.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:27 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood Indies

Give him Blood 6 & Fire 1 and bring on the soul contracts real early!
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmikronWarrior View Post
A strategy I played around with in my head (and a little in SP) is using the Blood Fountain (which combines a low cost with a significant bonus to blood hunting) to quickly get LA Man a blood economy. With Growth-3 and patroling Judges taxes can remain at 100% with out generating excessive unrest and still increase the population (though not as quickly). Problem was I just couldn't figure out how to translate an enormous early advantage in blood economy into success on the battlefield while sacrificing an SC or a rainbow.
This sounded like a neat idea, so I tried it in SP. I thought with CB1.3 I'd be able to leverage the reduced cost and research for Call Lesser Horror.

Order-3, Prod-3, Grow-3, Luck-2, Drain-3, Blood-4 fountain.

So, I spent the first year slowly expanding with just vanilla troops and the prophet, and then by the second year I empowered 2 Magisters Arcane in blood. They can take a province together with (Call Lesser Horror, flee) -- well, they turn it into an uninhabited zone that a Judge/scout/whatever can walk into the next month and steal. Another scout can sneak around carrying slaves for casting in his pocket.

But. Here are the problems I found with this strategy:

1 - It's really slow expansion

2 - With drain dominion, they get 120 fatigue from one Horror cast and can't flee the battlefield for a while.

3 - The horrors can be lost to lances, etc. Then the mages are toast.

4 - Even with Grow-3, both Magisters I empowered got diseased in Late Winter!

I was thinking of going with mass Lifelong Protection, researching Const-4, but gave up before I got there.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM

Sergeant

Poopsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Rejuvenate/boots?
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
Quote:
A strategy I played around with in my head (and a little in SP) is using the Blood Fountain (which combines a low cost with a significant bonus to blood hunting) to quickly get LA Man a blood economy. With Growth-3 and patroling Judges taxes can remain at 100% with out generating excessive unrest and still increase the population (though not as quickly). Problem was I just couldn't figure out how to translate an enormous early advantage in blood economy into success on the battlefield while sacrificing an SC or a rainbow.
This sounded like a neat idea, so I tried it in SP. I thought with CB1.3 I'd be able to leverage the reduced cost and research for Call Lesser Horror.

So, I spent the first year slowly expanding with just vanilla troops and the prophet, and then by the second year I empowered 2 Magisters Arcane in blood. They can take a province together with (Call Lesser Horror, flee) -- well, they turn it into an uninhabited zone that a Judge/scout/whatever can walk into the next month and steal. Another scout can sneak around carrying slaves for casting in his pocket.

2 - With drain dominion, they get 120 fatigue from one Horror cast and can't flee the battlefield for a while.

I was thinking of going with mass Lifelong Protection, researching Const-4, but gave up before I got there.
IIRC, LA man has a stealhty 1-1-1 mage. He'd make a great assassin. Give him a black heart or a soul contract....

Also, iirc one of LA Man significant weaknesses is lack of SC worthy chassis. Blood might be used to overcome that.

I've always thought it would be interesting if some units could perform blood sacrifice without a temple. Stealthy blood sacrifice in an opponents dominion just sounds.. well.. cool.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM

Sergeant

Nikelaos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
Quote:

how about using you're pretender for blood summons, you have the heliophagii to make use of and and arch devils and such.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikelaos View Post

how about using you're pretender for blood summons, you have the heliophagii to make use of and and arch devils and such.
Your pretender is not going to be able to summon anything that will help with your initial expansion. And later you'll have a tough time competing with the real blood nations to get the unique blood summons.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?