.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 5th, 2011, 08:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansanjuan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
So (as a consequence of these blasted arrows) my Prophet has "lost his one & only eye", and has Att/Def/Prec=0. OK, I'm beginning to understand this game, I build "Eye Of The Void" --- that replaces an eye, so it must be right. Lo & behold... I'm still blind --- wtf
The eye of the void will always make an eye blind but gives the commander pen+2. Often a fine tradeoff as precision 100 spells always hit even when cast from a blind mage (they may be resisited though depending on MR..will help Smites cast by prophet) Was your prophet single eyed because of an earlier injury? You can heal units in the game in a number of ways that will cure blindness, etc. However the eye of the void is cursed and can't be removed.
-ssj
The "one and only eye" refers to a single eyed unit, such as cyclopes, Agarthans, and a few others. If the unit had two eyes to begin with, it would be "lost the other eye as well" or something like that.

You can't see through any of the magical eyes - they just occupy an eye socket.

As sansanjuan says, being blind doesn't necessarily matter if you're casting either battlefield-wide spells (divine blessing, for instance) or precision 100 spells (soul slay, etc.)
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
And, not only does blood hunting cause unrest, but that unrest will make the blood hunting much less successful.
That's, by the way, another reason to use bloodhunting deeper into your territories: provinces recently taken and/or with enemy Dominion usually have higher unrest - so hunting is less effective.
As for Blood magic in general: yes, Ermor threat was greater, even though MA Marignon also considered demon-worshippers an enemy.
Also, Blood magic per se does not mean your god is evil. It may be practiced by secular mages of the nation regardless of it's god having any particular opinion on the subject (Bogarus). God's evilness may be measured more by the fact of whether he/she accepts blood sacrifices. The most evil in this respect would be, of course, EA/LA Mictlan. As an interesting aside, in MA Mictlan we have the only case where the god clearly forbidden Blood magic. Unfortunately, game engine does not (for now?) enforce this. Another interesting bit is that EA Marverni's god accepts blood sacrifices, but the nation has no Blood mages.
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

He's an Agarthan "Oracle of the Ancients". Giant. I think they only have one eye coz of what it said, but I can't tell/see Now I'm stuck with EotV, as you say. But my Precision is still 0, coz I have no eyes. Which makes no sense, since it says EotV replaces an eye. And if you need 2 eyes and I haven't got them, at least warn me!?
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:57 AM

Sergeant

Olive is on a distinguished road

I just ran a few tests, funny thing is you can equip one Cyclops with two magical eyes - even if the first one blinds him - or a Master Lich with three.

Btw, you can give a magical eye to a Granite Cyclops without blinding him - two eyed Cyclops, yay . But the game I used to make the tests uses an ancient version of Endgame Diversity, maybe it has been corrected recently.
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:44 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

It is long known that magic eye can be stuck onto any bodily surface. Palm, chest, forehead, back of your head, crotch, tip of your tongue or tentacle...etc

Which begs the question, why did they have to put them in their eye socket first in most cases?

Also for Allfather pretender, couldn't you stick the eye in his empty eye socket?
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalgenesis View Post
Which begs the question, why did they have to put them in their eye socket first in most cases?
It is a rule. The, my commanders are idiots, rule.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalgenesis View Post
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He's an Agarthan "Oracle of the Ancients". Giant. I think they only have one eye coz of what it said, but I can't tell/see Now I'm stuck with EotV, as you say. But my Precision is still 0, coz I have no eyes. Which makes no sense, since it says EotV replaces an eye. And if you need 2 eyes and I haven't got them, at least warn me!?
Oracles of the Ancients have death magic. You could have the unit cast Twiceborn (might need a death staff if it's only got 1D), and then get it killed in dominion to return it as a Wight Mage. You'd have more precision than an "off the rack" oracle that way, even if you decided to re-apply the eye of the void (not to mention two eyes, amusingly enough.)
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix
The Following User Says Thank You to Stavis_L For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:35 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agarthans are decribed as being one-eyed.
And for a prophet, putting an eyye of the void gives better penetration, and smite doesn't need precision, so you can still use your prophet effectively.
The Following User Says Thank You to LDiCesare For This Useful Post: