.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Sergeant

Stryke11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Malazon

I guess when I say die "for real" what I mean is being taken out of the tapestry of history, and even if your soul lives on elsewhere, being unable to affect events in the mortal world. By that standard Coltaine is actually one of the least offensive, as while he was "reborn", it was as a child and it will take many years for him to grow and become relevant again.

Compare to: Paran, Silverfox, Tool, The Bridgeburners (in spirit form), the Malazan historian (can't spell his name, etc. who die and yet immediately come back and are able to impact events.
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

I agree that Coltaine's death was more "real" (less D&D-ish) than the others you name. The fate of a certain Bridgeburner in Reaper's Gale was very... perplexing to me. I don't really understand the metaphysics of death and immortality in the Malazan universe but I hope Erikson is going somewhere interesting with it. Erikson has explicitly said that immortality is one of the ideas that motivated his stories in the first place: what if larger-than-life personalities didn't die but kept turning up again and again in human history? What if Alexander the Great and Napoleon and Hammurabi and Aristotle and Mohammed were all STILL ALIVE? I don't think it's merely a matter of hating to kill off characters.

Note that Duiker is still radically transformed by his experience, crippled even. Silverfox is not the same person she was before, although Nightchill still influences her. Paran is the most direct "resurrection" I can think of aside from [Reaper's Gale spoiler], whose resurrection I don't understand at all yet. And [other RG spoiler] too, actually.

-Max

Edited for spoiler

P.S. Wait a second, Tool? Are you sure you don't mean Toc? If Tool died just because Silverfox released him as First Sword that would just be depressing.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Sergeant

Stryke11 is on a distinguished road

Oh heck, I didn't even consider Toc Younger. That's a good example!

When I say Tool I mean how he basically got hammered by the Seguleh but then was "resurrected" as a tribesman.
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Major General

That was just a classic "saved-in-the-nick-of-time-by-your-sister" event, though. Hardly a resurrection.

I do not think we have seen the last of Toc. K'rul predicted two future meetings with Kilava, one of hardly any consequence (which we saw in RG), and one more... momentous. It's possible of course that K'rul read the future wrongly. (Either way, I don't think he'll reappear before the end of MBotF.)

-Max

Old June 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Corporal

Sleet is on a distinguished road

Great series, on the House of Chains book right now. I like the changing/emerging character of Karsa Orlong.

This is a series where I need to take a break after each to.. soak in the gory and glorious details.
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

I think this is perhaps the best example of a series that begs to be re-read as you need to know the story before you can really understand everything you are reading. I am still working my way through it (on Reaper's Gale) and it is definitely starting to get interesting, but I look forward to the second run through.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Private

Masquerade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MalazAn (seriously, who put the O in there?)

Best fantasy series I've ever read by a long, long way. I picked up Gardens of the Moon just before a flight to Turkey, hadn't heard anything about it or Erikson just knew I needed a book for the holiday.

Whilst playing the Dominions demo I couldn't help notice how similar in feel the game was to Erikson's series, if the pretenders weren't actually linked to any set nation and could pick and choose as the game went on then it would pretty much be identical in a way.
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Major General

Default Re: MalazAn (seriously, who put the O in there?)

Hmm. Including the possibility of pretenders stupidly getting killed by mortals.

-Max

Old October 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Malazan Book of the Fallen

Necroing this thread just to say - I finally finished Dust of Dreams (book 9) after the second attempt. I am not sure why the first attempt stuttered to a halt - i think i just got lost with all the tribesman and too many names. Anyway, on the 2nd go around, I could hardly put the thing down.

If anyone else has read this series, I found this thread that could be helpful, though probably best to save until you have read through once already: Malazan re-read
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

iRFNA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Malazan Book of the Fallen

HAIL THE MARINES!