Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old November 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road
Default Re: distance for company CO and the battalion CO

If he has radio contact, won't he rally units in any event?
Obviously that can be heavily dependent on nationality and year.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian61 View Post
I'm rather curious that no one has mentioned the A0's role in rallying. I almost always keep a fast vehicle near the AO in order to move him to the 'point of maximum effort' as an additional level of rallying. Now Andy and Don have me wondering if I've been making a mistake all these years!
That point is likely where the shellfire is still landing, no?.

Yes, the battalion commander can provide a small extra rally opportunity, but no I'm not going to put him somewhere he may well eat a mortar bomb.

Now if you have a mass rout on your hands, then placing him maybe 1000 yds behind the front line where he can help sweep up the mass of runners (without getting himself stonked) may help out a little bit. But if it is that bad, then you really do have other problems to get sorted methinks !.

And when playing a human opponent - like me - then my policy is to "pepper-pot" deep harassing fires into the router stream to chivvy them along a bit and get some cheap kills. So anyone attempting to use the commander as a deep rallying point behind the front line may well get introduced to Mr mortar bomb (or Madame Katushka, as MRL are a really good thing for sprinkling on routers) !.

Andy
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Corporal

Brian61 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
That point is likely where the shellfire is still landing, no?.
Errm no, unless of course it is my shellfire. I can see we have very different play styles!

Whenever the situation permits, I employ as much mobility and speed of maneuver as available in order to basically outrun enemy indirect fire. It is precisely in that situation where the ability of the A0 to supply that crucial extra tiny bit of rally capability can turn the tide by keeping the main units rolling over opposition rather than getting stalled and becoming susceptible to indirect fire.

This has been, of late, only against computer opponents. Unfortunately my health doesn't allow me to commit to pbem these days and I don't have player vs player experience with this version of SP. That may be where the difference lays and I'll definitely keep your advice in mind should I have the opportunity and ability once again to play vs a human opponent.

Thanks,
Brian
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The "firefighter" method has it's merits as long as you are careful but if you are playing a campaign it's all over if you make a mistake.

20 games into a campaign my bet is most players would start to play more conservatively but for a regular battle or sceanrio the penalties for making a mistake and lossing the A0 are not as severe.

Don
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian61 View Post
I'm rather curious that no one has mentioned the A0's role in rallying. I almost always keep a fast vehicle near the AO in order to move him to the 'point of maximum effort' as an additional level of rallying. Now Andy and Don have me wondering if I've been making a mistake all these years!
Well have you lost your BHQ in all these years?

If the Lt Col represents me, then what sort of CO will I be? Personally, I don't feel right about hiding the BHQ way back in some corner of a wood, but I agree that putting yourself right on the front line isn't sensible. It doesn't serve your troops to go and get killed by recklessness.

I usually prefer to keep BHQ somewhere between the front line and the rear artillery. An area that attracts little enemy artillery. If a company needs extra help then I'll move the BHQ forward to help, but will usually make sure HQ is situated in a stone building, or rough ground with trees, to give good protection from artillery.

I always keep fast or armoured transport nearby, for a quick getaway. But never let BHQ ride on a tank, way too dangerous.

I think I try to feel how the battles going, and get an idea of enemy artillery, and then move BHQ accordingly. So don't move your CO down a road that's being shelled. Don't move BHQ forward into a situation that's already collapsed, and know when to move BHQ towards the rear when things start to collapse and it's too late or too risky to exert meaningful rally influence.

Always keep friendlys between BHQ and the enemy

In my most recent PBEM I had BHQ forward about 300yds behind a successful company attack, helping to rally sections that were not rallying and moving forward with the rest of the company. No arty was landing nearby, and BHQ was safe in a stone building with transport nearby. But then my right flank fell apart, and I could soon have no units between BHQ and the enemy. So I loaded HQ into a vehicle and moved back to a safer location.

One time - in a PBEM that wasn't going well - my BHQ was moving to the rear through a wheat field when it ran smack into two Panther tanks. The jeep was destroyed, and there was at least one casualty when BHQ bailed out. Then I got stuck in firefight with two Panthers, as I attempted to bring a Bren Gun carrier and another Jeep into the field to rescue them. The Bren gun carrier was destroyed, the second Jeep was immobilised, and eventually BHQ escaped through the wheat field on foot after suffering 2 more casualties.

Cross