Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road
Default Riots?

Playing SE5.

2 of my planets (the first two that I colonized, both are in my home system) are rioting. The "mood" is rioting, but they are 100% loyal to me. Also, I have researched the Recreation Services tech (not sure, but I assumed that that would help with the rioting). I have dropped several troops onto the planets.

I am not sure what else to do to end the rioting. The rioting is hurting me, though, becuase those two planets are basically doing nothing.

oh, and the game isn't too far in, either. I have not come in contact with any other empires, so I am pretty sure that there is not any spies causing me trouble.

and, I should mention, that I am using the Balance Mod by Kwok.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Riots?

"Several" troops is not enough troops. Try 60-100. "Police" troops are particularly useful; use the smallest hull size with no components (just a cockpit) and you get some cheap, quickly built riot control.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM

Corporal

Tim_Ward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am not sure what else to do to end the rioting.
Or, you can try:

- Moving moar ships into the system. Like troops, these also improve happiness.
- If there are large hostile fleets in system, destroy them or make a treaty with the owners
- Construct an urban pacification center in the system.

It's all a bit vague and haphazard, though. Frankly, the planetary management side of SEV is by far the weakest part of the game. It is little different to the system in SEIII. I hope it gets a drastic overhaul for the next iteration.

Quote:
The "mood" is rioting, but they are 100% loyal to me.
Loyalty and happiness are different things - loyalty represents the degree of assimilation into your empire of newly conquered subjects. I'm not sure what, if any, effect this actually has though.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

The significant difference from SE3 is that there are limited short-term controls on popualtion happiness.

In SE3 you could shorten the work week to boost happiness and stop riots.

Dropping troops is a potential way to do it, but it dosen't scale well if you have tiny units giving the same effect as a land dreadnought.
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Private

BudgetMessiah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dropping troops is a potential way to do it, but it dosen't scale well if you have tiny units giving the same effect as a land dreadnought.
Hmm...what do you mean by this? That it takes several small troops to give the benefit of a large troop? And that this is a bad idea?

I would think that, in terms of pacification just from a realism perspective, smaller troops would be vastly superior in ubran upheaval situations compared to larger units. This is plainly the way it works in real life. main battle tanks aren't that useful in policing people, but boots on the ground (with guns, usually) are more than up to the task.
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Every troop counts the same for happiness purposes, whether it is a low tech small troop or an end-game large troop. This is an issue with how the stock game is set up, with bigger almost always being better. For regular (combat) usage, it doesn't make any sense to build small troops when you have larger available. For policing purposes, it doesn't make any sense to build big troops. The data setup has some diametrically opposed goals.

Its quite possible to design a better system in mods, where you have actual practical differences between small troops (infantry) and large troops (main battle tanks), such as more hit points / kiloton available for infantry and more damage / kiloton available for tanks.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

Yeah, strange that.

I know I'd probably be less inclined to cause trouble if the cops were 12 feet high than if they were regular-sized, though.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Private

Quote:
Fyron said:
Every troop counts the same for happiness purposes, whether it is a low tech small troop or an end-game large troop. This is an issue with how the stock game is set up, with bigger almost always being better. For regular (combat) usage, it doesn't make any sense to build small troops when you have larger available. For policing purposes, it doesn't make any sense to build big troops. The data setup has some diametrically opposed goals.

Actually, if I am reading you correctly, this is exactly how I would have set things up. Perhaps even giving larger troops a penalty for policing populations, but the fact that smaller troops are more cost-effective in this role, it more-or-less accomplishes the same thing. Tanks suck for civil purposes (relative to troops) so why would a simulation present this differently (assuming it's a good simulation)? Tanks don't quell insurgents in Iraq, and they weren't really used during the unrest in New Orleans, and these are just two examples of why a simulation should present smaller troops as being preferred in civil situations.

Players shouldn't be able to just mass up one type of all-purpose troop to accomplish all goals equally well, if not for the reason I've already described, and just for game mechanics reasons. Different tools should be required by players to accomplish different goals, that's a given. I'm glad that the game encourages this in some way; it makes sense to me.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Actually the (stock) game does not encourage diversity in troop designs... the only possible consideration is for police troops. Any other design for troops favors anti-diversity.
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Private

All the more reason to keep that aspect of the game included.