Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Best Roleplay nation - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Roleplay nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numahr View Post
Generally I like human nations for the RP aspect. To imagine "normal" humans trying to survive and build an empire, with all their weaknessess, in this strange magical world, is inspiring to me.
Not only that, but i would argue human or near human civs are the only ones you can really roleplay, because you can understand how they think.

I mean, Eagle Kings are fricking celestial beings. They've descended from the heavens to lord over mortals and guide the race they fathered. How can you possibly roleplay that - its so completely alien as to be an incomprehensible mindset. It could very well be the case that today the color orange is the most important thing in the heavens for theological reasons, and so the EKs decree that no one wearing or displaying the color orange is to be harmed. Why is orange so important? Its beyond your comprehension - you're only human.

If anything Rlyeh is like 10x worse.

Anything sufficiently divergent from human might as well act as if it were insane, because from a human perspective that's what it would look like.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I tend toward roleplay for all my nations even in mp dom3 games.

My favorites for roleplay would be Pangaea, Marverni, Tir na n'Og, Arcoscephale, Caelum, Kailasa/BadarLog, early Ulm, Marignon. Oceania.

I have seen and very much understand the RPG factors for nations such as Ermor, R'lyeh, Sauromatia, C'tis, Hinnom, Tien Chi but the appropriate attitude for those just doesnt match me. I cant seem to get into them altho I do appreciate it when someone else in a game Im in does it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

[quote=Squirrelloid;754551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numahr View Post
Not only that, but i would argue human or near human civs are the only ones you can really roleplay, because you can understand how they think.
I see it as, yeah they are divine magic beings but the wanna-be gods of the world are driven by the desire to kill all the other wanna-be gods and send them to the plane where they get summoned back after 10,000 years as crippled crazed Tartarians.

In Dom3 Divinity = Organised crime family in the middle of a turf war.

So Eagle Kings are very understandable, your either with them or you fry.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I tend toward roleplay for all my nations even in mp dom3 games.

My favorites for roleplay would be Pangaea, Marverni, Tir na n'Og, Arcoscephale, Caelum, Kailasa/BadarLog, early Ulm, Marignon. Oceania.

I have seen and very much understand the RPG factors for nations such as Ermor, R'lyeh, Sauromatia, C'tis, Hinnom, Tien Chi but the appropriate attitude for those just doesnt match me. I cant seem to get into them altho I do appreciate it when someone else in a game Im in does it.
Pangaea and Tir na n'Og are my favorite nations for roleplaying in MP.
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
I see it as, yeah they are divine magic beings but the wanna-be gods of the world are driven by the desire to kill all the other wanna-be gods and send them to the plane where they get summoned back after 10,000 years as crippled crazed Tartarians.

In Dom3 Divinity = Organised crime family in the middle of a turf war.

So Eagle Kings are very understandable, your either with them or you fry.
No. The pretender is totally distinct from the nation. Sure, the pretender just wants to kill all the other wannabe gods and send them to tartarus. But that has nothing to do with what the *nation* wants. Roleplaying a pretender chassis is totally different than roleplaying a nation.

Now, the nation ends up worshipping the pretender gods. But why? How? Of course, there are many possible answers, but all of these are going to have nuances based on the people in charge. And since I don't know how an EK thinks, because its totally incomprehensible to mortals, I can't figure out why they follow a pretender god.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No. The pretender is totally distinct from the nation. Sure, the pretender just wants to kill all the other wannabe gods and send them to tartarus. But that has nothing to do with what the *nation* wants. Roleplaying a pretender chassis is totally different than roleplaying a nation.
I agree with the above.

Quote:
Now, the nation ends up worshipping the pretender gods. But why? How? Of course, there are many possible answers, but all of these are going to have nuances based on the people in charge. And since I don't know how an EK thinks, because its totally incomprehensible to mortals, I can't figure out why they follow a pretender god.
We may not know how an Eagle King thinks, or a wizard for that matter, but it is fun to take a stab at it. By your line of reasoning, we would be regulated to role playing militia.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:23 AM

Sergeant

[quote=Foodstamp;754607]
Quote:

We may not know how an Eagle King thinks, or a wizard for that matter, but it is fun to take a stab at it. By your line of reasoning, we would be regulated to role playing militia.
Now that would be interesting, an AAR from the viewpoint of a lowly militia. I think it would be awesome but getting a militia to survive in-game to the end would be an effort. Maybe beeline to GoR and then make the militia a prophet for hit-point bonus and then add items to increase survivability.

"Our giant masters have plunged the whole world into winter, is there no limit to their power?"

or

"Today an abomination was summoned into this world to fight for my master. As tall as an elephant with only one eye and reeking of decay, they wielded in battle lightening from the heavens themselves."
The Following User Says Thank You to Doo For This Useful Post:
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM

Sergeant

Here's a roleplaying challenge:

MA Ermor, Pretender has to be the Ghost King, Prince of Death, a Lich or a Vampire. Scales have to be at least Sloth 3, Cold 3 and Death 3.

The theme is MA Ermor meets LA Ermor, the land is becoming unproductive waste filled with the undead. Large armies enter your dominion at their peril.

I'm playing with sites at 50 and have found a decent death gem income. I chose dominion 10 to try and push my low supply but so far I have not had the money to build temples, I'm investing heavily in the Grand Thaumatics (whatever they are) and have researched Twiceborn but so far after around two winters no oldies have gained any afflictions. I chose Order 3 (no-brainer?), Magic 1 and I think Luck 3. The occasional +money random events really help.

Playing on Parangos a highlight has been getting knocked back to 4 provinces, 2 castles and 2 no castled, in an early Pan rush. The home province was under siege but two turns of mass casting Revive Wight provided a leathery group fit to provide the central mass and support the flanking longdead cavalry. Now Pan has been totally pushed back and I'm faced with risking having to enter their dominion.

Anyone else got a roleplay challenge?
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I like EA Aboleths for roleplay. They're a challenge. Getting inside the heads of a Nation of eldritch abominations isn't for the weak of heart, mind, or imagination.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

You left out stomach there.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.