciation for my favorite game. And for every free patch and addition that I have received since then.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
I don't debate your persuit of authenticity, Omnirizon, although I think you'd find it more easily outside of whatever philoso-ethical dictionary you're using to dredge up that bit of near incomprehensibility. I also don't question your age, your persuits, the self you represent, etc. I do question your judgement-in your persuit-to besmirch someone who is themself expressing authentic character.

You can question my sappiness, or lack thereof, but you can't within the same statement call someone overly emotional, and coldly calculating, at the same time. They're diametrically opposed. And since you've already put forth your position that I am "sappy", you have proven beyond my own ability that I am acting in an earnest, real, unphoney way.

So I thank you for your compliment-obviously a high one, considering all the expensive words you used, and your earlier statement about talk being cheap-misguided and ultimately distracting to your goals though it may have been.
HoneyBadger,

Bravo! I wasn't personally moved by the earlier declarations but I enjoy seeing people stand up for themselves, or even especially for others.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Stephen G. Tallentyre

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
antiestablishmentarianism

floccinaucinihilipilification

or

hippopotomonstrosesquipidalian
I floccinaucinihilipilificate your feeble attempts at hippopotomonstrosesquipidaliation in furtherance of your imperialist, establishmentarian, Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu neo-hegemony.

-Max

P.S. Titin.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Quote:
Omnirizon said:
sincerity is meaningless. a construct. an illusion. a delusion. there is no such thing as intrinsic sincerity.
Heehee. This is such an oxymoron statement that it made me smile.

I sincerely meant that statement. so stop deconstructing what I say; wizard.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default My hippopotomonstrosesquipidalian retort.

In which I shower Omnirizon with floccinaucinihilipilification.

Omnirizon-like so many things, it's not the size of the word, it's how you use it. Take antidisestablishmentarianism, for instance. It's a great word, very applicable to Dominions3, since antidisestablishmentarianism-in a universal, and strategic senses, as opposed to it's pertinence in relation to the church of England, is pretty much the whole goal of a game, atleast in MP.

If you want a really *big* word, try pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. And wear a mask.

And if you ever visit Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamogg, be careful where you fish. Especially in the company of Algonquins.

Thanks MaxWilson
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
I sincerely meant that statement. so stop deconstructing what I say; wizard.
The halfling's weed has clearly gone to your head Omni!
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... Gandalf, seeing as how the Devs usually walk away from suggestion threads that fall apart from lack of appreciation, if the appreciation thread-already chock full of appreciation-should also fall apart, will that create a Dev-vortex that will suck us all into an alternate universe where Dom4 is already a reality?
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

ROTFL
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
sincerity is a construct; it is meaningless save as a method of deluding people into preserving a social hierarchy.

i'm authentic because i remain true to my typcial detached, irreverent, and deconstructionist self. thus i tell honey he is being saccharine and this thread's a little too sweet yadda yadda yadda.

First, your statements show a deep sense of sociopathy - you may need to do some soul searching, the unfortunate part is that if you cannot empathize with others, you cannot seek therapy, you can only help yourself.

Second, your semantic separation of the concepts of sincerity and authenticity, as regards human behavior and expression, are erroneous. The fact being, that if you are being "authentically" yourself, you are in fact "sincerely" expressing yourself. Therefor, in the context of authenticity, you are as sincere as the rest of us, when you express your inability to empathize with others.

And lastly, since upholding your personal authenticity is a sincere expression of yourself, you are also a hypocrite, and should at least choose to either authentically describe yourself as a hypocrite, or sincerely seek to change that aspect of your psyche.

So OT! The internet is a strange place, a fact that becomes so glaringly obvious any time anyone even attempts to do anything that isn't based in egotism, cynicism, arrogance, or sheer stupidity.

Would it be possible that we could all just send a couple more bucks to Gandalf's fund, and perhaps he might be so kind as to buy a really nice bottle of tequila (100% Agave, maybe something that you don't see much in Sweden? ), and send it to our friends at IW? And if so, would we find a Mescalito hidden in the next patch?
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Sergeant

dirtywick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My hippopotomonstrosesquipidalian retort.

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:

And if you ever visit Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamogg, be careful where you fish. Especially in the company of Algonquins.

You know they called that "Lake C".