World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Change Computer on PBeM, help!

Hi all...
Currently I have some PBeM games going under FULL SECURITY, but for inescapable reasons I should and must and forced to change the computer for running WinSPWW2. I have asked a forum about this problem but not quite satisfied. They tell me that it just won't work under full security.
Maybe someone can tell what should I do and what will happen if I install the WinSPWW2 on the new computer then paste the PBeM files from the old computer?
Maybe if tis just minor errors or atleast I still can play the game, I would be really glad!
I'm in the middle of these battles and I can't just give up for this inescepable fate...
So please someone suggest me what to do to continue play this PBeM, please??
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Change Computer on PBeM, help!

I think your stuffed you cannot play on another computer. Simple reason you could cheat by doing so. Some one might say otherwise but thats my understanding basic security (as in none) lets you play from anywhere.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Hi thanks for the quick reply
I know this would lead to "cheating" response. If I can stay on my old computer for just one month then I don't need to change computer, for god's sake...
The matter is, frankly speaking, I Should let this computer go next Tuesday, as this one computer I'm currently running is about to go 500 miles off my hand (it's going to be taken by someone) and will probably get back in the next 6 months or next year (or maybe never???)... Had I known that this computer will go, I will always use my other computer (though a bit slow) to run this PBeM.
Anyway, I'll never finish a 45 turns PBeM in just 3 days, right??
So, anyone please, tell me how to handle this problem... I don't care whether some errors will occur, at least I can continue fighting... (the problem is, I'm playing at the Blitz ladder. So if I just give up the game then I will certified as "Decisive Loser").
And another point, this PBeM has so far been so fun. I will never let this one destroyed!
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

There is nothing you can do. It is lost. It is no more. It has gone to join the choir invisible.....

You have just learnt a hard lesson, I'm afraid.
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:30 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
Hi all...
Currently I have some PBeM games going under FULL SECURITY, but for inescapable reasons I should and must and forced to change the computer for running WinSPWW2. I have asked a forum about this problem but not quite satisfied. They tell me that it just won't work under full security.
Maybe someone can tell what should I do and what will happen if I install the WinSPWW2 on the new computer then paste the PBeM files from the old computer?
Maybe if tis just minor errors or atleast I still can play the game, I would be really glad!
I'm in the middle of these battles and I can't just give up for this inescepable fate...
So please someone suggest me what to do to continue play this PBeM, please??
If you cannot complete your full security games on the exact same PC you started them on, in the exact same slot, and in the exact same path, then those games are higly likely to be toast. (
Same goes for anyone who tries to share the same slot between several ongoing secure PBEM games too. Toasted.)

That is, refuse to load the game toasted most likely, and not just wacky security counters.

By all means - try it and see on the new PC. You may just get totally corrupted save and load counters since the database slot on that installation was not initialised. It may go on for a turn or two and fail to load.

Secure PBEM is meant to be so, and changing computer and directories etc is a fairly high chance of a cheat being tried to the "anti-cheat" logic.

Cheers
Andy
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM

General

Quote:
So if I just give up the game then I will certified as "Decisive Loser"
Maybe not if they are decent & its circumstances beyond control if explain will probably do one of 2 things.
1) Nullify the game if you will give a rematch.
2) Agree with you what is a reasonable victory condition if the game has got far enough.
They tend to be good people over there tell him straight up now rather than hoping to get further & will probably be fine if a bit miffed. The rule is there for people that vanish or muck about not rare circumstances.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Private

pjbandit2003 is on a distinguished road

RIGHTDEVE said "So, anyone please, tell me how to handle this problem... I don't care whether some errors will occur, at least I can continue fighting... (the problem is, I'm playing at the Blitz ladder. So if I just give up the game then I will certified as "Decisive Loser").
And another point, this PBeM has so far been so fun. I will never let this one destroyed!"

I too am having fun in this game but can see the problem and dont worry about the reporting we can just call it or report as a draw (as we are only in turn 6, I think) and maybe set up another.
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM

General

Well done that man & long may your fun continue