Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old February 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Private

mosborne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mechwarriors?

Sounds like turn-based Mech Commander 2. It would be great if a Mech Commander 3 came about, but don't see it happening.

It will be interesting to see how weapon load out is handled or are you thinking of only canned units?

Recommend moving this to another part of the forum as it seems the discussion is drifting away from the scope, unless we want to change the title to beyond 2020 (ie. 2150+)!
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

The icons would not be difficult to model per se. Just a question of scale. Only problem is you'd be short on space if you decided to have no turrets on these things.

As for the OOBs, well, I don't see why that should prove such a challenge either. How many of these things were you thinking of making anyway? If you intend to make hundreds of them then there might be trouble but a half dozen standard units (AA, AT and AP loadouts) should be no trouble.

Movement isn't a problem either. Just pick something light that already moves with superior cross country capabilities and you have it covered.

Post some more pictures of what you are thinking of please. I'll take a look and see if I can't make an icon or two. The reference materials have to be good though (technical drawings and anything close to top down is prefered).
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM

Corporal

harlikwin is on a distinguished road

I tried doing this a while back for a more generic Sci-Fi mod. For doing things like hammers slammers. Dirtside. Battletech, WH-40k.

The general issues I ran into were:

Movement:
The current movement classes were a major limitation for many types of vehicles present. The main issues were with hovercraft and other "low flying" type vehicles that could cross water and work on land (never resolved) And alot of BT vehicles were of the hover type. Mecha I just gave them an infantry move class IIRC and that seemed to work.

Weapons:
Generally this was doable, though you have to get creative for some things Like lasers or plasma type weapons. For battletech most of their weapon classes and ranges don't make a ton of sense outside of their "system".

Armor:
Again, doable though converting from the old Battletech system to a sane armor penetration model can be frustrating.

Size/LOS
For mecha there is no way to abstract their "superior" setup of being huge and thus being able to "see" further etc.

Infantry: There is no way to deal with power armor infantry in the game I found acceptable, this was the major stumbling block.

Then there were the other weird weapon/systems issues that weren't amenable to conversion, though as of V4 I think they added a few things like CIWS and such.

If the Camo team wants to release a SP-Sci-fi game that would rock but I doubt it will happen.
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:14 AM

Corporal

Anthony_Scott is on a distinguished road

Hey gals and girls, Matrix Games has just released titans of Steel, a mechwarrior game, for free. Yes, FREE. Since these are the folks that gave us Steelpanhters WAW, you can bet it's good. This was orginally posted in SP:WAW depot forum, but since some of you are looking for this I thought that I would post it.

Oh and it has a VERY steep learning curve!

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...:.Warring.Suns

Enjoy!

Semper Fi, Carry On
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Anybody remember the old "Ogre" game? That's what this converstaion is reminding me of. Also, I know that SSI put out a game called Fantasy Generals (geared off of the different "generals" games like Panzer, Allied, Pacific ect.) so you never know what someone is willing to do.

Don and Andy, please don't think I'm speaking for you.

Howard Tayer
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Scott View Post
Hey gals and girls, Matrix Games has just released titans of Steel, a mechwarrior game, for free. Yes, FREE. Since these are the folks that gave us Steelpanhters WAW, you can bet it's good. This was orginally posted in SP:WAW depot forum, but since some of you are looking for this I thought that I would post it.

Oh and it has a VERY steep learning curve!

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...:.Warring.Suns

Enjoy!

Semper Fi, Carry On

This game is aweful. I can't imagine paying 40 or 50 dollars for this.

If you have to do mechwarriors better to go with Mechwarrior 3 or 4. Mech Commander/MC2 provides a top down view if you you prefer that view.