War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Private

jameycribbs is on a distinguished road
Default New Resolution Option

I hope the devs read this forum.

First of all, thanks so much for keeping Steel Panthers alive and enhancing it. I played the original back in the day, but have not touched it until I recently purchased WinSPWW2. This game rocks!

Now for the wish, please, please, please, pretty please add an option to play the game in 1440x900. I run it on a Macbook Pro and it works great running under both Parallels and Crossover Games, but the largest screen size I can use is 1024x768. I'm really wasting a lot of screen real-estate.

I believe 1440x900 is a very popular native resolution for a lot of laptops these days, so I'm sure there are others who would also appreciate this.

Thanks again for a great game!

Jamey
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Resolution Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameycribbs View Post
I hope the devs read this forum.

First of all, thanks so much for keeping Steel Panthers alive and enhancing it. I played the original back in the day, but have not touched it until I recently purchased WinSPWW2. This game rocks!

Now for the wish, please, please, please, pretty please add an option to play the game in 1440x900. I run it on a Macbook Pro and it works great running under both Parallels and Crossover Games, but the largest screen size I can use is 1024x768. I'm really wasting a lot of screen real-estate.

I believe 1440x900 is a very popular native resolution for a lot of laptops these days, so I'm sure there are others who would also appreciate this.

Thanks again for a great game!

Jamey
Select windowed mode, and a resolution greater than your desktop size (1680 would do here). Unless your graphics driver has some problems, the window will take up your full desktop size, less the area for your Windows taskbar which remains at the bottom of the screen (So you can see the clock, email notifications etc). As described in the Game Guide, do not use the "auto hide" feature on the taskbar. Now adjust your mouse scroll sensitivity zone to match, if needed (e.g. problems at the bottom of the screen).

All as already described in the "Tuning Your Machine" section on windowed mode in your game Guide, and multiple times in these forums.

(Presuming the mac Windows emulator works as for regular Windows?.)

Cheers
Andy
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Private

Thanks, Andy. That works just fine in Parallels (Windows emulator). Unfortunately, no luck when running WinSPWW2 under Crossover Games. It just creates a very narrow window that stretches the whole width of the screen and the app doesn't respond to keystrokes or mouse input.
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The narrow band of mush is what sometimes happens if you are silly enough to have "auto hide" applied to the task bar in Windows. Auto-hide seems to completely screw up the DirectX or Windows systems metrics calls reported for the desktop area.

Ensure that this other emulator does not have auto hide, or it may be that it is sitting in between the game and the driver and playing with the calls somehow. (Perhaps there is an option for it to use a particular specified window size in some sort of INI file?).

Also, you may want to uncheck DirectX and use the GDI mode - your other emulator may be happier with that, especially if it is some sort of thing to mainly run office software on the mac.

Other than that I cannot really help any more - macs and their foibles, like Linux, are not really supported. Only Windows, and it seems your other Windows emulator works fine.

Cheers
Andy
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Not suprising as think Crossover only supports about 70 games, believe it runs in Mac OS but adds a few files Windoz needs. It therefore is not an emulator
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,462 Times in 2,706 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

We offer windowed and fullscreen modes in the belief that at least one of those two modes should work for nearly everybody and if the game is running in a Mac now as Andy suggested ( the game resolution would be 1600x1280 not 1680 ) under Parallels then it's working for you even if it doesn't in Crossover

Don
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:51 PM

Private

Yep. As I stated above, this work-around works fine in Parallels. As far as Crossover Games, not complaining, just providing some customer feedback.
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,462 Times in 2,706 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

QUESTION FOR ALL

Are there any other players using a Mac and Parallels to play the game ?? Does it work for PBEM ??

Don
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

There are several Mac emulators out there, cant remember there names but while most emulate one converts the enviroment completly to Windows. This means its not really emulating but running as a PC so not wasting processing power emulating.
Cant remember the name of it or which person I played had this set up but PBEM worked fine.
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:28 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
There are several Mac emulators out there, cant remember there names but while most emulate one converts the enviroment completly to Windows. This means its not really emulating but running as a PC so not wasting processing power emulating.
Cant remember the name of it or which person I played had this set up but PBEM worked fine.

You are probably talking about Boot Camp. This is a feature that comes with OS X. It basically allows you to create another partition on your hard disk and dual-boot either to it or to the partition that holds OS X. It is not necessarily specifically for Windows, you could just as easily install Linux on the second partition and use Boot Camp to boot to it also.

So you are correct, when you boot into your Windows partition, your Mac is running Windows natively (one of the benefits of Apple switching to Intel processors several years ago) and functions just like any Windows laptop.

Its kind of a pain, though, to have to re-boot to run a Windows program, which is why so many people run one of the virtual machine emulators like Parallels, VirtualBox, or VMWare.

The only time I use Boot Camp to boot natively into Windows is when I know I will be running a resource-intensive game and don't want to take up any system resources running the game through a VM.

Thankfully, that is not a problem with WinSPWW2 as it runs quite snappily in Parallels.