This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $7.00
Bronze- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 4th, 2024, 06:39 PM

Corporal

Uncle_Joe is on a distinguished road
Default Any mods or tweaks for the 'ricochet' sound?

As in the title, are there any mods or tweaks I can use to alter the sound of the ricochet effect to speed it up?

In general I'm very happy with the speed of combat resolution vs the amount of info that I have set but if there are a decent number of armored vehicles in an area, the game can slow to a crawl from repeated 'shell splinter' and similar ineffective results against armor.

In my current game, things were going well until the German drove up 6 halftracks in a tight group and mixed with infantry. Trying to use my MGs on the infantry results in dozens and dozens of ricochet effects that made combat resolution stretch to an extremely long time (especially considering that it's just informing you of an ineffective result).

Any setting or tweaks or mods I can grab or set to change/reduce/remove the extended and repetitive ricochets?

Thanks much for any help!
Old June 4th, 2024, 07:52 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any mods or tweaks for the 'ricochet' sound?

Really, I don't even see why we need that sound. I guess it serves a purpose though, you know you didn't completely miss, so you can be somewhat confident your shot wasn't for nothing, the target should take a little bit of suppression from it (maybee).

I see what you mean though. There might be 50 tanks in a hex, when it probably took only a spit second to fire then have to listen to 50 ricochets. A more realistic situation might be a targeted platoon of 5 tanks in one hex then have to listen to 5 ricochets. Then firing again, then have to listen 5 more ricochets. Then fire again, then have to listen 5 more ricochets. After that, you probably have more tanks that will have to go through the same mess. Makes you consider not firing so you don't have to listen to it, but you can't win if you don't shoot at the enemy. This really gets annoying with opportunity fire or when you have multiple tanks taking their turn in order. The ricochets really ain't that ugly of a sound, it just takes forever to listen to them all, plus you have to listen to the silence between the ricochets, so you have to listen to it for twice as long. What a drag.

I don't know if there's a mod that would fix this, but I haven't been able to cancel the sound with any of the available options. I would love to see this problem solved too.

Last edited by Dion; June 4th, 2024 at 08:05 PM..
Old June 4th, 2024, 11:53 PM

Corporal

As a partial solution, I replaced sound 82 (the ricochet) with the standard little 'click' sound. That has helped somewhat but if anyone has an alternate solution, I'd appreciate it.
Old June 5th, 2024, 12:11 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,883 Times in 1,226 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Why not do what I do - simply turn the sound off?

The game is not a flight simulator, where the noises are useful things like an RWR lock-on warning, or a "Pull up!" announcement from the computer if it thinks you are going to colide with the earth.

It also saves on annoying the family and neighbours at zero dark thirty
Old June 5th, 2024, 07:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,556 Times in 2,739 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Joe View Post
As in the title, are there any mods or tweaks I can use to alter the sound of the ricochet effect to speed it up?

In general I'm very happy with the speed of combat resolution vs the amount of info that I have set but if there are a decent number of armored vehicles in an area, the game can slow to a crawl from repeated 'shell splinter' and similar ineffective results against armor.

In my current game, things were going well until the German drove up 6 halftracks in a tight group and mixed with infantry. Trying to use my MGs on the infantry results in dozens and dozens of ricochet effects that made combat resolution stretch to an extremely long time (especially considering that it's just informing you of an ineffective result).

Any setting or tweaks or mods I can grab or set to change/reduce/remove the extended and repetitive ricochets?

This generates more questions than answers. First and foremost is what do you have your animation level and Message delay set to in Preferences?

The lower they are set the faster the game runs as less time is expended in each function

Also, Do you have the show blast radius ON in GameOptions MISC?

If that is ON it also slows things down a few microseconds as time is not spent displaying them for every ricochet event which you might get firing a MG into a group of tanks

Alternatively, you could DL a sound editor and experiment cutting the ricochet sound shorter but in the 2+ decades I have been doing this this is the first complaint I have ever read suggesting the ricochet sound is slowing game play to the point of someone asking for a fix for it

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..

Last edited by DRG; June 5th, 2024 at 08:04 AM..
Old June 5th, 2024, 08:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

The game is not a flight simulator, where the noises are useful things like an RWR lock-on warning, or a "Pull up!" announcement from the computer if it thinks you are going to colide with the earth.

Andy, Turning the sound off will not change this particular "problem" in any way as all you are doing is not hearing the event

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..
Old June 5th, 2024, 09:27 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

I also never play with sound, mostly because I use this game as one of my "podcast games" that I play while listening to other things. For example, right now I like to listen to a series of talks about the Byzantine Empire in the evening and play WinSPWW2 or Age of Empires 2 "in the background".
Old June 5th, 2024, 12:30 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Joe View Post

This generates more questions than answers. First and foremost is what do you have your animation level and Message delay set to in Preferences?

The lower they are set the faster the game runs as less time is expended in each function

Also, Do you have the show blast radius ON in GameOptions MISC?

If that is ON it also slows things down a few microseconds as time is not spent displaying them for every ricochet event which you might get firing a MG into a group of tanks

Alternatively, you could DL a sound editor and experiment cutting the ricochet sound shorter but in the 2+ decades I have been doing this this is the first complaint I have ever read suggesting the ricochet sound is slowing game play to the point of someone asking for a fix for it
No worries. I've played for 20+ years off and on and for whatever reason TODAY I decided that it was a problem lol. I think it was just that sequence with my MGs and all the German halftracks which got very repetitive.

But all good, I just downloaded a .wav editor and sped up the sound quite a bit and "problem" solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle_Joe For This Useful Post:
Old June 5th, 2024, 03:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

See how you like this one.... I had to zip it
Attached Files
File Type: zip 82.zip (61.1 KB, 52 views)

Old June 5th, 2024, 04:25 PM

Corporal

That should hopefully work great too! It sounds better than the one I made so I'll give it a try, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle_Joe For This Useful Post: