This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 6th, 2001, 12:02 AM

Sergeant

Trachmyr is on a distinguished road
Default \"Can only inhabit starting planet type/atmosphere\" dissapointments

When I saw the new options I was really happy... I thought it would be really cool to add an additional level of complexity to colonization (god knows it needs it), unfortunaetly I was really dissapointed.

Turns out, it restricts you to your races starting planet type/atmosphere... NOT those of the race you are trying to colonize with!

Does anyone else here share my sentiment that the options should be tweaked to refer not to YOUR race, but the race that you are trying to colonize with?
Old April 6th, 2001, 12:48 AM

Private

MasterDave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"Can only inhabit starting planet type/atmosphere\" dissapointments

I was sort of disappointed by this fact too. I captured a Krill colony ship, fully expecting to be able to colonize a huge carbon dioxide world in my home system with it, but when the ship arrived there, I got a message that I could not colonize that atmosphere. I had another captured transport holding 525 Million Krill Civilians, and once I found out that I could not land them on the new colony I was planning, I was forced to jettison them all into space, as the few Krill planets I had conquered with troops were full. That was quite an atrocity, spilling 525 Million enemies into the void...

Overall, I thought that limiting the number of colonies I could land on would make the game harder to win. However, since these limits applied to all the AI's as well, everyone's empire wound up being smaller, and when I started conquering Krill planets via ground troops I found myself getting to the MEE stage and imminent victory even faster than in the usual game settings. If only the AI would ever use troops itself to invade its enemies, a colonize only your own atmosphere and planet type game would be much more of a challenge.
Old April 6th, 2001, 02:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

Marty Ward is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"Can only inhabit starting planet type/atmosphere\" dissapointments

Try this for a different type of game.
Small quadrant
10 planet start
Lots of AI
Only Colonize your planet type and atmoshpere.
Any other settings you like.
You will probably be at war within 5-10. There will be very few planets for you to colonize.
It makes a good use of the two options and you jump right in to the fight. Also, everyone starts out able to build huge fleets quickly. I have a bLast playing this way.
Old April 6th, 2001, 04:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

chewy027 is on a distinguished road

Agreed. The option should be extended to all races. This would make capturing races more important.

BTY what do YOU think about the Civil War idea Trachmyr. Could you please give some input/suggestions in the "intergalactic ciivil war!!??" thread

[This message has been edited by chewy027 (edited 06 April 2001).]
Old April 6th, 2001, 06:34 PM

Private

MasterDave is on a distinguished road

In the new game I started Last night, I did not choose to limit colonization at all for the AIs. I have, however, resolved that I will not learn Ice or Gas colonization (I am playing with a Federation shipset oxy/rock), nor will I use the all-too easy shortcut of capturing and analyzing enemy colony ships to learn those techs. The only way I will allow myself to acquire a non-rock colony will be to conquer one with troops, or capture an enemy colony ship and use that to colonize an ice or gas planet. I am hoping that this self-imposed limit will make for a longer and ultimately more challenging game with the AI.

Of course, in this new game where I am playing with these self-imposed restrictions and AI set to High difficulty and medium bonus, I have found myself bordering hostile Gamilons (another race from this forum from "Star Blazers") and the TDM Version of the Serghetti (who have a huge fleet of Polaron Beam toting destroyers) on the other side. I am in 11th place out of 20 races and fighting two major wars. This is more like it!

------------------
Follow the Golden Rule:
"He who has the Gold makes the rules.."
Old April 6th, 2001, 06:42 PM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

MD,
I also usually play with those same self imposed restrictions and I also never capture another planet, unless I'm trying the Pirate trait. I always seem to get another colonization tech if I capture another planet. It does take something away from the game though.
I wonder if the 3 colonizing techs could be treated like a racial trait, if you didn't choose it in the beginning you can never learn it. Then you could capture enemy planets but not gain the tech.
Old April 7th, 2001, 01:48 AM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

A nice option would be to be able to choose these options for each race not everyone. Or maybe expand it to allow you to choose which types (more than one) of planets and atmospheres each race could colonize.