.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old November 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why Kailasa, Bandar Log, and Patala NEVER WIN

Care to respond to the fact that you have no basis for your assertion, considering the lack of data?

Or do you just want to rant some more?
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
I have used 65 Man PD, [...] It is just plain mighty after 20.
Yup, I guess I'll stop arguing at this point.
Emergency comic relief
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM

BANNED USER

Lord_Bob is on a distinguished road

I assume a state of war exists. Let's take this nasty raiding and jazz it up some. My raider, after taking a province, guesses that another adjacent province won't have an army there next turn. Let's say he has a 50% chance of being right. I also assume the province I took has a 400 gold monkey force right adjacent to it, ready to take that province back. Let's note that the 400 gold force is twice the cost of mine, and I just tied it up for a turn.

So, I get 35 gold for the turn I own province 1, my enemy loses 50 gold because I took the province from him. My raiding force has a 50 percent chance of doing this again, and just to keep things simple, a 50% chance of dying while inflicting no casualities at all. That means the net loss gain of this force is 127.5 gold(plus the 400 gold force I tied up). But I decide to be a big meanie.

So, as LA T'ien Ch'i, I buy 15 PD at a cost of 112 gold. This PD has a net value of 600 gold and pastes the 400 gold monkey army. And I owned the province for another round, and my opponent didn't. Up another 50 gold, him down another 50 gold. That's another 100 gold. So whats the total loss gain?

127.5+400+100=627.5 gold. YEAH!
My investment=312 gold.

Ok. That worked pretty good. But it only worked because 200 gold can beat monkey PD. No other PD is that weak.

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

I will say the units of PD are more important for larger maps of 400+ size. Personally for multiplayer with large maps I avoid nations with weak PD... I lost a province to a simple 'call of the winds' despite the 15PD for Machaka.

A nice feature included within DOM_4 would allow nations ways of upgrading existing province defense. I haven't given much thought for exact mechanics, but ideally players with the most provinces should have a higher upkeep for these upgrades thus struggling players can put up a stronger fight as they start losing. Not sure if the upkeep should be gems or gold or stationed commanders or a combintation or something else.
*perhaps increasing upkeep as provinces are further from the capital... whatever upkeep combination is decided. *
No talk of DOM_4 in the future yet, but it's in my prayers.

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lch said:
Quote:
Lord_Bob said:
I have used 65 Man PD, [...] It is just plain mighty after 20.
Yup, I guess I'll stop arguing at this point.
I have used PDs of 125, as it is fun to look the AI to waste its troops against it. Offcourse it is no sane strategy for MP but that is something other.

But please dont stop what might become a very nice flamewar
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:

Why dont you just get your own 200 gold force out if indys instead of buying 20 PD for the same price, so you have at least a 50% chance in winning.

And then I put them in every province and pay maintenace every turn. And then they die to a slightly more powerfull force. PD, in order to be effective, has to be CHEAPER THAN THE RAIDING FORCE THAT CAN BEAT IT.
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM

BANNED USER

I took over another players game, and only had the power to hold onto the capital. It is now 15 turns later, and I have killed over 3500 gold in various nations that have attempted to eliminate me. This is MP. Ha. Ha.
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Those aren't roadblocks. Those are targets. Unless you've built forts or strong garrisons.

Even demonic/undead garrisons have opportunity costs. They aren't counterattacking/raiding your enemy. The mage is summoning not bloodhunting, etc etc.

And the other monkey nations have cheap priests for blessing and upkeep-free sacred summons right? If you really wanted to stop raiders, a couple of those in each province will stop your "200 gp force" dead.
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Let a thug wipe out your PD. I'm willing to bet whilst the little monkeys count for one towards the rout chance like a Bandar, they'll also count for one when you slap vengeance of the dead on the thug massacring the little fellas.
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM

BANNED USER

I took over another player and was going to lose anyway.

The point was to hold unto my capital and kill as many poor fools who try to take it as possible. Total losses currently exceed 3500 gold from various nations.

And I even offered to pay some of them not to attack me. They really should have taken the money. Yomi did, and he got a free castle and lab.
Closed Thread