Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Closed Thread

Old February 19th, 2003, 11:00 AM

First Lieutenant

Growltigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ye New Galactic Bar & Grill & Phong\'s Head Cantina - After Hours

David Gervais, now I have had 12 hours to stop laughing, I can respond without collapsing on the keyboard.

"Elmer"? fantastic, be thankful that your parents didn't go for "Oliver" otherwise your initials would be "DOG"..

OK, it is unfair for me to poke fun at you. I have three middle names, of which one is a family name and one reflects the fact that I was born in the tail end of the 1960's and I am sure my mum was on some illegal pharmaceuticals...

Time to confess (as none of you will probably ever meet me), two of my middles names are "Horatio" and "Lysander". The other is the more normal "Bruce"..

Question 1 - what is this chatroom Mac was referring to? is there another cantina-esque forum I should be frequenting?

Question 2 - Ebay - can someone tell me why whenever I bid on something, irrespective of how high my max bid is or otherwise and how close to the end of the auction I log on, someone always beats me without fail. I have been trying tobuy a boardgame on ebay for about 2 months now and I have never yet one!!
Old February 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by mac5732:
David G. Yep, i was just wondering if we could have an avatar in the space in front of the thread on the forum instead of a smily, or postcard or whatever it is etc. just wondering

tks mlmbd, appreciate it.... see ya in the chat room..

just some ideas mac
I don't think that the tiny icons (smiley's, note/pin, thumbs up etc) can be modified by the user! Even if I drew one there is no way to insert it into the forum thread heading! If someone knows of a way to insert user defined icons I'd be willing to make one!

Cheers!
Old February 19th, 2003, 01:14 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by growltigger:
Question 2 - Ebay - can someone tell me why whenever I bid on something, irrespective of how high my max bid is or otherwise and how close to the end of the auction I log on, someone always beats me without fail. I have been trying tobuy a boardgame on ebay for about 2 months now and I have never yet one!!
The few times that I examined Ebay I noticed a strange thing,.. when people are bidding and the bids are too low (lower than the expected or target price) it appears that the 'Seller' has the right to enter a final bid to close the sale and in effect purchase it himself. If this is the case I'd say that the seller just wasn't satisfied with your bid and was unwilling to sell at the price you offered. Another possibility is that there are some pesty little buggers that get a real kick at stealing away final bids just to annoy the heck out of 'bidders' like yourself.

Just a few thoughts, and I believe that the first option is more likely!

Cheers!
Old February 19th, 2003, 03:13 PM

Major

mlmbd is on a distinguished road

Mac, You are most Welcome!

GT, the 'chat' room is one of two places. First is IRC (SE4), the other is Yahoo. Both are live. It is fun.

About ebay; I have developed a pretty good way to acquire item's I want. Some 25, at Last count. 1) Find the item you want. Check the bidding history. If there 'have not' been any bids, don't make one, just track the item. 2) Wait until about 15 mins before the auction is about to go off. Re-check the bidding history. Notice if there have been repeat increases. This well be a tell if someone has placed a 'maximum bid'. And ebay is placing bid's for that user. 3) Now decide how much you are willing to bid. In 'Word Pad' (or whatever text editor you like) type in that amount. Now split the difference between 'your' top bid and the current bid. Bid that amount. Load a second browser window. Go the bid page. You are going to use this one to update the page. At the end of bidding, this is done every 5-10 'seconds'. OK, you are ready to kick *** on all those wanta bee bidder's. Using this method I have only lost out on 8 items I wanted. 3 went past what I was willing to pay, 4 never made the minimum bid required (this is what I think you have witnessed 'David') and one I lost to a bidder quicker than me. So, this system works, pretty good. Hope all this makes sense, and helps.

David,
Quote:
The few times that I examined Ebay I noticed a strange thing,.
See my comment above!

mlmbd
Old February 19th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Major

primitive is on a distinguished road

Elmer:
Hmmm, that would make you sort of a cousin of Taz (fellow Looney).
Should get you a lot of free drinks.

Horatio:
Good name, I love those old Hornblower books.

Lysander:
So am I right when I guess that being a lawyer is (sort of) a family profession among the tigga’s.

Edit: Typo

[ February 19, 2003, 13:56: Message edited by: primitive ]
Old February 19th, 2003, 03:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Mlmbd, apologies but I am only a techno-virginal humble lawyer, I dont understand what your procedure means, can you send me a PM with an idiot's guide?

and where do I find these IRC (what's that?) and Yahoo sites?

Primitive, my father is ex-royal navy and I come from a family of seafarers so the Horatio I guess comes from that. I do like to think I am a bit of a salty sea-dog who likes to make people have a lick of the cat! Ahaa m'hearties, splice the mainbrace and call the cat a bastard

I am the first of my line to be a lawyer. My father is still getting over the shock. Lysander comes from a family name, all Tigga males have the name of an ancient Greek hero, my bro is "Achilles", my cousins have "Bellerophon", "Agamemnon" and "Ajax" and my 2 nephews have "Diomedes" and "Thucydides" (we were a bit worried about that one, I did suggest Jason or Hercules)

There hasn't been a female birth in the Tigga clan for about 60 years so lord knows what the practice is there

[ February 19, 2003, 14:20: Message edited by: growltigger ]
Old February 19th, 2003, 04:26 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
IRC (what's that?)
IRC=Internet Relay Chat - which is basically real time group typing-talk.

To participate, you'll need to install a new bit of software. It's a small download and pretty straightforward. I recommend a program called Trillian - plenty of ppl here use it - or you might want to use mIRC, which might be better for a beginner.

[ February 19, 2003, 14:28: Message edited by: dogscoff ]
Old February 19th, 2003, 04:31 PM

Major

GT, PM sent. As to Yahoo, log on here; http://www.yahoo.com/

Download Yahoo! Messenger; http://www.yahoo.com/r/p1 There you go.

IRC, it is "#se4 on Gamesnet IRC". Here is a thread that will help explain it; http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...;f=23;t=007574

mlmbd
Old February 19th, 2003, 04:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Real time group typing talk? Mirc? Trillian?

Oh dear, me no speako techno-babble lingo and donto comprehendo waddya you talk of?
Old February 19th, 2003, 04:56 PM

Major

GT, Well instead of waiting minutes for an answer or response to a question or comment. It is in real time, seconds. Help any?

mlmbd
Closed Thread