Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Niefelheim Pretender Design Question - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Sergeant

Belac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Niefelheim Pretender Design Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzurdaddi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
On the other hand, Niefelheim has super awesome skinshifters. You can try playing them without a bless and use skratti werewolves for sc duty.
And what armor do you want to put on them? Well if you have 9E6N or 9E8N robe of the battle saint is the most efficient.

9E6N or 9E8N works great on their Jarls, it works great on their troops, it works great on the werewolves when they wear RBS.

The only thing you may want is a little astral for the MR. But it is of lesser importance than the earth and nature.
Is an Imprisoned Oracle a good way to get an E/N dual bless? Or does Niefelheim need an awake god for research/a mobile god for exploration/is there some other reason why this physical form is unsuitable?
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Best chassis for E/N bless is the Master Druid. I'm going to agree that the sacred troops are too expensive to use, but that doesn't mean E9N? is useless either. Its just another viable strategy.
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzurdaddi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
On the other hand, Niefelheim has super awesome skinshifters. You can try playing them without a bless and use skratti werewolves for sc duty.
And what armor do you want to put on them? Well if you have 9E6N or 9E8N robe of the battle saint is the most efficient.

9E6N or 9E8N works great on their Jarls, it works great on their troops, it works great on the werewolves when they wear RBS.

The only thing you may want is a little astral for the MR. But it is of lesser importance than the earth and nature.
Is an Imprisoned Oracle a good way to get an E/N dual bless? Or does Niefelheim need an awake god for research/a mobile god for exploration/is there some other reason why this physical form is unsuitable?

Most people chose the master druid, especially under CBM due to the starting paths of e/n.

That being said, the imprsioned oracle can certainly make a good choice. It depends on where you want to take your game.

For example, were I playing with several hot nations one might conclude that pushing cold might be very important. Whereas the points saved on a Dom9 pretender would easily have the oracle pay for itself.

Similiearly, if you wanted to go using scrattis SC's you really do not need an N bless. However you will be crying for MR.
So an F9S9 oracle or FOB may well be worthwhile (presuing niefle gets these).
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM

BANNED USER

F9 is bad news if you're planning on blessing your thugs. The flaming weapons from the bless will overwrite whatever brand you gave them.
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

I'm curious, so you dump all your design points into a blessing and you're going to buy exactly what to make use of that? Your Jarls are *600* gold, your giants are over 100. You need at least decent if not actively good scales. Sacking scales for a blessing is *not* an option.

Ok, I'll admit I'm assuming CBM 1.6 as the benchmark of any discussion. But as I've seen exactly 1 game made without CBM on these forums in the last 6 months, that's a fairly valid assumption.
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM

BANNED USER

Really Squirrel, you're getting rather more vehement than necessary. Yes, the bless is expensive. Yes its perfectly possible to play differently. Its also perfectly possible to play with the bless. Calm the frick down and let people do their thing.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
F9 is bad news if you're planning on blessing your thugs. The flaming weapons from the bless will overwrite whatever brand you gave them.
Truman, optimum build using scrattis does not use a brand at all.
Rather, you are looking at two blood thorns.

Usually I would go with a water bless instead for the extra attack. Usually, I would prefer armor of souls rather than an s9blessing. But a lot of options are perfectly playable.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

The only game where I am playing Nief was started under the old CBM 1.5, where the Jarls were only 500 gp. And still a viable option with the standard giant bless (E9,N4). The Skrattis are still a good option too though, probably more so under 1.6. The skinshifters are just too expensive in my book though, at 80 gp each.

I believe CBM since 1.5 includes the worthy heroes mods, which gives Nief the heroes that can summon Hirdmen. Why buy skinshifters, when, if you take a little luck, you can get tons of Hirdmen for free? Yeah, they are not as good as skinshifters, but they are pretty tough, and free.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:48 PM

BANNED USER

However, imprisoned oracle or fountain is not one of them.
Niefle doesn't get either oracles or fob as a pretender choice.
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

The bless also lets you save gems. To get the effect of e8n6 you need a 7n and a 3n forge, which is more expensive than a shroud after alchemizing (and eats two forge and item slots).