.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 26th, 2007, 08:53 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jomon, Broken Swords v0.8

Updated to 0.8. See first post. The twins attack graphic is a temp. It's fixed in the preview but I forgot to in the zip. Attached is preview pic for linkage purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: png 572848-Preview Jomon.png (56.2 KB, 124 views)
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM

BANNED USER

Default Re: Jomon, Broken Swords v0.8 RELEASED

Why am I bumping this? Because Jomon were updated in basegame!

Clearly I will want to update this shortly, so why not try it out and give me some ideas?
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

If they could summon corrupted versions of Jomonese summons, it would be great. I'm thinking about blood rituals used to twist the kamis, B/E for mountain ones, for example.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:43 AM

BANNED USER

That's definitely possible, modifying their graphics/stats/description would be an interesting exercise too.

That said Jomon Broken already has quite a few summons of its own. Of course those are troop rather than mage summons.
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

Flavour wise it would seem normal that the Kami are harder to corrupt & summon than just summon, so you could put higher requirements for an equivalent Kami.

Best would be to add blood to the other regular paths, but I think you're limited to 2 paths, nope ?

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM

BANNED USER

2 paths only, correct.
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

Thread Necromancy!

(Enchantment-3, requires a D2 caster, costs 8 death gems....)

I started a new SP game with Jomon Broken last night. Sombre is right: This mod is an overlooked gem. Good flavor, nice units ... just a good mod.

Here are my thoughts so far....

My pretender is an S6B6 awake Blood Fountain. Scales are Order-3, Growth-3, Misfortune-2, Drain-2. I saw the Shrine Maidens -- sacred blood hunters for 100 gold each -- and I decided to go blood-crazy. More blood!

First thoughts about expansion: Even without a great bless, the Sheathless Ones are pretty tough. They cut through indies like a hot knife through butter. Then they did the same when I accidentally bumped into a Bogarus expansion party. Heh. Poor saps.

That said, I don't think that Jomon Broken is a bless nation. The Sheathless Ones are your only sacred troop, and they're cap-only. Heavy blesses for cap-only sacreds seem like a bit of a waste to me. Anyway, as I mentioned above, the Sheathless Ones don't need a bless to be plenty dangerous. So why bother?

Misfortune was probably a mistake. Jomon Broken does not have great PD, and I'm having trouble with barbarian attacks. I should have done something else for those points. Maybe I should have put my god to sleep....

Anyway, a fun mod. Thanks, Sombre!
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM

BANNED USER

No, thank you for playing the mod and giving feedback :]

If I were to update Jomon Broken, what should I add? I wanted to get some nine tailed foxes in there, but I think perhaps I should just do a nine tailed fox pretender instead.

Are there any j-horror tropes that I haven't got in yet?
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:23 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

My suggestions - the Taiko as a hero. Somewhat improved mr for demons and undead, or at least for the buried/drowned/burned. 12 is a bit low for mages. Price decrease on red musume? 200 feels like a bit too much... maybe 150 instead. I think they deserve a unique SC or two, whether as summons or as the pretender ala 9 tailed fox I'm not sure. Perhaps a kyuuketsuki hero. I'd also kind of like to see an o-toyo hero or something who would tell us more about why the women came from the east.

The crimson twins would actually make for a pretty cool pretender... perhaps too good of one though.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre
No, thank you for playing the mod and giving feedback :]

If I were to update Jomon Broken, what should I add? I wanted to get some nine tailed foxes in there, but I think perhaps I should just do a nine tailed fox pretender instead.

Are there any j-horror tropes that I haven't got in yet?
Further play indicated that Misfortune-2 was definitely a mistake.

I made a mistake by getting into a two-front war with Ulm & Bogarus. Then, the Bogarus Cyclops pretender smashed my main army into splinters. The same turn, barbarian hordes snatched two of my provinces. Bleah....

So I'm restarting with a sleeping Green Dragon. N9 magic, Order-3, Growth-3, Misfortune-1, Drain-2, dominion 6. Nature is one of the biggest holes in Jomon Broken's magical arsenal, so I'm looking to fill it with my pretender. Berserking, regenerating Sheathless Ones are just an added benefit.

For suggestions ... I'm a bit stumped. One of the reasons that I overlooked Jomon Broken for so long is that I'm not into Japanese horror. I just don't know much about it. So I'm not a good guy to ask for suggestions.

EDIT: So I looked up J-Horror on Wikipedia. Not a lot of detail, so I followed a few of the links to read about some J-Horror films.

Wow. There's some nasty stuff for you to consider. Lots of gore, mutilation, and sadistic stuff. Wow. Um, wow. Borderline NSFW, so be warned....

---

I do have one observation, which is that the descriptions for the Dog Samurai (and other halfbreeds) claim that:
Quote:
All halfbreeds can cover long distances without tiring.
And they all get mapmove 3, which was probably your point. Unfortunately, the Dog Samurai are saddled with the nasty Heavy Samurai Armor, which gives them high encumbrance. So these halfbreeds which can cover as much terrain as an untiring Undead also tire out in many battles. Perhaps their base encumbrance could be dropped to 2 or even 1?

Last edited by SlipperyJim; January 14th, 2010 at 03:04 PM..