World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM

Private

mosborne is on a distinguished road
Default PBEM Security Question

Hi:
Before I knew better, started a couple of games using the same slot 1 and 4. I've been noticing numbers flash on the bottom of the screen when I first start up, but just recently started investigating. After reading several threads, I am clear that playing the same slots is something that shouldn't be done because it messes up the security. I've also learned that there is a hot key to pull up the security info (haven't tried it yet). I believe it is key "1". I also read that if we continue using the same slot something will fell.

My question is regarding the last statement. What happens if we (me) continue using the same slot? Is this defininte or just a possibility? If it going to fail it is best I forfeit now and start over.
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:23 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: PBEM Security Question

mmmmmmmm I have heard this before but I have never had a problem reusing slots over and over. I take files ZIP'd, RAR'd and without being compressed and have never had any problems.

Have you had a problem? As for the "1" key I've never heard of that, so much in this game, one reason it never bores!!!

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:01 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM Security Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborne View Post
Hi:
Before I knew better, started a couple of games using the same slot 1 and 4. I've been noticing numbers flash on the bottom of the screen when I first start up, but just recently started investigating. After reading several threads, I am clear that playing the same slots is something that shouldn't be done because it messes up the security. I've also learned that there is a hot key to pull up the security info (haven't tried it yet). I believe it is key "1". I also read that if we continue using the same slot something will fell.

My question is regarding the last statement. What happens if we (me) continue using the same slot? Is this defininte or just a possibility? If it going to fail it is best I forfeit now and start over.
Secure PBEM games should never be shared in the same slot, as it completely screws up the recording of security loads/quits information for the multiple games. You wont be able to tell if your opponent is cheating, and he will get duff info as well.

One secure PBEM game occupies the same slot for the entire life of that game.

If you need more than 5 secure games played at the same time then get the CD edition.

Insecure mode can be played in the same slot as they do not record loads and quits info.

Andy
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:03 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Question Re: PBEM Security Question

Good day, Andy

I'm now not clear on what we are taking about as to being "shared". Because I have been using the same slots now for several Campaigns and a single game, Now each one has been with the same opponent just different games, can I expect an Atomic reaction at some point?

Bob ou

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Bob if you are playing basic security as the campaign is no problem, but if the battles are full security I would expect meltdown is iminent
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

So, how can this problem be passed for someone that doesn't have the CD version? (not me, I have it). If a PBEM game doesn't end and a new starts at the same slot, what's the safest way to overwrite the "abandoned" PBEM game? It shouldn't be to just copy the newer files over the "abandoned" game since of the problem mentioned. It would be nice to have a "delete pbem" game but then I guess that could be abused.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
So, how can this problem be passed for someone that doesn't have the CD version? (not me, I have it). If a PBEM game doesn't end and a new starts at the same slot, what's the safest way to overwrite the "abandoned" PBEM game? It shouldn't be to just copy the newer files over the "abandoned" game since of the problem mentioned. It would be nice to have a "delete pbem" game but then I guess that could be abused.
Thats no problem at all, if you abandon a game or it ends just start a new one in that slot. What you should not do is play 2 games at the same time in the same slot by swapping save files.
CD makes no diffrence just lets you play a lot more at the same time.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Thats no problem at all, if you abandon a game or it ends just start a new one in that slot. What you should not do is play 2 games at the same time in the same slot by swapping save files.

This is all true. Once a game has been "abandoned" you are free to start a new on in that slot but you must not, especially with a secure game, to try to play two games from the same slot at the same time.

We thought this was all very clear in the game guide. I would suggest anyone with any questions in this regard go back, read that section again, and if there is still things un-clear let us know and we'll re-write that section so it IS clear.

PBEM campaigns ONLY use basic security so they aren't as "touchy" about this as secure PBEM is

Don
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post

So basicaly it is ok to use the same slot for more than one game, just as long as you do this once. So for example a battle is abandoned in turn 5. Another guy starts a new battle on the same slot, sends me the files and I copy them and start the new battle and there are no problems with it.
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM

General

Quote:
So basicaly it is ok to use the same slot for more than one game, just as long as you do this once. So for example a battle is abandoned in turn 5. Another guy starts a new battle on the same slot, sends me the files and I copy them and start the new battle and there are no problems with it.
When you have finnished playing a battle for whatever reason that slot is now free again to start a new one in it.
Think about this or read the guide if you could not once you used all the slots you would need a new game