Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM

Corporal

codman is on a distinguished road
Default favorite scout types

I've been playing a campaign as the Soviets and it's late 41. I've got two groups of cavalry scouts whose mobility I like but as of late I'm thinking that perhaps I'd be better off converting them mechanized scouts instead. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if you've found favorites among the other nationalities, it would be interesting to hear about them too.

Thanks in advance - Steve
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: favorite scout types

Quote:
Originally Posted by codman View Post
I've been playing a campaign as the Soviets and it's late 41. I've got two groups of cavalry scouts whose mobility I like but as of late I'm thinking that perhaps I'd be better off converting them mechanized scouts instead. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if you've found favorites among the other nationalities, it would be interesting to hear about them too.

I'd consider making them motorized,like MC(motorcycles)are much faster.
Russian's as do the germans and italians have some good MC's and some dismount.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I reccomend using the normal Scout section as a base, and swapping the transport around to match the seasons. Russian mud SUCKS for vehicles, and the snow isn't much better. cavalry mounts for standard scouts are, IMO, the best bet for snowy or muddy forests. MC mounts are great in the late spring/summer on the open plains, and are one of the few things that will keep up with a T-34 formation, though they are PAINFULLY vulnrable. The Komsolets mounts do work well for slower armored columns, esp if you add a couple cheap snipers, or an ATR team to bulk up the patrol.

Matt

Matt
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
I'd consider making them motorized,like MC(motorcycles)are much faster.
Russian's as do the germans and italians have some good MC's and some dismount.
I'm with Gila here. I really like the dismounted scouts, but as Mobryan says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobryan
...they are PAINFULLY vulnrable.
I won't have them in my core for that reason. Every time I use them, over half end up as cannon fodder. Granted, with the russians, anything with legs was cannon fodder.

I am currently running a Russian LC and in the same time that you are. I've got two sets of scouts in my core, one regular, and one para scouts. Both are currently in Konsomolets. They both work alright for the job they do. I also have a section of BA-6 Armoured Cars that help out with spotting.

Out of curiousity, why do you think you would be better off converting them?

Howard Tayer
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:43 AM

Corporal

codman is on a distinguished road

Lt. Ketch wrote:

Out of curiousity, why do you think you would be better off converting them?

At the moment it always seems to takes to long to to get them into a position where I can use them for actual recon. When I do find the bad guys, it's almost always by feel and they do tend to evaporate rather quickly. If I mechanize them I thought it might become possible to move even faster early on and then creep them forward on foot. Right now I have each scout formation paired with a couple of lend lease Stuarts for some added firepower as a couple of rifles and hand grenades aren't as much help as one thinks.

Steve
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I mechanize them I thought it might become possible to move even faster early on and then creep them forward on foot. Right now I have each scout formation paired with a couple of lend lease Stuarts for some added firepower as a couple of rifles and hand grenades aren't as much help as one thinks.

Steve
If you've already got the Stuarts, load each of them up with one Scout team and a pair of cheap snipers, call it done. If you lead with one sniper, the rest of the team can manouver around any suprises. I always spend the extra points for the heavy scouts with satchel charges or molotovs, JIC they run into something big, valuable and vulnerble...

Matt
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Fairly much given up buying scouts apart from maybe for some big maps. Use standard teams mainly tank killer. A Mol team or some such will do operate in pairs if playing MBT RPG teams do the close work & ATGM teams do hill lookout. Both can benefit from the odd sniper trailing though they are rare. Very effective if the enemy is dug in.
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
At the moment it always seems to takes to long to to get them into a position where I can use them for actual recon.
This is a common problem with recon elements. A suggestion that I got in another thread was to start your recon elements moving on turn one, but hold off moving your main body until a couple of turns have gone by. You can also simply deploy your main body 500 meters or so behind the deployment line and your scouts right on it. This works in advances and assaults because your enemy isn't going anywhere, and often in delays and defends because you arn't going anywhere (ideally). It's those darn meeting engagements that are tricky.

Quote:
When I do find the bad guys, it's almost always by feel and they do tend to evaporate rather quickly.If I mechanize them I thought it might become possible to move even faster early on and then creep them forward on foot.
I understand this statment to mean that your scouts tend to evaporate quickly in a hail of enemy bullets shortly after finding them. If that is what you mean, then I can say that the same happens to a lot of people, myself very much included. The think with scouts is that they can be used either as recon or selective premtive strike units, but rarly both. Recon units should see but not be seen. This preserves their longivity, not to mention their lives. It's hard to remain unseen when you've just close assaulted an enemy tank.

If you mean that the enemy tends to evaporate under the eyes of your scouts, my recommendation is to have two levels of scouts. One pair of eyes that can hopefully spot the units and another set to hurry to the area that it looks like the enemy is going. You can bet, in most cases the enemy is headed along the easist or sneakiest route to the objectives. If you're playing a human opponet, he might be headed for your rear, is is normatlly just due east/west of where they are.

I agree that if you sprint forward and then proceed on foot, things work fairly well. The trick is not to sprint right into the enemy's position, or right into the enemy's scouts. The best way to spot something is to be parked yourself and watch somebody else moving. But you probably realize this. Just remember that the enemy may be using the same route you are.

Quote:
Right now I have each scout formation paired with a couple of lend lease Stuarts for some added firepower as a couple of rifles and hand grenades aren't as much help as one thinks.
That depends on what kind of help you want. If you are looking to find the enemy and ambush them before your main body hits, then stuarts are great help, but remember, once your scouts attack somebody, they're not going to be very good recon as they will draw fire themselves. One thing that I've started doing, and other people have attested to it, is to couple some scouts with a FO/AOP. That way, when you spot the enemy you can call in accurate fire on them. You could also have a pair of T-34/57s/76s/85s travel with the scouts, but have them hang back a bit until the enemy is spotted and then-boom!

There have been some good ideas here. My ideas are simply ones that I've got and things I've learned from experience. While learnign from experience teaches you a lot, it's painful. Personally I have two scout units in Konsomolets (60 battle LC, Russia 11/41), one of them has a AOP along for the ride. I also like to attach a support recon element to my core forces in addition to my own scout units. In many cases "support" is the same as "sacrifical" as not many of them live through the battle. I like to run my core scouts along the flanks, watching for enemy movements there and, ideally, penitrating back so they can disrupt artillary in the rear, or ATGs and AAAs that may be waiting in ambush in the event my tanks break through. The support units - often a company of motorcycles w/ riders - move along the assault route and look for trouble. This means that I have two levels of recon. After the MCs engage enemy fire, and my main body sweeps through, I still have my core units spotting for the next level of enemy units. Ii have had so many problems with my recon force being in shambles after first contact that I'm not ready for the second contact. This helps ilivate this problem.

Take this with a grain of salt - I know it's a lot and doesn't work all the time. Difine what you want your recon force to do and then build it to that model.

Howard Tayer
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Horse units get suppressed as much or more as MC units IMO,

Just use a slow speed in snow and dismount and remount when possible.

I've had very little problems with them getting stuck guess they are easier to push out.

Way better than rallying skiddish horses
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Private

Dreadnought is on a distinguished road

In a defend or delay I always like to kick some light armor forward for a few reasons.

1) Scrub away the enemy's recon stuff. I want him to find my defensive positions the hard way.
2) Get a picture for what I'm going to face and where
3) Draw indirect fire to the wrong places. If artillery is pounding a Hill where I was last turn it isn't churning up my defensive positions