.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road
Exclamation LLamaserver is ignoring admin requests?

I think maybe the llamaserver web server is processing admin extend requests fine, but the extensions aren't getting pushed to the game server.

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about another game that unexpectedly hosted early, and Beyond just hosted even though this morning the web page said it was not going to host until Sat or something:

http://www.llamaserver.net/doAdminAc...n=showadminlog
21:20 GMT on Wednesday September 30th Hosting delayed by 72 hours.

Code:
Beyond: Staling data

Nation  	 ... 	 Turn 84  	 Total stales 
 Machaka   	 ...  	 Staled  	        5
 Shinuyama   	 ...  	 Turn received  	3
 Pythium   	 ... 	 Staled  	        1
 Atlantis   	 ...  	 Turn received  	3
So, at the moment, it's possible you may not be able to rely on admin game extension requests.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?

Last edited by vfb; October 1st, 2009 at 03:13 AM..
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:53 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LLamaserver is ignoring admin requests

Hmm. Well, luckily tourmaline has not been affected by this mysterious issue thus far, or we'd be getting a lot of stales .
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM

General

I think it's a new problem. Maybe it is just Beyond. I'll know better in about one hour, if Forge hosts.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:06 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Perhaps it is just affecting games made during a certain timeframe...
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM

General

Default Re: LLamaserver is ignoring admin requests?

Well, Forge didn't have any problems. So I've got no idea why Beyond unexpectedly hosted.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

forge had the problem earlier, and I emailed llama about the issue. This latest hosting extension seems to have been fine, though.

the extension that failed had had a couple extensions, and then a negative extension - was there anything similar w/ beyond?

edit: i see there was not.

I think the problem is as you have presented it - some extensions are not being recognized by the game server, even though they are registered by the web page.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

I can confirm this problem, I´ve had it both in Zebra and Aardwark.

At the same time the server didn´t seem to recognize revised turn files. Even though "revised turn" confirmation emails were sent, the turns processed still used the older orders that should have been changed.

Since I issued the delays and sent revised turn files within a few minutes I guess those problems are caused by the same bug.

Otherwise it has worked fine so it seems to be something that happens during short periods of time.
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Had the same issue in the Momentum2 game a couple of weeks ago. The admin log on the llamaserver indicated there was a 6 hour postponement in hosting but it didn't actually go through. I tried again a few hours later and hosting was postponed successfully.
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:54 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

I either currently am admining, or have admined, several games over the past few months, and can also confirm the recent llamaserver disobedience.

My experience to date is that the game obeys the hosting time stated on the game's status page, but any deadline or hosting time you see referenced anywhere else is not to be trusted.

As a prime example, anyone who has ever used the "Postpone Hosting" function can't fail to have noticed the message that comes up afterwards which says....

"Hosting postponed for (Name of Game) by X hours. The game will now host at Time : Day : Date.

Please note that this information will not be updated on the game status page for a few minutes."

The time stated in this message is not to be relied upon at all. Since as a matter of rule, whenever I postpone a game, I always make sure that the llamaserver has updated itself (usually every 5 minutes unless it is currently processing a game turn, when it updates after it), so that I can confidently say that the postponement I requested has actually taken affect. I'd say currently roughly 5% of all the admin jobs I do, and llamaserver functions I use, have to be re-done due to the first attempt not having been carried out by the llamaserver.

To date, everything has gone through on the second attempt, and I have never seen a game host before the deadline (without negative delays featuring in some way).

But I would advise that all admins make sure to check the status pages to ensure postponements are taking affect. And don't rely on either the admin logs or the post postponement message as any sort of guarantee that a postponement requested has actually happened. Since the only hosting time statad anywhere that means anything is the one on the game's status page, so an admin should always check the time on that page until he/she can see the postponement has been registered. Or re-do the postponement if it hasn't registered. Although always make sure the llamaserver has definitely updated itself since the request was made.

Edit: All the above is just in my experince of course, and not how the llamaserver is designed to work (as it usually works very reliably indeed)

Last edited by Calahan; October 1st, 2009 at 04:04 PM..
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

I am pretty sure the hosting time had changed on the status page for that forge turn, since that is where I check and I remember checking and seeing the expected time; unhappily, I did not have the prescience to make a screenshot