ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 25th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road
Default Preference screen

Is there any way to save the preferences screen selections? I´m playing with the 2.51 ver and I´ve notice that the selections get reset after exiting and re-entering the screen even during the same game(this situation didn´t happen with Dos SPMBT if I recall well) so is there a way to get the changes permanent until new selection?
Old November 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Preference screen

Quote:
RVPERTVS said:
Is there any way to save the preferences screen selections? I´m playing with the 2.51 ver and I´ve notice that the selections get reset after exiting and re-entering the screen even during the same game(this situation didn´t happen with Dos SPMBT if I recall well) so is there a way to get the changes permanent until new selection?
Are you by any chance playing a secure PBEM game?. If so, the preferences set for that game will overwrite any local settings.

Cheers
Andy
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Corporal

Pepper is on a distinguished road

I have a related question --

Will the local machine's preferences override the preference settings in a scenario?
Old November 26th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,483 Times in 2,710 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Pepper said:
I have a related question --

Will the local machine's preferences override the preference settings in a scenario?
There are no specific scenario preferences unless the sceanrio designer specifies in the text that one side or the other needs to be set to a new number <<<manually>> and IF you do that you will need to check it every time you restart *IF* you are running PBEM at the same time.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..
Old November 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Mobhack said:
Quote:
RVPERTVS said:
Are you by any chance playing a secure PBEM game?. If so, the preferences set for that game will overwrite any local settings.

Cheers
Andy
No sir, I´m playing normal scenario/battle game against the AI.

Is that normal?, I mean, are the preference screen selections supposed to reset after exiting and re-entering the screen?
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,483 Times in 2,710 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
RVPERTVS said:

Quote:
RVPERTVS said:
No sir, I´m playing normal scenario/battle game against the AI.

Is that normal?, I mean, are the preference screen selections supposed to reset after exiting and re-entering the screen?

I just checked this with my master game That's the game your's was built from. Any changes I made to the preferences stuck from turn to turn and also when I restarted a saved game so no what you are seeing is not "normal" and not the way the game was coded.

You may have a corrupted INI file for some reason

Go to your \Game Data and DELETE the file

Game Preferences.ini

That will clear the game preferences to the default settings. You'll need to reset them to what you want then , when you exit the preferences screen the game will write a new Game Preferences.ini for the \Game Data and will read that while you play your game

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:47 AM

Sergeant

Thanks Don, I apreciate a lot,though I think I've found out the cause:

I play the game (CD 2.51v WinXP)on my sister's laptop where I have my own user profile, meaning I don't have full acces to the system, even when I run the game I can't modify any of the parameters of the intro selection screen because I get the "Unable to write to (...)camogame.ini", so, now that you say the Game Preferences.ini file has something to to do with this I guess maybe that's why none of my selections on the preference screen stays because it can't write to that file. I can't run a test right now due to the lack of her password, but I'll let you know. I'm not a PC wizard or whatever but does that make sense to you?

BTW I have no problem with the game, it runs like a charm on this laptop, my preference screen selections take effect until re/entering, and I have them customized to my choice, so, I can live with a host user profile.
Old November 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM

If YOU cannot write to it in that profele, the game cannot, either. Therefore the INI settings will be whatever they were at start-up and NOT what you changed them to, as the write to the INI with the changed settings will fail.

You will probably need to install the game under the user profile you are actually set up for (or play around with user settings on that PC to allow you access - if it's XP Pro it may allow that?).

Cheers
Andy
Old November 29th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Sergeant

All the preference screen selections take effect and stay until re-entering the screen, if so the settings get back to what they were.
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM

preferences are written to the INI file on exit of the game (which will fail if your profile wont allow writing). Cannot recall if the preferences are written to the file on simple exit of the prefs screen, or if thos stay in RAM till game end.

Cheers
Andy