This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 17th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Sergeant

Wade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5 Demo Bug Reports

It's very minor but stll noticable compared to the system screen.

My system:
Intel 2.8 ghz
256 GB video card (Nvidia)
1 GB dual memory
200 GB HD (Maxtor)
Windows XP
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:20 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kana said:
The other, was I had a fleet...over a planet, which also had a 'fleet' of Satellites in orbit. I selected what I thought was the ship fleet, and ended up selecting them both. Then moved them in the system to another hex, and both 'fleets' moved.
You should have seen a bug in the early beta...if you selected a planet and a fleet, then tried to move the fleet, the planet would move as well!! It was really quite amusing.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM

Sergeant

inigma is on a distinguished road

oooh moving planets, now there's an idea...
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM

Sergeant

Hey! That would be a great peice of late technology! The ability to move planets and travel like a ship. Once the planet has attained self sustaining heat from the civilization. This was in the Ringworld series by Larry Niven. The Puppeteer race have their "Fleet of Worlds" of 5 planets. Home world and 4 farm planets.

Ringworlds and Sphereworlds could be made to travel also!
The Ringworld in the story was also adjusted to travel in the fourth novel, 'Ringworld's Children'.
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:30 PM

Sergeant

inigma is on a distinguished road

I was also thinking about how cool revolutions around the central star would be on a turn by turn basis - after all turns take a month each, right? Hmmm, tractor beams, and normal planetary and object revolutions.

...ok back on topic now, I'm breaking my own thread rule.
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

I completely disagree. We're talking about interstellar spacecraft here.

Tell that to the 3D designers who did the models for the spacecraft. The hulls angle inwards, do all sorts of things, the majority of them are not simple square slabs.
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:37 PM

Sergeant

Like Captain Kwok said:

"I just think he's being a little too literal on the use of the term "decks". It's really just a way of providing the extra slots on a design."
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

MarkSheppard, I thank you for your "opinions" but not for your unsubtle rudeness. Have a nice day...

If you don't want me to be "rude" don't say things which insult my intelligence highly.

And by the way, to assume that hundreds of years from now the dynamics of ship design and combat will be very similiar to today is "idiotic". Like comparing the placement of weapons on a ancient Greek warship to an American Missile Cruiser! "It's the future!" (Also it's a game.)

I see my previous lecture did not sink in. You can't cram a billion archers onto a Greek Tireme in much the same way you can't cram a billion missiles onto an AEGIS cruiser; there are system limitations which present themselves. While an Archer is a very low impact weapons system which does not require heavy reinforcement of the ship's structure, or heavy power cabling runs; he still requires enough space on deck to load, pull, and fire his bow effectively; this imposes an upper limit on how many archers you can cram onto a trieme and be effective.

(Also it's a game.)

Then I guess we better play balance the M4 Sherman and Tiger I so that the German player in a game doesn't gain an unfair advantage!
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:46 PM

Sergeant

-----Exception error: In vehicle design, Space Simulator list of vehicles. I added a star, a planet, and a warp point. I then clicked on "Add Vehicle" a few times. It was adding more warp points to the list. I double clicked on one in the list and got the error and a white screen.
Update: It does this error also if you click the "Remove Vehicle" button.

-----Exception error: During Space Simulation: Tactical: Five identical Frigates versus the same five identical frigates. One enemy ship came at my group of five. It started to explode after the attack. The explosion (and the simulation)froze. I tried to move my ships then the game crashed.
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:51 PM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road

I understand Mark Sheppard's point and was hoping for a similar mechanism, where the shapes of each deck were based on the design of the ship in question. For example, a Trek ship like the various NCC-1701 Enterprises would have the Upper Deck saucer-shaped with slots over the saucer, the Middle Deck with a few boxes over the front of the engineering section (where the neck is) and boxes over the nacelles, and the Lower Deck a rectangular group of boxes over the Engineering/Secondary Hull section.

Then again, I was also expecting weapon and engine slots ala Starfury. If you are going to go with the slot system, go all the way. Maybe in Space Empires V GOLD, if we bug him enough.

But on the flip side, I AM reasonably content to soldier on with what we have now. I like it, and try not to make abusive and non-sensical component arrangements.

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++