Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Wishlist Does a mod like this exist? - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Private

Ond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does a mod like this exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
No, it would dilute the player base. Its a terrible idea.

If you want some mindless RTS, go play SC2 or WC3.
So I ask for a mod or an extra settings option, and all of a sudden I am some RTS judas out to dilute the player base?

Ok so how about we make this option single player only. Would that be ok with you? Or are you worried about that as well?
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Its already been explained to you why what you want is bad for gameplay. You of course refused to answer whether supplies and troop movement should also be abstracted out because it requires micromanagement - probably because it shows exactly why your suggestion is bad.

Regardless, what you want is impossible. But even if it was, there would be no reason to do so.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ond View Post
Anyways, with a hardcore option and a normal option, we'd both get what we want.
No, it would dilute the player base. Its a terrible idea.

If you want some mindless RTS, go play SC2 or WC3.
Did you miss this part:

Quote:
Especially in SP games.
Quit being a douche bag.

Ond,

I just set all the combat spells that required gems to give 100 fatigue during battle for single player games. That way I don't have to fiddle with the gems and the AI benefits from it too, not that the AI can be helped that much.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Private

Thanks Foodstamp, I'll try that.
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Corporal

Deathblob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
I just set all the combat spells that required gems to give 100 fatigue during battle for single player games.
Did you miss this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ond View Post
I'd really like a mod that eliminate the need for gems on commanders.
Ond,

100 fatigue means the spell requires a gem. You should try 99 instead.
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Major General

Oops, I meant 99 .
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Ond:
Would you play Chess against the computer (ie, SP) where you removed the computer's Queen? Sure, the game is easier if you do so, but you're missing an important part of gameplay.

Regardless, the unmodded SP game already has this feature. Its called 'don't use combat spells that require gems' - because against the AI you will never need them. Unlike chess, there is no good AI for Dom3.

Foodstamp:
I'm not being a douche. What he wants is actively not good for gameplay. And considering his major objection to gem management was *other players gaining advantage by spending more time*, it clearly wasn't a SP-focused complaint.

Of course, if he wanted to complain about the things where time really can be used to gain advantage, he should be complaining about the debugging tools dom3 has, like ctrl-U (iirc) to add units to combat, which aids immensely in testing scenarios, and -ddd so you can see what happens in a combat. And a player who really wants a time advantage can have fought the expected combat several hundred times while tweaking his spell and army scripting between each one to see what the optimal scripting was. Easy access to gems for spells (or to the spells which require gems themselves - by removing that requirement) expands the possibilities immensely, and thus increases the advantage of having time to test-run an expected combat repeatedly.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Major General

I've looked through the thread twice and cannot find where he was talking about it not being fair to have to manage gems in MP. It is still early morning here so I may have missed it (I'm not much of a morning person before coffee/breakfast on weekends), but I did see several indications to SP and the AI.

BTW, my experience playing like this, with fatigue set to 99 on spells at the very least makes the AI use more spells. Of course you have the same advantage, but you probably did anyway because you knew to tote gems around to cast those spells. Overall, it's +1 for the AI, and +.05 for you.
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Private

Quote:
Ond:
Would you play Chess against the computer (ie, SP) where you removed the computer's Queen? Sure, the game is easier if you do so, but you're missing an important part of gameplay.

Regardless, the unmodded SP game already has this feature. Its called 'don't use combat spells that require gems' - because against the AI you will never need them. Unlike chess, there is no good AI for Dom3.
Fascinating metaphors. You have lifted a veil from my eyes, and now I see your points clearly, and have totally changed opinion on the matter.

This discussion has turned a little infantile, so I don't think there is any point in continuing.
Old October 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
BTW, my experience playing like this, with fatigue set to 99 on spells at the very least makes the AI use more spells. Of course you have the same advantage, but you probably did anyway because you knew to tote gems around to cast those spells. Overall, it's +1 for the AI, and +.05 for you.
Sounds great. In a perfect world I'd rather pay the gem(s) the spells cost, but withdrawn from the treasury and not commanders. I guess this is a decent replacement though, since my wanted game mechanic is impossible.

I have a few other micromanagement improvements I'd love to see as well, but I think I should keep it to myself, or Squirrelloid will blow a gasket.