.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:52 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road
Default What I\'d like see AI do in SP play

In playing SP games, I've noticed that the AI really doesn't build or conjure up many specialty units. I'd like to see the Ai build more Bemeaths, Elephants, angels etc. I think this would make SP play a lot more fun and probably a little harder as well. In D2, the ai seemed to build/conjure more then in D3. In D3 i've seen some elephants once in awhile but only in very small groups and a few other special units but not in quanity. But, why can't it build 15-20 of them or bemeths in some of their armies or Iron Dragons, Stone Gargoyls, and many others in decent amounts?. This would make for a tougher game. In additon I would like to see Helheim go back to the way it was before the patch. It was a lot tougher when it could build its special units in all their forts. I know this would hurt multiplayer games but maybe they could restrict it to only SP play?? Like most games, multiplayer has a direct affect on SP play and sometimes it takes strength away from SP play. Maybe restrictions on certain units or whatever in multiplayer vs sp in order to keep sp a little tougher. Oh well, just my 2 cents. Its a fun and additive game

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What I\'d like see AI do in SP play

I've seen the AI use quite a lot of summer lions etc. The MA arco AI builds normal elephants. It seems rare for the AI to both get to conj9, and have a mage able to cast awaken tarrasque.

I've thought of making a mod that makes overpowered copies of the coolest summoning spells which the AI can use but I will not use myself. Like, AI_call_abomination, conj7, S2W1, 25 gems.

You could play against middle era vanheim rather than helheim, they can build their vans everywhere... but their normal guys aren't glamoured.
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I think the biggest thing the AI needs to change is the decision process behind when and where to attack,.. and with what forces. I can't count the number of times the AI has thrown small forces of assorted crap at a province which either has a big force stationed there or has some insane province defense. If it had built up said assorted crap for 4 turns before sending 'em out there then they /might/ have had a chance, but no, it has to jump the gun every single turn. I mean when the AI will throw a group of about 20 militia, an /expensive/ leader unit (which is inevitably destroyed) and maybe 10 other random missile units at a province that's armed to the teeth,.. for the 10th time in a row,.. well that's just not right.

I'm not saying there's no challenge there, just that the AI is much worse than was suggested to me.
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sombre said:
I think the biggest thing the AI needs to change is the decision process behind when and where to attack,.. and with what forces. I can't count the number of times the AI has thrown small forces of assorted crap at a province which either has a big force stationed there or has some insane province defense. If it had built up said assorted crap for 4 turns before sending 'em out there then they /might/ have had a chance, but no, it has to jump the gun every single turn. I mean when the AI will throw a group of about 20 militia, an /expensive/ leader unit (which is inevitably destroyed) and maybe 10 other random missile units at a province that's armed to the teeth,.. for the 10th time in a row,.. well that's just not right.

I'm not saying there's no challenge there, just that the AI is much worse than was suggested to me.
Yeah--I've stood off a more powerful empire with a single chokepoint with something like 100 PD. It was attacked every turn, he kept bleeding away his force and destroyed himself without my ever doing anything about him.
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

i've seen AI use iron dragons, in the mega game, mind you.
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mac5732 said:
In playing SP games, I've noticed that the AI really doesn't build or conjure up many specialty units. I'd like to see the Ai build more Bemeaths, Elephants, angels etc. I think this would make SP play a lot more fun and probably a little harder as well.
What I've found has helped is providing AI opponents with extra powerful magic sites within their capital. The extra gem income allows them to use more magic for summoning.... during one long game I had Arcos attack me with 5 Juggernauts!
Also as you may have noticed the AI usually does poor when it comes to research... to help the AI with research provide him with a library within his capital. This works on having his research match closer to that of a humans even for multiplayer games.

To make this possible you can edit the .map file and make changes based on information from the map edit PDF document.
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:01 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The problem with "Ive seen the AI" threads is that the AI does in fact have a logic path that it thinks on. Ive actually seen some well thought out alternatives that seem to have been worked into the AIs logic. But its hard to do.

You get into laying out a specific course of action such as IF you have ### gold then recruit xxxx, yyyy, zzzz. And IF you have ## gems then cast ccccc. You might end up with a decent logic path but it tends to play well only for certain nations on certain maps.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:21 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I'd just like a check,..

Question: If I invade with these troops will I win this battle? Answer: No chance in hell. Action: Do not attack yet.

Obviously it's not that simple, I'm just saying that's the major problem I've seen with the AI. not the troops that its building but the way it's sending them lemming like to their deaths every turn for no gain.
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I dont remember seeing quite that much lemming action. Do you set all the AIs to aggressive by any chance?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that too. Especially with water nations. I built up a border of 30 PD around all my water accessiable proviences and the computer has hundreds of troops in the water, but keeps throwing 30-40 agaisnt the PD which get slaughtered.

Jazzepi